Was the NCG halftime show the worst ever?

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I think whether music is "good" or "bad" depends on who's listening. We've got a person in this thread who is in the music industry by trade and says KL lacks talent and then folks who are self proclaimed music snobs who think KL is incredible.
Myself I picked up a guitar when I was 8 , somehow found myself playing blues ....I started playing shows by 12 and when into rock from there. I think ones background and upbringing may contribute to some as to what they like or do not like but for me I certainly have to feel a relation to the music , almost be able to bond with the musician. I found that blues and rock served me better as a vehicle to express any songs or emotions I have. Of course I don't make a living off of it and mines certainly not by trade. Though I wished at times it were:)

Last edited:

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I think whether music is "good" or "bad" depends on who's listening. We've got a person in this thread who is in the music industry by trade and says KL lacks talent and then folks who are self proclaimed music snobs who think KL is incredible.
This ^^

Its not my "cup of tea" - in fact, I wouldn't walk across the street to see Lamar, or any of his ilk. And yet, his fans will give him more money from sales of his "music" (sic) in the next 5 minutes than I will earn at my job in the several months.

Different strokes.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
just to resurrect this thread, i saw that kendrick lamar won a pulitzer prize for music for his last album

https://twitter.com/abc/status/985958652656930816

Not that this is a reflection of his work, but I had literally no idea they gave a Pulitzer for music.

I always associated them with the written word.

So hearing this feels like someone getting an Emmy for best 30 minutes crockpot recipe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not that this is a reflection of his work, but I had literally no idea they gave a Pulitzer for music.

I always associated them with the written word.

So hearing this feels like someone getting an Emmy for best 30 minutes crockpot recipe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
i never knew that either until i saw this.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
it still does mean something.
I think it was (IIRC), Minkah, that stated he appreciated his Bama experience, except for the Country Music played at BDS. I get that, I understand that, I know where he's coming from and I respect his preferences. That being said, with all due respect, my Sam Club's membership card is a thousand times more useful to me that anything a rapper can produce...no offense.

ROLL TIDE!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I prefer my policy of not watching halftime shows. It has never let me down.

(Yes, I watch the ones at BDS because there isn't much choice if I stay in my seat, but they're pretty vanilla).

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
I think it was (IIRC), Minkah, that stated he appreciated his Bama experience, except for the Country Music played at BDS. I get that, I understand that, I know where he's coming from and I respect his preferences. That being said, with all due respect, my Sam Club's membership card is a thousand times more useful to me that anything a rapper can produce...no offense.

ROLL TIDE!
They sure have contributed to the decline of our culture

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Only country music I'd prefer to listen to at BDS is Dixieland Delight and Sweet Home Alabama.

Otherwise give me Hip Hop or some upbeat Rock anyday.

I love our culture.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

ROLL TIDE!
Yeah ... Sam's Club really has contributed to the decline of our culture.

As far as winning he Pultizer goes, it still remains a huge honor so kudos to the young man and everyone else that's won one this year.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

ROLL TIDE!
people say things like this as if it means something to others. Its your preference and thats it. FWIW i'd take rap over country every day of the week. but i'm not about to judge an artist just because he's a country music singer. it's not my cup of tea, but that doesnt make him a bad artist

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
people say things like this as if it means something to others. Its your preference and thats it. FWIW i'd take rap over country every day of the week. but i'm not about to judge an artist just because he's a country music singer. it's not my cup of tea, but that doesnt make him a bad artist
At one time rap music was performed by people who deserved the criticism that they received. They were not trying to escape the violence of the streets - they were using that violence to sell albums. Like it or not, the performers still embrace the imagery of that era because it sells. Most rappers are not thugs, but too many pretend to be thugs to sell albums.

I like all music, but am drawn more toward the music of my youth. I tried watching this guy's half-time show and the show was just bad. I have no idea how good or bad his music might be because of the poor production quality.

As for him winning an award for his music - he should be very happy that they didn't make their decision based on the show that I watched.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
At one time rap music was performed by people who deserved the criticism that they received. They were not trying to escape the violence of the streets - they were using that violence to sell albums. Like it or not, the performers still embrace the imagery of that era because it sells. Most rappers are not thugs, but too many pretend to be thugs to sell albums.

I like all music, but am drawn more toward the music of my youth. I tried watching this guy's half-time show and the show was just bad. I have no idea how good or bad his music might be because of the poor production quality.

As for him winning an award for his music - he should be very happy that they didn't make their decision based on the show that I watched.
Kendrick Lamar is a very hard working rapper, all of his albums are great to me in my opinion. I don’t know if you were trying to paint Kendrick as a violent, thuggish rapper, but he’s far from that. His subject matter is conscious and sometimes he’ll crossover into trap, but he’s very versatile, he’s had artists such as George Clinton and U2 on his albums. Kendrick isn’t bad on stage either, he’s not a Beyoncé or Bruno but a lot of rappers aren’t great onstage unless you’re talking about J Cole, Jay Z, or Kanye West.

I was too anxious about us being down by 13 at halftime to watch the performance anyway lol.

Kendrick Lamar is a very hard working rapper, all of his albums are great to me in my opinion. I don’t know if you were trying to paint Kendrick as a violent, thuggish rapper, but he’s far from that. His subject matter is conscious and sometimes he’ll crossover into trap, but he’s very versatile, he’s had artists such as George Clinton and U2 on his albums. Kendrick isn’t bad on stage either, he’s not a Beyoncé or Bruno but a lot of rappers aren’t great onstage unless you’re talking about J Cole, Jay Z, or Kanye West.

I was too anxious about us being down by 13 at halftime to watch the performance anyway lol.
Totally agree.

It just wasn’t the right stage for him. It all looked off. Who ever “produced” it didn’t have their heads on right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I prefer my policy of not watching halftime shows. It has never let me down.

(Yes, I watch the ones at BDS because there isn't much choice if I stay in my seat, but they're pretty vanilla).
I quit watching all halftime shows a few years ago. It took me a while to learn that I did not need a recap of what I just saw and I really didn't need to know what the overpaid "expert" thought.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I quit watching all halftime shows a few years ago. It took me a while to learn that I did not need a recap of what I just saw and I really didn't need to know what the overpaid "expert" thought.
Pretty much my sentiments plus I get tired of musical crap I hate. Keep in mind my degree is in Music......well, one of them....

I will confess the U2 halftime at SB 36 was awesome but that may have been due to the subject matter of 9/11. I cringed at the Black Eyed Peas at the Dallas Super Bowl, it was awful.

I set a timer and bathe during those games. I don’t really want us to bring back Up With People but they had some decent shows.

I did not bathe during the UGA game because I was on the phone cussing at my Oregon bud, telling him I was so desperate that Tua was our Jedi - our only hope.

Every year I hear “X did great/terrible at half time.” Don’t. Even. Care.

(Some of the BDS songs during breaks are good, some not so much. I doubt Minkah gets into “Thank God I’m A Country Boy.”)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.