Was the NCG halftime show the worst ever?

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
i doubt either of those things would have brought in the viewers that lamar did.
If that's what it takes to get viewers for the game, they shouldn't be allowed to watch in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
well, it looks like the talentless hack kendrick lamar did pretty well at the grammys
Lots of talentless hacks have Grammy's. It doesn’t mean they aren’t talentless. I never watch awards shows anyway, I find them boring. Plus I like what I like and no award show will change my opinion.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Lots of talentless hacks have Grammy's. It doesn’t mean they aren’t talentless. I never watch awards shows anyway, I find them boring. Plus I like what I like and no award show will change my opinion.
yeah, who even pays attention to grammys anyway. they give them out like candy

but hey, those award shows might be boring, but not boring enough to not complain about the next day.

Go4Two1966

Jan 14, 2018
I was honestly too busy pacing around my house and worrying. I didn't notice the guy, thank god from what you all said.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I was honestly too busy pacing around my house and worrying. I didn't notice the guy, thank god from what you all said.
I have not watched an award show or a halftime show in many, many years. You know how out of touch I am. Although I did not watch it I could hear it in the background and I did not like it. I hate Rap, Opera and that so-called Singing that is nothing more than screaming and yelling into a mike. Yes, I am and Old Codger.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
At least their music was good :)...but seriously....I turned on the radio the other day and they still play milli vanilli
The real people singing were apparently too "ugly". I believe the real people singing were also 3 people. You know, I don't ever remember hearing their names or the producers and studio. They were able to push all the blame on those 2 guys .

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
The real people singing were apparently too "ugly". I believe the real people singing were also 3 people. You know, I don't ever remember hearing their names or the producers and studio. They were able to push all the blame on those 2 guys .
There were three men and two women .....behind two voices.....but in the end , they could "blame it on the rain"

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I haven't really said anything in this thread because it's mostly a bunch of "GET OFF MY LAWN!!" type comments, but I do agree that the halfftime show was miserable.

Not because rap is a garbage medium or whatever, but rap, oftentimes, requires more from the performer and more theatrics to actually entertain the audience in a live venue.

Consider someone like Bruno Mars. Whatever one thinks of his music overall there is no doubt that he puts on a good show. He has all the elements: theatrics, the band, the dance moves and the big set pieces. There's a lot of variety is what he puts on stage.

KL's show was just a giant stage and one dude walking around holding a mic in his hand with a puffy coat on. The set rig was decent but KL had nothing else performance wise going for him. Not to mention live rap never comes across as composed and metered live as it does on the album. It's an exertion thing. The pure act of walking around on stage in the freezing cold makes everything sound a little more breathless. Contrast this with live singers and they can get away with it because they are already exerting a ton of force.

My honest opinion was that the show was NOT very good - but not because "rap sux" or anything like that. I think KL needed to consider the "show" angle of it a little more. It was especially dull for tv to continually have to just cut between KL with an arm and a microphone covering half his face and then crowd shots. Very taxing to watch.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Also put 0 stock in awards shows. Make no mistake that they are not the barometer for excellence or artistic achievement in the given field.

I have a friend who was nominated for an Oscar a few years ago (didn't end up winning) but the studio that bought his film payed a ton of money to have it nominated. It's essentially pay to win.There are a network of festivals and private screeners that these films go through and with the right amount of money in the right hands these pieces get nominated and win. It's a pretty open secret, so much so that a joke was made about it during the broadcast of the Oscars by one of the presenters.

All awards shows are like this.

For film, at least, there are awards that that are more indicative of where the quality and excellence in the industry but they are usually trade guild's like the ASC or small niche awards.

Awards are tricky like that. The presence of a nom or win doesn't necessarily signify excellence but it's not a hard and fast rule.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have a friend who was nominated for an Oscar a few years ago (didn't end up winning) but the studio that bought his film payed a ton of money to have it nominated. It's essentially pay to win.There are a network of festivals and private screeners that these films go through and with the right amount of money in the right hands these pieces get nominated and win. It's a pretty open secret, so much so that a joke was made about it during the broadcast of the Oscars by one of the presenters.

All awards shows are like this.
I'm on the board of governors for The Recording Academy and can tell you with absolute certainty that the Grammys are nothing like you describe above.

So while I have no problem with people being critical of awards shows, artists, etc, I do have a problem with people spreading false information as fact.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
The problem with getting rappers to perform at events like the NCG is that their songs contain explicit lyrics, which means they can't sing half of them, so then the performance ends up sounding like a radio cutting out with all the start/stop of actual words being said.

Kendrick Lamar is incredible, and deserved the Grammy's he won hands down. Bruno Mars, however, is not incredible but has learned how to be incredible to teenagers so his popularity guides him through. Childish Gambino "Awaken My Love" is one of the best albums released in a long time. As one writer said, it was probably the most influential album released since maybe Purple Rain.

/music snob here

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
The problem with getting rappers to perform at events like the NCG is that their songs contain explicit lyrics, which means they can't sing half of them, so then the performance ends up sounding like a radio cutting out with all the start/stop of actual words being said.

Kendrick Lamar is incredible, and deserved the Grammy's he won hands down. Bruno Mars, however, is not incredible but has learned how to be incredible to teenagers so his popularity guides him through. Childish Gambino "Awaken My Love" is one of the best albums released in a long time. As one writer said, it was probably the most influential album released since maybe Purple Rain.

/music snob here
Music is one of those things that's widely personal, it attracts people in different ways , some of it's timeless some i attribute to the flavor of the week. I'm extremely picky in my music selection but having said that, I grew up in the late 80's rock and 90's alternative. I never grew out of that. To this day , I gravitate towards 80's rock, alternative, classic rock and blues. I never found an interest in rap or r&b, never even followed country music. Kendrick Lamar's certainly not my style but I was a fan of prince ...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think whether music is "good" or "bad" depends on who's listening. We've got a person in this thread who is in the music industry by trade and says KL lacks talent and then folks who are self proclaimed music snobs who think KL is incredible.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

/music snob here
Bruno Mars is a better performer than Kendrick Lamar. Lamar is a superior lyricist.
Lamar is a poet, Mars is an entertainer.
Neither is a dirty thing to be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.