Link: Deja vu on the Bayou: Early exits hit LSU hardest in college football
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Deja vu on the Bayou: Early exits hit LSU hardest in college football

Click

This year's early departures make 33 over the last 6 years. So many questions to be asked about that program and their overall production in that time frame.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: Deja vu on the Bayou: Early exits hit LSU hardest in college football

Ogre is taking them where he took Ole Miss. To the bottom of the barrel.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

Just shows they get top talent. Need to use them while they are there.
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Y'all remember Curly Hallman and Gerry DiNardo don't you? I know I do. Never considered LSU anything more than a doormat growing up. Although new forces will step in to take their place, I'm happy to see them going back.

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Click

This year's early departures make 33 over the last 6 years. So many questions to be asked about that program and their overall production in that time frame.
    they can't wait to get out of there

BamaNation First Team

The article seems to be saying that LSU is a victim of just bad luck in that so many of their underclassmen have left early over the last few years. I think it's glossing over what the real issue is there, and probably intentionally since identifying the issue isn't necessarily the intent of the article.

I don't think LSU has had more talent than us over the last 5 years. Looking at some of the names of the LSU players that left early is puzzling. I just think the talent at LSU is much more willing to leave early for two reasons. Primarily, Alabama players are consistently playing for SEC and national titles and LSU players aren't, so what is the incentive to stay at LSU. Also, Alabama players are probably getting much more thorough and honest advice as to whether staying or leaving will improve their NFL prospects.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The point I was trying to make earlier is that LSU had talent back in the 90s. No, not elite like they started having under Coach Saban, but the kind of talent that ought to have yielded 10 win seasons every so often back then, no losing seasons at all, and an SEC title or two along the way. But, their leadership (coaching) stunk. LSU has reverted to the mean. It's been a slow decline, but we're here now and you're about to see the results sink more rapidly to the cellar.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Power Eye View Post
    The article seems to be saying that LSU is a victim of just bad luck in that so many of their underclassmen have left early over the last few years. I think it's glossing over what the real issue is there, and probably intentionally since identifying the issue isn't necessarily the intent of the article.

I don't think LSU has had more talent than us over the last 5 years. Looking at some of the names of the LSU players that left early is puzzling. I just think the talent at LSU is much more willing to leave early for two reasons. Primarily, Alabama players are consistently playing for SEC and national titles and LSU players aren't, so what is the incentive to stay at LSU. Also, Alabama players are probably getting much more thorough and honest advice as to whether staying or leaving will improve their NFL prospects.
    That and the only person who understood how to manage an early-exodus group at LSU was Les Miles. But he couldn't figure it out fully. The only ones who I think understand how to do that are Nick Saban and Urban Meyer.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Y'all remember Curly Hallman and Gerry DiNardo don't you? I know I do. Never considered LSU anything more than a doormat growing up. Although new forces will step in to take their place, I'm happy to see them going back.
    I can understand your view of LSU, since you refer to the 90s, but for us who have been around a few moments longer, LSU has been a big time program for a long time. They were probably Bama's greatest aid in gaining respect for the SEC in the 60s and 70s. And who can forget listening to the night games on WWL in the 60s and 70s when very few had them, Hap Glaudi, then Buddy D, the Cajun names and special games ? They helped give Bama a NC in '65 by beating undefeated, number 2 Ark in the Cotton, paving the way, along with UCLA's 14-12 win over num 1 Mich State in the Rose, for number 4 Bama to beat num 3 Neb the night in a glorious Orange Bowl. I consider them the number 2 program in SEC history, having passed UT in the 2000s.

According to College Football Data Warehouse's rankings, here is their (and my) all time number 9 LSU's rankings through the decades.

30s: 16
    40s: 8
    50s: 9
    60s: 6
    70s: 14
    80s: 24
    90s: 42
    00s: 3

In 8 decades they had 7 top 25 finishes, 6 top 16, 4 top 10 - that's great consistency. They are second in the SEC to Bama in NCs with 3, 2nd in decades with an SEC title with 7, 2nd in major bowl victories, 2nd in major bowl appearances. Most of all, with all of their success, they have usually been a sweet big time win for Bama. It's hard to consider LSU a true blue blood, IMO there are only 7, maybe 8, but they are next in line. They are probably the most charismatic in a quirky, yet endearing way. Les Miles was the perfect fit.

The lesson learned from LSU is that you don't get rid of your successful coach until you have a quality replacement ready. Ask Texas, ask Tennessee. You run off a coach that has had success, you need to have the right guy lined up. Georgia had the right guy lined up, but even they took a risk. You run off a guy who sustained success and won a championship though, you are asking for trouble.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

Taking those figures and doing an overall average (total sum of ranked position divided by 8 decades) they rank 15th all time. They're historically a top 15 program. I'll agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    I can understand your view of LSU, since you refer to the 90s, but for us who have been around a few moments longer, LSU has been a big time program for a long time. They were probably Bama's greatest aid in gaining respect for the SEC in the 60s and 70s. And who can forget listening to the night games on WWL in the 60s and 70s when very few had them, Hap Glaudi, then Buddy D, the Cajun names and special games ? They helped give Bama a NC in '65 by beating undefeated, number 2 Ark in the Cotton, paving the way, along with UCLA's 14-12 win over num 1 Mich State in the Rose, for number 4 Bama to beat num 3 Neb the night in a glorious Orange Bowl. I consider them the number 2 program in SEC history, having passed UT in the 2000s.

According to College Football Data Warehouse's rankings, here is their (and my) all time number 9 LSU's rankings through the decades.

30s: 16
    40s: 8
    50s: 9
    60s: 6
    70s: 14
    80s: 24
    90s: 42
    00s: 3

In 8 decades they had 7 top 25 finishes, 6 top 16, 4 top 10 - that's great consistency. They are second in the SEC to Bama in NCs with 3, 2nd in decades with an SEC title with 7, 2nd in major bowl victories, 2nd in major bowl appearances. Most of all, with all of their success, they have usually been a sweet big time win for Bama. It's hard to consider LSU a true blue blood, IMO there are only 7, maybe 8, but they are next in line. They are probably the most charismatic in a quirky, yet endearing way. Les Miles was the perfect fit.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Taking those figures and doing an overall average (total sum of ranked position divided by 8 decades) they rank 15th all time. They're historically a top 15 program. I'll agree with that.
    I don't disagree either. They had leadership back then with Paul Deitzel and Charlie McClendon. What they have today is more in line with Hallman and DiNardo, IMO, and that's why I expect them to look more like the 90s than the 50s and 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I don't disagree either. They had leadership back then with Paul Deitzel and Charlie McClendon. What they have today is more in line with Hallman and DiNardo, IMO, and that's why I expect them to look more like the 90s than the 50s and 70s.
    Yeah, with the moves they're making they are laying a foundation to relive the Denardo days for sure. They keep making stupid moves and they'll revisit the Hallman days.