Tua - the end of the read option lovefest? (article)

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
My only question is what sort of offense does this guy think we were running up until 2013?

The answer is no and while I enjoyed the way the guy wrote he answered his own question when he pointed out how Willie Tagart had ascended to the top of CFB in just about 5 years running the read/option. As long as the method is effective against college defenses (it still very much is) then it will hang around in some iteration or another.

It doesn't follow that just because one form of offense is effective (pro-style) that the perfectly good and effective style of read/option, will die away. To be frank there aren't enough talented QB's in the nation to run a super effective Pro-style system. For most you can take a great athlete like Nick Marshall and run a very successful offense. So read/option will remain popular due to it's lower skill threshold required to run it successfully against very talented defenses.

So, no, just because 1 QB plays at a higher level than other in a pro-style system doesn't mean that other will abandon the read/option. There are reasons that people adopted read/option in the 1st place and those reasons haven't just evaporated overnight.

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
The use of the zone-read covers the fact that many teams cannot find a competent QB. Tua only changes that if everyone can find a Tua of their own. They can't.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
LOVE this article. LOVE IT.

"Is this the quarterback who changes college football?

Specifically, is Tagovailoa the one who shifts us away from a numbing succession of decade upon decade of bland handoff widgets on power-running-and-defense teams and “dual-threat” read-option keepers and returns us to the days of Brady and Manning and Brees and Marino and Young – great pro-style college quarterbacks who came to the NFL ready to run a professional offense?"

I sure hope Tua is part of a movement back to where the QB isn't just some incredible athlete, but rather a technician who also has physical skills. I miss the days of GRAT QB's that could pick a defense apart - seems like that's such a rare trait now...

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I agree with the others that the read option is not going anywhere.

However I also agree with what the article implies, and that is that a pro style offense with a great QB is the hardest offense there is to defend and the most fun to watch.

Be that as it may, RPO’s are part of the evolution of football.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I'm probably being selfish here but I've always considered the qb role to be that of a technician and artist. A qb that can read and dissect a difference can paint a defense with completions across the board....and not only that but it opens up your run game that much more and exhibits a true multi component offense. While the rpo certainly has it's roles, there's just something special about mastering the primary role of breaking down a defense without having to worry about whether the opposing defensive end is going dictate your option or read decision on offense . Again just my opinion.RTR

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
With more quarterbacks going to these passing camps and seven on seven camps. There are more QB's coming out of HS who are true passers rather than great runners with average to below average passing skills. I read an article today that the kid Clemson has (Trevor Lawrence???) will push K Bryant for the starting position. He's a "pro style" quarterback who supposedly is already a highly skilled passer. If we start seeing a larger supply of these type QB's coming out of HS who are skilled at passing. We will see less and less of these offenses where there is a run heavy "read option". I don't think the read option is going away. But the run part of the "read option" will not be as prevalent. Why should it? If I've got a kid who can throw a football like a dart, why in the world wouldn't I take advantage of it? His risk of getting injured (from running) goes way down.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
My only question is what sort of offense does this guy think we were running up until 2013?

The answer is no and while I enjoyed the way the guy wrote he answered his own question when he pointed out how Willie Tagart had ascended to the top of CFB in just about 5 years running the read/option. As long as the method is effective against college defenses (it still very much is) then it will hang around in some iteration or another.

It doesn't follow that just because one form of offense is effective (pro-style) that the perfectly good and effective style of read/option, will die away. To be frank there aren't enough talented QB's in the nation to run a super effective Pro-style system. For most you can take a great athlete like Nick Marshall and run a very successful offense. So read/option will remain popular due to it's lower skill threshold required to run it successfully against very talented defenses.

So, no, just because 1 QB plays at a higher level than other in a pro-style system doesn't mean that other will abandon the read/option. There are reasons that people adopted read/option in the 1st place and those reasons haven't just evaporated overnight.
I agree. The read-option will still be the predominant offense because it is easier to find a QB for it than it is to find one for pro-style. I think Jalen would excel if he were in a true read-option with one read passing options. I think Tua can excel in either one.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Be that as it may, RPO’s are part of the evolution of football.
Yes, they're here to stay - just as most every offense still has some option plays.

And the reality is that as long as you can dumb down the play to the QB reading literally one man, you're going to continue to see high schools and colleges running it as in most instances they want their best athlete touching the ball on every play.

That said, a resurgence of the intellectual QB would be welcomed and would make defending a model pro-set offense with RPO plays much harder to defend than anything we've seen to date.

So here's hoping... because I'd much rather see more Steve Young's developing than more Lamar Jackson's. Gimme the QB that can do it all!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Yes, they're here to stay - just as most every offense still has some option plays.

And the reality is that as long as you can dumb down the play to the QB reading literally one man, you're going to continue to see high schools and colleges running it as in most instances they want their best athlete touching the ball on every play.

That said, a resurgence of the intellectual QB would be welcomed and would make defending a model pro-set offense with RPO plays much harder to defend than anything we've seen to date.

So here's hoping... because I'd much rather see more Steve Young's developing than more Lamar Jackson's. Gimme the QB that can do it all!
The NFL is in great Demand of Great Quarterbacks......the few that are left are at the end of their careers....

Like any cycle -- I sure hope we are at the end. I'd love it if Tua was the turning point.....

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Just as an example, look at Willie Taggart and how he’s job-hopped into the elite pay scale in just five years running the simplest form of read-option – from Western Kentucky to South Florida to Oregon to Florida State. If you can progress from $500K to $5M a year that quickly, why bother?

That’s where Nick Saban comes in. He is the new Bear Bryant, the one every aspiring coach wants to emulate. If he ditches pocket-challenged dual-threat Jalen Hurts for Tua Tagovailoa in 2018 and runs a more pro-style offense – and if it works – could we not see more colleges abandoning the Urban Meyer/Rich Rodriguez template and attempting to do the same?
Not sure if I've enjoyed two paragraphs more than these in a long time.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I also prefer the pro-style O - much prefer it. But there is one other component beside QB that forces programs to the RPO style O - the need for a very good OL. This is as difficult to find and build as a suitable QB. Great recruiting and coaching usually required. Most programs are not able. The RPO style was developed as one of the few options that gave the little guy or even the "good" a chance to compete with the best.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not sure if I've enjoyed two paragraphs more than these in a long time.
The problem is going to be are there enough talented quarterback who have the ability to run it? If there is, then yes, I could see this shift taking place. The read option allowed lesser talented teams to compete and use the "athletic" part a quarterback to beat you rather than having to do it strictly with his arm. But like I said above, with more and more kids attending these passing camps and getting a higher quality of coaching. There are more and more quarterbacks coming into college who can legitimately spin the ball at a high level.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
The NFL is in great Demand of Great Quarterbacks......the few that are left are at the end of their careers....

Like any cycle -- I sure hope we are at the end. I'd love it if Tua was the turning point.....
I think Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers are best example of the present day (and future NFL QB). Both guys are athletic fast guys that can burn defenses when the play breaks down but are also pass first guys. That's what I see in Tua.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know that you guys may not like this, but he reminds me of Mayfield, but with a faster read and release. I don't think that I have even seen a college QB read and release as fast as he did Monday night.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I know that you guys may not like this, but he reminds me of Mayfield, but with a faster read and release. I don't think that I have even seen a college QB read and release as fast as he did Monday night.
Not sure why anyone wouldn't like this - Mayfield is an incredible QB.

No one who has seen their interviews would compare their (apparent) character, but as for on-field performance, I'd LOVE a Mayfield clone.

The reality is I think Tua is actually a more powerful / gifted runner, which makes him even more dangerous.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
As long as it's only an on-field comparison, it's OK. ;)

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
So you're saying we have a guy that could win the Heisman? I'm mad....mad I tell you :)

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Quite a few of Tua's passes were in fact RPOs. And he had several nice read-option plays: a few times reading the DE, and once or twice reading the DT or MLB (can't recall).

These were, by and large, successful plays. Why *wouldn't* you still run plays like that?

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Quite a few of Tua's passes were in fact RPOs. And he had several nice read-option plays: a few times reading the DE, and once or twice reading the DT or MLB (can't recall).

These were, by and large, successful plays. Why *wouldn't* you still run plays like that?
I don't think you abandon them, I think with a qb with the skill set of Tua....you just don't have to rely on it as much . I do think there will still be rpo plays in the play selection.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.