Link: Deja vu on the Bayou: Early exits hit LSU hardest in college football

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I suspect LSU will be fine, as I'm betting that a year from now their head coach will have the initials DA. And I think that's why he was retained for the amount he was - everyone who knows anything about CFB knows that Orgeron's days are numbered...
One of the beat writers from Baton Rouge called in to our local sports talk show and he said the "deep pocket donors" are embarrassed and feel like they were deceived. Supposedly they "signed off on" Orgeron because he was going to play a "CEO" role and hire top notch coordinators to run the offense and defense. Up to this point they've had to pay a DC head coaching money to get him to stay and just hired an OC no one's ever heard of. The Cajuns ain't happy and the beat writer said it wouldn't surprise him one bit if next season was it for Orgeron, even with a winning record. He would have to beat Bama and play in SECCG to save his job. That's how ticked off they are.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
One of the beat writers from Baton Rouge called in to our local sports talk show and he said the "deep pocket donors" are embarrassed and feel like they were deceived. Supposedly they "signed off" on Orgeron because he was going to play a "CEO" role and high top notch coordinators to run the offense and defense. Up to this point they've had to pay a DC head coaching money to get him to stay and just hired an OC no one's ever heard of. The Cajuns ain't happy and the beat writer said it wouldn't surprise him one bit if next season was it for Orgeron, even with a winning record. He would have to beat Bama and play in SECCG to save his job. That's how ticked off they are.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
One of the beat writers from Baton Rouge called in to our local sports talk show and he said the "deep pocket donors" are embarrassed and feel like they were deceived. Supposedly they "signed off" on Orgeron because he was going to play a "CEO" role and high top notch coordinators to run the offense and defense. Up to this point they've had to pay a DC head coaching money to get him to stay and just hired an OC no one's ever heard of. The Cajuns ain't happy and the beat writer said it wouldn't surprise him one bit if next season was it for Orgeron, even with a winning record. He would have to beat Bama and play in SECCG to save his job. That's how ticked off they are.
Louisiana sure is a nicer place to live these days, isn't it? :)

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I was trying to get a friend to bet that next year LSwho wouldn't be better than 7-5 next year. He said no way, I think if Ogle is still in 2019 they will have a losing record.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I was trying to get a friend to bet that next year LSwho wouldn't be better than 7-5 next year. He said no way, I think if Ogle is still in 2019 they will have a losing record.
They won't win more than 8 regular season games next season. And considering the coaching level of O, 8 regular season wins would be very good. Just not "good" for the LSU program.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I can understand your view of LSU, since you refer to the 90s, but for us who have been around a few moments longer, LSU has been a big time program for a long time. They were probably Bama's greatest aid in gaining respect for the SEC in the 60s and 70s. And who can forget listening to the night games on WWL in the 60s and 70s when very few had them, Hap Glaudi, then Buddy D, the Cajun names and special games ? They helped give Bama a NC in '65 by beating undefeated, number 2 Ark in the Cotton, paving the way, along with UCLA's 14-12 win over num 1 Mich State in the Rose, for number 4 Bama to beat num 3 Neb the night in a glorious Orange Bowl. I consider them the number 2 program in SEC history, having passed UT in the 2000s.

According to College Football Data Warehouse's rankings, here is their (and my) all time number 9 LSU's rankings through the decades.

30s: 16
40s: 8
50s: 9
60s: 6
70s: 14
80s: 24
90s: 42
00s: 3

In 8 decades they had 7 top 25 finishes, 6 top 16, 4 top 10 - that's great consistency. They are second in the SEC to Bama in NCs with 3, 2nd in decades with an SEC title with 7, 2nd in major bowl victories, 2nd in major bowl appearances. Most of all, with all of their success, they have usually been a sweet big time win for Bama. It's hard to consider LSU a true blue blood, IMO there are only 7, maybe 8, but they are next in line. They are probably the most charismatic in a quirky, yet endearing way. Les Miles was the perfect fit.
OMG, did you just bring back some great memories ( and make me feel old at the same time! ) !

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
One of the differences between Saban and Miles is that Saban recruits and plays to championships. Les recruited with promises of the NFL. Once again, LSU had the most players in the nfl in 2017 (all Les recruits). We’ll make a big deal out of that. It works with some, but the overall championship and team attitude was missing under Miles. Who knows what in the world the mantra is under O.

We will have a top 10 class or very close to it this year. The only good thing about O so far is that he is forgoing a couple splash recruits to address the needs in the trenches.

Regardless, I think Crimsonaudio is on to something, our 2019 coach just might have the initials DA.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
What's really interesting to me is the two OL that are departing their program early. Unless truly spectacular players you don't often see many OL jump early.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of the differences between Saban and Miles is that Saban recruits and plays to championships. Les recruited with promises of the NFL. Once again, LSU had the most players in the nfl in 2017 (all Les recruits). We’ll make a big deal out of that. It works with some, but the overall championship and team attitude was missing under Miles. Who knows what in the world the mantra is under O.

We will have a top 10 class or very close to it this year. The only good thing about O so far is that he is forgoing a couple splash recruits to address the needs in the trenches.

Regardless, I think Crimsonaudio is on to something, our 2019 coach just might have the initials DA.
Every year teams have guys depart who shouldn't and we're no different. I haven't made a study of it, but it just seems to me, from casual memory, that LSU has had more than its share of people leaving who apparently were just leaving to escape the situation...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Here are the all time W/L records for the SEC:

1. Bama ..........891-328-43 70.6%
2. Tennessee....833-383-54 65.6%
3. LSU.............788-412-47 63.2%
4. Georgia........809-420-54 63.1%

I got these off some stat site and saved then but I can't remember which.

It appears Saban Hater University (SHU) is heading South with Yawh Yawh. :pDT_tit: :pDT_popc:

:party:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Wow, memory lane. Not only those night games on 50,000 watt WWL but also the station’s broadcasts from the Blue Room (jazz club) at the Roosevelt Hotel. The hotel is still there and is branded Waldorf Astoria, but what they call the Blue Room is just another convention meeting space. To a kid in the woods north of Jasper, AL, listening to a radio in the dark, that broadcast was the most exotic thing I could imagine.
I remember those days fondly. I would go sit in the car (for better reception) and listen to WWL on the radio. Remember when you had to take the distributer cap off, bump the starter and rotate the points where they were not touching to avoid burning the points up? I was so thankful when Dad got a car with ACC on the ignition and then I could just go listen without raising the hood and going thru all that.

There were those FM radio football Pick Of Dixie games too which were Saturday night on a Cullman station.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
The lesson learned from LSU is that you don't get rid of your successful coach until you have a quality replacement ready. Ask Texas, ask Tennessee. You run off a coach that has had success, you need to have the right guy lined up. Georgia had the right guy lined up, but even they took a risk. You run off a guy who sustained success and won a championship though, you are asking for trouble.
This.... spot on.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I really hate to see the conference get any weaker. It would be nice for our SOS to increase with inter-conference play.
I think our SOS will always be just fine playing in the SEC. I think we continue to rule the West, but I think A&M and Auburn are now set-up to battle for second more so than LSU. Those three and MSU will produce at least one good team each year. Who knows what to expect from Arky and Ole Siss at this point? I can't even remember who Arky hired as their coach. The East is starting to take shape as an improving group. UGA is now clearly the front runner with the way Kirbster is recruiting. UT and UF are hoping their new hires can turn things around quickly. We'll see. USC was solid this year. UK is still inconsistent and takes a step back every time they take a step forward. Who knows with Missouri, and Vandy is Vandy. The SEC is still top notch even when they have a down year. We play defense, so it doesn't always look as pretty as conferences that sling it around and have 60-55 games, but we still have solid football, IMO.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Every year teams have guys depart who shouldn't and we're no different. I haven't made a study of it, but it just seems to me, from casual memory, that LSU has had more than its share of people leaving who apparently were just leaving to escape the situation...
Your perception is somewhat correct and I think we are saying the same thing. For example, last year we lost former 5* WR Malachi Dupre to the nfl. He went undrafted, but made it on a practice squad. Did our situation at QB give him excitement about staying? No, but he should have. We needed him this year, especially at Bama when our offense had a small pulse compared to the two previous years.
I wouldn’t necessarily call it an escape as much as it is “time to move on”.

This year, of the early exits, the only one that surprised me was our C Clapp, but he was a 4 year player having taken a RS. I understand going, and not sure his draft stock would improve. As far as a guy like Sci Martin transferring - he never played a down and had academic issues.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...=1869&end=2017&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

LSU is 4th all-time in winning % in the SEC (against all competition). UA is far ahead followed by 11nessee and UGa. AU and UF are a step back from there.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...ississippi&team=MississippiState&team=TexasAM

LSU is 5th in the SEC in winning% against SEC foes.

11nessee, Georgia, and Florida lead LSU but are far behind UA.

UGa and 11nessee have 13 SEC titles each and taken together equal UA's number. LSU follows with 11, then AU and UF are tied at 8 each.

UA and UF have lead the pack since the split into divisions.

LSU won 5 division (and 4 conference) titles from 2001-2011 and have not reached the SECCG before or since.

11nessee has not won the SEC since 1998. UF last won it in 2008.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.