Fake news: Who hates Jalen?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Never heard anyone hating on Jalen but plenty of us, me included, wanted to see more of Tua because it was obvious Jalen had limitations with his downfield passing game. We wanted to see what Tua could do in real game situations not garbage time. So there was a lot of discussion and calls about the backup quarterback. That's not hate but Jalen's brother posted about the haters and the press ran with that. I've no idea why Jalen's brother posted that. Not very smart.
If there is something negative about Alabama, New Orleans teabagger, naked student, fans hating on players, the media will have a field day with it because UA is easy to hate. We're hated because we win too much, we're hated because Saban is hated, because the state is viewed as racist and redneck.
tua tweeted about it too. apparently they feel it on some level.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
My guess is that if any fan bases hate Jalen they might be fans of one of the many teams he beat the pants off.

If any reasonable person would think a Bama fan would hate Jalen then I'm afraid they really aren't reasonable after all. It's a ridiculous suggestion.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We live in a society that equates disagreeing and hate.

Example:

"I think Tua is the better quarterback and would be the best fit for the offense."

What society hears:

"You hate Jalen and hope he fails in life."

You see how that works? It is why I said in the "Thank you Jalen" thread that I hoped Tua didn't spend the entire offseason running across the entire interwebs fighting this issue that doesn't exist.
Great illustration and unfortunately it happen on this board a few times before Tua proved his worth.

Additionally, we live in a society where people have troubled separating "facts" from "feelings." Most of what was being said about Tua and Jalen were based upon the only thing us fans had access to and that was their performance on the field. I never understood how preferring Tua over Jalen based on their play on the field meant someone didn't like the other, but that happened too.

I'm just glad CNS's gamble to play Tua ended with victory. For the record, even if we would have come up short, it was still the right thing to do, but the reaction to a loss would have made the Tua vs. Jalen debate pretty messy I'm afraid.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Hopefully nobody honestly hates the guy. He handles himself exactly as you want a representative of the University. As a QB? I may prefer someone else. As a person and contributor to the team? I'll take him any day.
I agree. The offensive system that we run seems more suited for a guy with Tua's skill set, but Jalen is a very talented guy. The only problem I have seen with Jalen is that we are trying to turn him into a pocket passer, and I just don't think he will be one. I think we should adjust our offense to fit him when he is playing. Tua can take BD's offense to a different level, but there are several offenses around in which Jalen would thrive. Anyone who hates any of these guys probably has some major issues.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
Jalen’s response to being benched on Monday night was one of the most impressive things I’ve witnessed in sports. His character was tested in a way no one could have really predicted, and yet he handled the situation beautifully. I don’t know of many people (much less many kids his age) who would have been so graceful.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree. The offensive system that we run seems more suited for a guy with Tua's skill set, but Jalen is a very talented guy. The only problem I have seen with Jalen is that we are trying to turn him into a pocket passer, and I just don't think he will be one. I think we should adjust our offense to fit him when he is playing. Tua can take BD's offense to a different level, but there are several offenses around in which Jalen would thrive. Anyone who hates any of these guys probably has some major issues.
But he came to Bama to learn how to be a drop back passer. May not have been his exact words, but that was why he said he came here.

It would be unfair to every other player we recruited to change the offense for one player especially when there is another player who fits the system much, much better.

I do agree we were trying to force Jalen to do what he was very uncomfortable doing but it's CNS offense and again, it's what Jalen said he came to learn to do.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
This. 1000 times this. I've been open about what I thought were flaws in Jalen's game, but also very open about how, by all accounts, he has shown himself to be an excellent competitor, hard worker, great student, leader and super representative of the University and football program. Seems like the type of high character young man you'd want your kids to be around. Just because i don't think he sees the open seam routes or pulls the trigger fast enough in no way would mean I dislike the kid...

It's gotten worse than just equating disagreeing with hate, it's that if you in any way suggest someone could improve or don't praise every single thing that you must hate them. It's nuts.
You should try teaching in this world of today. There are so many things that are just absolutely laughable, except they are also just sad that we have fallen this far. There are some who even suggest that we not use red pens to make corrections because it is too aggressive and may hurt a kid's feelings. Seriously!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Jalen’s response to being benched on Monday night was one of the most impressive things I’ve witnessed in sports. His character was tested in a way no one could have really predicted, and yet he handled the situation beautifully. I don’t know of many people (much less many kids his age) who would have been so graceful.
Genuinely and extraordinarily so! In a manner that many of us could never do in much more ordinary circumstances!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
But he came to Bama to learn how to be a drop back passer. May not have been his exact words, but that was why he said he came here.

It would be unfair to every other player we recruited to change the offense for one player especially when there is another player who fits the system much, much better.

I do agree we were trying to force Jalen to do what he was very uncomfortable doing but it's CNS offense and again, it's what Jalen said he came to learn to do.
Yes, I have heard the same thing, and they really seemed to try to make him one this year. I am just not convinced he will ever be more than a one read QB who has great running ability. Still, there are many offenses that he could lead and be great. At some point, he will have to take that next step, or the coaches will have to be honest and say he doesn't possess the skill set necessary to be a great passer. At least, that is how I see it, which is just one man's opinion.
As far as changing the offense, Jalen was here before Dabol, and I'm sure we could have added some elements that would have demonstrated Jalen's skills. We just seemed to get in a rut when we tried to make him something that he isn't.
Edit- I'll add again that he definitely seems to be the type of person that I like to see representing my university.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Kids like that are winners. He will do something before he leaves the University to display that. I think packages next year with both him and Tua in the game would blow people's minds.

Can you imagine Tua at QB, Jalen as HB, Harris at RB with those 3 WRs.....how do you stop that?

RTR. Glad Jalen came to TTown -- he's the first SEC POY since Herschel Walker to win it as a Freshman. The man's not a chump.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I don’t think anyone on here hates Jalen, but we all knew the obvious and that was Tua is better. You have some idiots making comments that couldn’t play a lick of QB and for some reason the media will feed off them and equate that to the entire fanbase, which is stupid and irresponsible of anyone to say, including media.

With that being said, Jalen is someone you would love to have in the locker room, I think he would have a positive impact on other players. I really believe he is a leader and we would lose a rare talent if he were to leave

“17 is here...get ready for 18”

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Agree. Definitely Fake News. I know of no one that hates Jalen. Are we happy about Tua? Absolutely! But Jalen sure made us proud with the way he handled being benched Monday night. That guy is a leader.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I want nothing for Jalen other than I want for every kid who comes to Alabama (and actually, for all kids period). I want them to make the most out of what life has to offer and to be as happy and successful as their hearts desire in life. If Jalen wants to play as a starting QB, I sincerely hope he finds a place to do just that, whether here or elsewhere. If he wants to be a backup, then I definitely think he has a place with Bama. If he wants to transition positions, I am sure he has the talent to do so successfully if given the right training. I have zero hate for Jalen. I love the kid. I wish he was facing different circumstances than he is. Bottom line, I truly believe being thrown into the fire so early in his career killed off any chance he could have had of developing into a better QB. He didn't have time to expand his abilities, since he had to focus on making the most and perfecting the skills he already had in order to play the next game. Looking at 2017, and how badly many of us wanted Tua earlier, I am glad we didn't do that. Tua might have gotten stuck himself the same way, though that would have still been further along than Jalen got.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
We live in a society that equates disagreeing and hate.

Example:

"I think Tua is the better quarterback and would be the best fit for the offense."

What society hears:

"You hate Jalen and hope he fails in life."

You see how that works? It is why I said in the "Thank you Jalen" thread that I hoped Tua didn't spend the entire offseason running across the entire interwebs fighting this issue that doesn't exist.
Agree with this and look forward to a day when those emotional reactions get dialed down...I like and appreciate what Jalen has done for our team the last two years...last year he stepped up to take the job, and I don’t think we were expecting a championship run - but he helped lead team down that path until the last second as a true freshman - this year it was easy to have higher expectations again and see improvements with Jalen.

Should be nothing wrong with discussing where he needs to improve and to discuss Tua having those strengths - doesn’t mean we don’t still like and appreciate Jalen. If Tua wins the starting job, would love to see Jalen hang in there and work to improve his passing game and keep pushing/competing with Tua.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
This. 1000 times this. I've been open about what I thought were flaws in Jalen's game, but also very open about how, by all accounts, he has shown himself to be an excellent competitor, hard worker, great student, leader and super representative of the University and football program. Seems like the type of high character young man you'd want your kids to be around. Just because i don't think he sees the open seam routes or pulls the trigger fast enough in no way would mean I dislike the kid...

It's gotten worse than just equating disagreeing with hate, it's that if you in any way suggest someone could improve or don't praise every single thing that you must hate them. It's nuts.
Well said...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.