Was the NCG halftime show the worst ever? - Page 13
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team RammaJamma10's Avatar

Re: Was the NCG halftime show the worst ever?

The problem with getting rappers to perform at events like the NCG is that their songs contain explicit lyrics, which means they can't sing half of them, so then the performance ends up sounding like a radio cutting out with all the start/stop of actual words being said.

Kendrick Lamar is incredible, and deserved the Grammy's he won hands down. Bruno Mars, however, is not incredible but has learned how to be incredible to teenagers so his popularity guides him through. Childish Gambino "Awaken My Love" is one of the best albums released in a long time. As one writer said, it was probably the most influential album released since maybe Purple Rain.

/music snob here

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by RammaJamma10 View Post
    The problem with getting rappers to perform at events like the NCG is that their songs contain explicit lyrics, which means they can't sing half of them, so then the performance ends up sounding like a radio cutting out with all the start/stop of actual words being said.

Kendrick Lamar is incredible, and deserved the Grammy's he won hands down. Bruno Mars, however, is not incredible but has learned how to be incredible to teenagers so his popularity guides him through. Childish Gambino "Awaken My Love" is one of the best albums released in a long time. As one writer said, it was probably the most influential album released since maybe Purple Rain.

/music snob here
    Music is one of those things that's widely personal, it attracts people in different ways , some of it's timeless some i attribute to the flavor of the week. I'm extremely picky in my music selection but having said that, I grew up in the late 80's rock and 90's alternative. I never grew out of that. To this day , I gravitate towards 80's rock, alternative, classic rock and blues. I never found an interest in rap or r&b, never even followed country music. Kendrick Lamar's certainly not my style but I was a fan of prince ...
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I think whether music is "good" or "bad" depends on who's listening. We've got a person in this thread who is in the music industry by trade and says KL lacks talent and then folks who are self proclaimed music snobs who think KL is incredible.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RammaJamma10 View Post

/music snob here
    Bruno Mars is a better performer than Kendrick Lamar. Lamar is a superior lyricist.
    Lamar is a poet, Mars is an entertainer.
    Neither is a dirty thing to be.
    ďAnd what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.Ē
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I think whether music is "good" or "bad" depends on who's listening. We've got a person in this thread who is in the music industry by trade and says KL lacks talent and then folks who are self proclaimed music snobs who think KL is incredible.
    Myself I picked up a guitar when I was 8 , somehow found myself playing blues ....I started playing shows by 12 and when into rock from there. I think ones background and upbringing may contribute to some as to what they like or do not like but for me I certainly have to feel a relation to the music , almost be able to bond with the musician. I found that blues and rock served me better as a vehicle to express any songs or emotions I have. Of course I don't make a living off of it and mines certainly not by trade. Though I wished at times it were:-)
    Last edited by JTBama; January 31st, 2018 at 10:16 AM.
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

BamaNation First Team TomFromBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    This ^^

Its not my "cup of tea" - in fact, I wouldn't walk across the street to see Lamar, or any of his ilk. And yet, his fans will give him more money from sales of his "music" (sic) in the next 5 minutes than I will earn at my job in the several months.

Different strokes.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses..."
    Dennis of Mercia, British Statesman/Philosopher,
    (895 A.D. - ?).

just to resurrect this thread, i saw that kendrick lamar won a pulitzer prize for music for his last album

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    just to resurrect this thread, i saw that kendrick lamar won a pulitzer prize for music for his last album

Not that this is a reflection of his work, but I had literally no idea they gave a Pulitzer for music.

I always associated them with the written word.

So hearing this feels like someone getting an Emmy for best 30 minutes crockpot recipe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    ďAnd what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.Ē
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    Not that this is a reflection of his work, but I had literally no idea they gave a Pulitzer for music.

I always associated them with the written word.

So hearing this feels like someone getting an Emmy for best 30 minutes crockpot recipe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    i never knew that either until i saw this.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation First Team

Wasn't there a time when Pulitzer prize meant something? What do you get nowadays for winning...a Sam's club membership card? No offense to any Sam's club membership card holders on here.

Quote Originally Posted by TUSCALOOSAHONOR View Post
    Wasn't there a time when Pulitzer prize meant something? What do you get nowadays for winning...a Sam's club membership card? No offense to any Sam's club membership card holders on here.
    it still does mean something.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation First Team

But you're telling me...that the guy singing the crap show at halftime won one? Won a Pulitzer....singing like that? Lol...I may just have to send in recordings of my shower singing to the Pulitzer people.

BamaNation First Team im4uainva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    it still does mean something.
    I think it was (IIRC), Minkah, that stated he appreciated his Bama experience, except for the Country Music played at BDS. I get that, I understand that, I know where he's coming from and I respect his preferences. That being said, with all due respect, my Sam Club's membership card is a thousand times more useful to me that anything a rapper can produce...no offense.

ROLL TIDE!