Was the NCG halftime show the worst ever?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Halftime entertainment: I'd rather be able to watch and listen to the Million Dollar Band than hear a singer, even if it's my favorite singer. This is a football game, NOT a concert!

That helps me relax while getting ready for the 2nd Half of the game and OT, if necessary!

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
It's the worst one I have ever seen.

I used to work with a fella in Birmingham that was a sound engineer. He did stadium shows for Prince, Frank Zappa, and The Police just to name drop a few before retiring from the road. He told me that you can make a live band sound right anywhere, it just takes work and planning. TIFWIW

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
*It's the worst one I have ever seen.

I used to work with a fella in Birmingham that was a sound engineer. He did stadium shows for Prince, Frank Zappa, and The Police just to name drop a few before retiring from the road. **He told me that you can make a live band sound right anywhere, it just takes work and planning. TIFWIW
*We've got a music expert on our board (Crimsonaudio) who could give a professional opinion on it. Maybe he'll give us his professional opinion on the performance.

**I'm no sound expert or musical expert but I've always been told if you want to know if someone could really sing or if they were just a studio creation, is listen to them sing live. So you're saying a good sound engineer can cover up a bad singer even in a live performance?

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
*We've got a music expert on our board (Crimsonaudio) who could give a professional opinion on it. Maybe he'll give us his professional opinion on the performance.

**I'm no sound expert or musical expert but I've always been told if you want to know if someone could really sing or if they were just a studio creation, is listen to them sing live. So you're saying a good sound engineer can cover up a bad singer even in a live performance?
No way can a sound engineer make a bad singer good, at least not live. They can, however, make any venue sound good according the the fella I was talking about.

Last edited:

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Hey, I've always been the dude on the stage. I know a bit about running sound, but I ask this guy to teach me about running live sound like he does and he starts writing on a napkin. He handed it to me and it was full of equations that looked like calculus. I stuck with instruments.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Hey, I've always been the dude on the stage. I know a bit about running sound, but I ask this guy to teach me about running live sound like he does and he starts writing on a napkin. He handed it to me and it was full of equations that looked like calculus. I stuck with instruments.
I play guitar and drums, rarely do I have to do my own sound or audio work, if we sound bad I just look at my buddy who sets us up and say "man ...what did you do?' it's a running joke for us:)

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
All we got in the stadium was the two Marching Bands. I'm sure many here would have prefered that.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
One of the few rappers out there not trying to pass off r&b as rap.

I can understand many here not being a fan, based off age demographics. But it was good for an outdoor concert in downtown Atlanta

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
My wife looked at me and I threw my hands up. I've never heard such. Maybe half time shows have out grown this 70 yr. old. I will start finding something else to watch at half time during next bowl games. Why not a good blues band?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
so, to sum up this thread
While it's easy to dismiss those who don't like this just like many like to take shots at the latest evil scourge of our planet - millennials - I don't think this is as cut-and-dried as that.

Sure, there are some that are XX years old and aren't willing to give it a chance, but there are also plenty of young people on here (or people like myself who are a bit 'middle aged' but probably listen to more current music than most anyone) who are fully aware of who KL is and what he does. I chose not to listen to it not because of his genre of choice, etc, but because I find him to be both boring and rather devoid of talent...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
While it's easy to dismiss those who don't like this just like many like to take shots at the latest evil scourge of our planet - millennials - I don't think this is as cut-and-dried as that.

Sure, there are some that are XX years old and aren't willing to give it a chance, but there are also plenty of young people on here (or people like myself who are a bit 'middle aged' but probably listen to more current music than most anyone) who are fully aware of who KL is and what he does. I chose not to listen to it not because of his genre of choice, etc, but because I find him to be both boring and rather devoid of talent...
i had to google the guy during halftime to see who he was. it was playing in the background and i didn't really pay much attention to it other than noticing the size of the crowd.

as much as i cannot stand popular music, he seems to have something going on as he is making a few hits.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
There are some really good current bands out there that actually play guitars, drums, keyboards, bass, etc., and do a really good job of it. The problem is that it doesn't sell quite like this current mind-numbing thing called hip hop (and I know they aren't the same, but I neither know nor care enough to distinguish rap from hip hop). Personally, I would have put the Foo Fighters or Artic Monkeys out there, but that's just more to my music preferences.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
My wife looked at me and I threw my hands up. I've never heard such. Maybe half time shows have out grown this 70 yr. old. I will start finding something else to watch at half time during next bowl games. Why not a good blues band?
Yeah, the blues would have been appropriate for our game at halftime. Hahaha. I can always dig on some blues.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I was looking for more of a "show" type performance from him. His performance on the VMAs was a better example of the type of "show" performance I was expecting from him. Again, I can understand there were more things in play with the performance that we may not know about (what ESPN allowed for the performance, ect) but I just think it wasn't his best.

Now if folks didn't like it because the genre of music ... then that's a different story all together lol

ESPN got a superstar act that would resonate with the college age group and if the reaction of those that were shown in the crowd were any indication then it was a success with the demographic they were targeting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.