Fake news: Who hates Jalen? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Fake news: Who hates Jalen?

IMO, this has almost nothing to do with any significant, real hatred directed toward Jalen, it is simply another way to bash the Bama fan base. Even Doug Segrest admitted during the faux uproar over the 1/2011 N.O. incident, that the Bama fan base is the most abused in sports. This helps some others digest Bama's success and deflects attention from another great accomplishment. In this case the irony is that much of the media lead the criticism of Jalen, frequently mentioning his passing shortcomings. But if the fan base agrees, they are "hating". The region and especially the state is despised and the University represents it. That contempt is greatly intensified because Bama has the audacity to be successful on a big stage. Many would shrink from such success to avoid the rotten tomatoes thrown its way. Of course many/most Bama radio callers don't help much .

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    IMO, this has almost nothing to do with any significant, real hatred directed toward Jalen, it is simply another way to bash the Bama fan base. Even Doug Segrest admitted during the faux uproar over the 1/2011 N.O. incident, that the Bama fan base is the most abused in sports. This helps some others digest Bama's success and deflects attention from another great accomplishment. In this case the irony is that much of the media lead the criticism of Jalen, frequently mentioning his passing shortcomings. But if the fan base agrees, they are "hating". The region and especially the state is despised and the University represents it. That contempt is greatly intensified because Bama has the audacity to be successful on a big stage. Many would shrink from such success to avoid the rotten tomatoes thrown its way. Of course many/most Bama radio callers don't help much .
    You bring up a great point. Prior to Monday nights game, all you heard in the media was guys talking about how the fanbase wanted to pull a 25-2 quarterback and it was unfair. At halftime the very same people were talking about whether it was time to make a qb change and some already knowing through discussions with Saban that the there was a plan in place for that . The media is a master of gazing out of the two way mirror without ever having to see themselves.
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    This is probably the most intellectually honest answer of this question that I have seen.

Very few of the fans hate Jalen. Most are critical - and the consistency of the criticism makes it feel underwhelming when it reality most people are being decent and civil in their criticisms, yet it is a persistent and nagging flow of critique and complaint and comparison that it feels hateful.
    Everything you said was true, but IMO, it has little to do with this situation. All fan bases have criticisms of players, but this has nothing to do with misperception of Bama fans' actions on the critics' part, it has everything to do with taking another opportunity to bash Bama, especially its fan base. That's all it is. I have no doubt that this fan base, as any other would be, has been imperfect in its attitude toward Jalen. Some too hard, some too soft. But that's not the point. The point is that it is Bama's fan base. Just another way to ignore the accomplishment and pour contempt on the despised. It has nothing to do with whether any Bama fans "hate" Jalen.
    Last edited by BamaInBham; January 12th, 2018 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    Everything you said was true, but IMO, it has little to do with this situation. All fan bases have criticisms of players, but this has nothing to do with misperception of Bama fans' actions on the critics' part, it has everything to do with taking another opportunity to bash Bama, especially its fan base. That's all it is. I have no doubt that this fan base, as any other would be, has been imperfect in its attitude toward Jalen. Some too hard, some too soft. But that's not the point. The point is that it is Bama's fan base. Just another way to ignore the accomplishment and pour contempt on the despised.
    Yeah, and that's what I was getting at. They essentially criticize alot of teams just in their pregame analysis or breakdowns of games ....like they were critical of Georgia against Oklahoma and and Bama vs Clemson....however they do not equate their criticism with that of the fanbase of those teams whereas with Bama ....any concern shown by a well knowledgable fanbase is labeled as hate/bashing. In other words, it's a way to address or critique the fanbase of the most dominant program in college football...one which many if them are tired of seeing. And let's not underestimate their ability or intention to prop themselves up as the defender while setting themselves up to be the attacker at the same time.
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar

If we didn’t love Jalen...it wouldn’t have tugged at our hearts to see him benched. We knew it was what was needed....but it was hard to see it happen.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoySince89 View Post
    Better in ability to pass the ball and move the offensive up and down the feild. If that is interpreted as anything else, then my apologies
    I thought you were suggested most of us thought he was better before the championship game in which he played. There was a sharp divide among posters here is what I was referring to.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

As someone who wanted to see Tua play, I also would not want to have to game plan for Jalen. He is very talented and will only get better.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by JTBama View Post
    Yeah, and that's what I was getting at. They essentially criticize alot of teams just in their pregame analysis or breakdowns of games ....like they were critical of Georgia against Oklahoma and and Bama vs Clemson....however they do not equate their criticism with that of the fanbase of those teams whereas with Bama ....any concern shown by a well knowledgable fanbase is labeled as hate/bashing. In other words, it's a way to address or critique the fanbase of the most dominant program in college football...one which many if them are tired of seeing. And let's not underestimate their ability or intention to prop themselves up as the defender while setting themselves up to be the attacker at the same time.
    All this just makes me what to see us go out and just beat the ever lovin` hell out of everybody we play.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    There might have been a couple on here that were overly critical, but the mods sent them packing. Personally I want Jalen back. We could use him in a few specialty packages. Just imagine what a nightmare for other teams it would be to have to prepare for both guys. Jalen in the wildcat and he would be a threat to throw it.
    That's what I was thinking. All but a few teams would trade their QB for Jalen. Jalen has too much athletic ability to sit on the bench and I guarantee that Coach Saban and Coach Daboll are already scheming. I would hate to lose either Jalen or Tua. Jalen is the reason we were playing for the National Championship.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    If we didn’t love Jalen...it wouldn’t have tugged at our hearts to see him benched. We knew it was what was needed....but it was hard to see it happen.
    There was no tugging of hearts in my household. . . just folks wanting better QB play to have a chance to win.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GboyBama View Post
    The airwaves are full of people saying the fans hate Jalen. Can we address this?? I don't know know anyone who doesn't love the guy. I don't know anyone who wouldn't love for both of the QB's to be back next year. So, why is the fanbase being painted as up obsessed with sending Jalen packing? Fake news!
    How many people (not Bama fans) are going to click/listen/watch a Everyone Loves Jalen article/show? How many will do the Everyone Hates Jalen show? Yes, NEGITIVITY sells. Think of it like this and tell me which will get the most views:

"Pastor arrested for __________." or "Pastor get praise for _________. There is your answer why there is exaggerated hate for Jalen.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    How many people (not Bama fans) are going to click/listen/watch a Everyone Loves Jalen article/show? How many will do the Everyone Hates Jalen show? Yes, NEGITIVITY sells. Think of it like this and tell me which will get the most views:

"Pastor arrested for __________." or "Pastor get praise for _________. There is your answer why there is exaggerated hate for Jalen.
    Well, Don Henley did tell us that we love "Dirty Laundry". I try hard not to watch or click any of the negative stuff any more, but many people do click/watch it. It's like people love to see other people's bad behavior so they don't feel as much guilt about their own. If we all stopped clicking/watching, they would stop showing it. It's all about the ratings and the bucks.
    Last edited by teamplayer; January 13th, 2018 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    We live in a society that equates disagreeing and hate.

Example:

"I think Tua is the better quarterback and would be the best fit for the offense."

What society hears:

"You hate Jalen and hope he fails in life."

You see how that works? It is why I said in the "Thank you Jalen" thread that I hoped Tua didn't spend the entire offseason running across the entire interwebs fighting this issue that doesn't exist.
    There was a lot of that right here on this board. I'm not sure I've ever seen the kind of heated emotion involved in attempts to have an honest debate...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis