Tua - the end of the read option lovefest? (article) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC RammerJammer15's Avatar

Re: Tua - the end of the read option lovefest? (article)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    The NFL is in great Demand of Great Quarterbacks......the few that are left are at the end of their careers....

Like any cycle -- I sure hope we are at the end. I'd love it if Tua was the turning point.....
    I think Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers are best example of the present day (and future NFL QB). Both guys are athletic fast guys that can burn defenses when the play breaks down but are also pass first guys. That's what I see in Tua.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I know that you guys may not like this, but he reminds me of Mayfield, but with a faster read and release. I don't think that I have even seen a college QB read and release as fast as he did Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I know that you guys may not like this, but he reminds me of Mayfield, but with a faster read and release. I don't think that I have even seen a college QB read and release as fast as he did Monday night.
    Not sure why anyone wouldn't like this - Mayfield is an incredible QB.

No one who has seen their interviews would compare their (apparent) character, but as for on-field performance, I'd LOVE a Mayfield clone.

The reality is I think Tua is actually a more powerful / gifted runner, which makes him even more dangerous.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Suspended

As long as it's only an on-field comparison, it's OK.

So you're saying we have a guy that could win the Heisman? I'm mad....mad I tell you :-)
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

Quite a few of Tua's passes were in fact RPOs. And he had several nice read-option plays: a few times reading the DE, and once or twice reading the DT or MLB (can't recall).

These were, by and large, successful plays. Why *wouldn't* you still run plays like that?

Quote Originally Posted by DC Tide View Post
    Quite a few of Tua's passes were in fact RPOs. And he had several nice read-option plays: a few times reading the DE, and once or twice reading the DT or MLB (can't recall).

These were, by and large, successful plays. Why *wouldn't* you still run plays like that?
    I don't think you abandon them, I think with a qb with the skill set of Tua....you just don't have to rely on it as much . I do think there will still be rpo plays in the play selection.
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I of course am old school, but I am not sure what the "read option" or RPO is suppose to be. When I think of "read option" I visualize Terry Davis reading the DT, whether or not he crashes down on the FB, if he does then it is Davis making the DE commit to Davis or his pitchman #22. The QB actually reads the DL. I really have seen very few times when #2 actually read the DL, it at least appears, he faked to the RB, but he had his mind made up to run. Not intended to be a slam on Hurts, but I just rarely remember a lot of reads.

Having said that, I too favor an offense that is more "pro style"; however the new era "pro style" has to have some wheels.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

"Get off my lawn." Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino

I don't think anyone is suggesting those plays will disappear - but there re quite a few teams out there right now where RPOs make up a majority of the playbook, simply because the QB cannot throw the ball well enough to make any other passing game work well.

The point of the article is that hopefully Tua can be one of the players that makes people start paying attention to guys who are more than one trick ponies, which most QBs coming out of HS today seem to be.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I'm a little old fashion and I'd personally love to see us bring back a full back into the offense.

Nothing prettier than a QB under center and and full back and tailback in the I-formation.

I doubt that'll happen because we almost always go out of the short-gun (pistol) but a guy can dream!

As for the future, I can't wait for next year! And, if Tua is a good as he showed Monday night, I think he's already showing he's 1st round material!!!

A long as it's not RRRRRPO...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-SEC BradtheImpaler's Avatar

In a few years, we may very well be comparing quarterbacks to Tua. To be a true freshman, and be this good, means there is literally no ceiling for this kid. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to come to the A-Day Game and open next season.
    "In the second quarter, I saw Torretta look over at me, and he froze for a second. I saw fear."
    John Copeland

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I'll predict that Tua's scrambles and designed rushes (which I hope will be very few) will average more than Jalen's this year.

Teams will not be able to spy him. He'll basically be uncovered when he breaks from the pocket.

And imagine the delemma of a defensive back on designed roll outs. You can't leave the receiver you are covering because you know Tua will thread the needle to him, but if you don't Tua has the wheels to burn you for a big gain.

Virtually impossible to defend!