Tua - the end of the read option lovefest? (article)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I of course am old school, but I am not sure what the "read option" or RPO is suppose to be. When I think of "read option" I visualize Terry Davis reading the DT, whether or not he crashes down on the FB, if he does then it is Davis making the DE commit to Davis or his pitchman #22. The QB actually reads the DL. I really have seen very few times when #2 actually read the DL, it at least appears, he faked to the RB, but he had his mind made up to run. Not intended to be a slam on Hurts, but I just rarely remember a lot of reads.

Having said that, I too favor an offense that is more "pro style"; however the new era "pro style" has to have some wheels.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Quite a few of Tua's passes were in fact RPOs. And he had several nice read-option plays: a few times reading the DE, and once or twice reading the DT or MLB (can't recall).

These were, by and large, successful plays. Why *wouldn't* you still run plays like that?
I don't think anyone is suggesting those plays will disappear - but there re quite a few teams out there right now where RPOs make up a majority of the playbook, simply because the QB cannot throw the ball well enough to make any other passing game work well.

The point of the article is that hopefully Tua can be one of the players that makes people start paying attention to guys who are more than one trick ponies, which most QBs coming out of HS today seem to be.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm a little old fashion and I'd personally love to see us bring back a full back into the offense.

Nothing prettier than a QB under center and and full back and tailback in the I-formation.

I doubt that'll happen because we almost always go out of the short-gun (pistol) but a guy can dream!

As for the future, I can't wait for next year! And, if Tua is a good as he showed Monday night, I think he's already showing he's 1st round material!!!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Quite a few of Tua's passes were in fact RPOs. And he had several nice read-option plays: a few times reading the DE, and once or twice reading the DT or MLB (can't recall).

These were, by and large, successful plays. Why *wouldn't* you still run plays like that?
A long as it's not RRRRRPO...

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
In a few years, we may very well be comparing quarterbacks to Tua. To be a true freshman, and be this good, means there is literally no ceiling for this kid. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to come to the A-Day Game and open next season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll predict that Tua's scrambles and designed rushes (which I hope will be very few) will average more than Jalen's this year.

Teams will not be able to spy him. He'll basically be uncovered when he breaks from the pocket.

And imagine the delemma of a defensive back on designed roll outs. You can't leave the receiver you are covering because you know Tua will thread the needle to him, but if you don't Tua has the wheels to burn you for a big gain.

Virtually impossible to defend!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
To answer the OP and the article, Tua is not the end of the RPO lovefest. There are just too many programs that benefit from the status quo.

QBs that can run the RPO are far more common than mobile guys who also have no-foolin' passing ability. And the RPO is the underdog's best friend in that it's a great way for an outmanned team to hang in there against a team possessed of superior talent.

The only thing that'll change that is a change in rules.

They'd have to return to the NFL's rule on ineligible receiver downfield...1 yard. Right now, in college, it's 3 yards, which is the sole reason that the RPO / Malzahn / Chip Kelly offense even remotely viable.

Tua proves that the pro offense, run by a quality passer, who has some mobility, is the most difficult to stop. Think John Elway.

Trouble is, those guys aren't common. At all. Which means that the RPO will be with us until the rules change, i.e., never.

I just don't see that genie being stuffed back into the bottle.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

This is exactly correct. We still ran quite a bit in the 2nd half, and Tua had several nice runs himself. The RPOs put pressure on a defense, and they work well even when your QB isn't a great passer. That offense will still be at a premium. If you have a guy who can read quickly and also make every throw, it should make the offense almost impossible to stop.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The problem is going to be are there enough talented quarterback who have the ability to run it? If there is, then yes, I could see this shift taking place. The read option allowed lesser talented teams to compete and use the "athletic" part a quarterback to beat you rather than having to do it strictly with his arm. But like I said above, with more and more kids attending these passing camps and getting a higher quality of coaching. There are more and more quarterbacks coming into college who can legitimately spin the ball at a high level.
I agree. But lets not forget the reason for the spread and RPO: it was because the big Power Five teams were getting all the GREAT players. How many times is Vandy and Wake Forest going to get a GREAT Pro Style passer? The RPO will thrive on the G5 side and Memphis and UCF will still garner headlines. Are there 66 GREAT pro style QBs? Will there ever be 129? So while everyone wants to copy Coach Saban and there will be a shift it will not put the RPO out of business. You know the wishbone is still alive and well at GT, Army, Navy and a few more.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I agree. But lets not forget the reason for the spread and RPO: it was because the big Power Five teams were getting all the GREAT players. How many times is Vandy and Wake Forest going to get a GREAT Pro Style passer? The RPO will thrive on the G5 side and Memphis and UCF will still garner headlines. Are there 66 GREAT pro style QBs? Will there ever be 129? So while everyone wants to copy Coach Saban and there will be a shift it will not put the RPO out of business. You know the wishbone is still alive and well at GT, Army, Navy and a few more.
Also, are there 330 competent OL, especially at pass-pro? That is as big of an issue as the QB.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
Great article. I have always thought the RPO was just a gimmick offense for teams whose QB was weak at reading coverages. It works, but it's just a band aid covering a sore spot. Unfortunately the RPO is here to stay because everything is being "dumbed" down.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I agree with y'all that we have a QB who is capable of running more than a single-read RPO, and that Alabama's offense will be more than a one-trick pony.

However, I don't think there's anything inherently "dumb" about RPOs ... they're a smart way of getting a numerical advantage on the defense, just like the zone-read or even old-school power blocking. For the longest time I associated RPOs with long-developing plays like Nick Marshall's infamous TD pass in the Kick 6 Iron Bowl. Most RPOs, though, are quick reads and, for that reason, *can* be run in the NFL even with its 1-yard beyond the line of scrimmage blocking rule.

Here's a good example of an RPO in the NFL:

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/914767455314235392

Look familiar? I'm pretty sure this slant to Foster on Bama's first TD drive was a similar play (skip to 4 minutes 44 seconds in the video):

In fact, most of Tua's plays on that drive were one successful RPO after another. As Crimsonaudio says after posting a CFN preview, "I'll take it!"

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

To avoid injury to your star player. We have possibly the best running backs in the country and need to use them better. We had very good but very frustrated receivers this year. Going to a more pro-style offense would make better use of all that talent while putting less stress on the QB.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree with y'all that we have a QB who is capable of running more than a single-read RPO, and that Alabama's offense will be more than a one-trick pony.

However, I don't think there's anything inherently "dumb" about RPOs ... they're a smart way of getting a numerical advantage on the defense, just like the zone-read or even old-school power blocking. For the longest time I associated RPOs with long-developing plays like Nick Marshall's infamous TD pass in the Kick 6 Iron Bowl. Most RPOs, though, are quick reads and, for that reason, *can* be run in the NFL even with its 1-yard beyond the line of scrimmage blocking rule.

Here's a good example of an RPO in the NFL:

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/914767455314235392

Look familiar? I'm pretty sure this slant to Foster on Bama's first TD drive was a similar play (skip to 4 minutes 44 seconds in the video):

In fact, most of Tua's plays on that drive were one successful RPO after another. As Crimsonaudio says after posting a CFN preview, "I'll take it!"
I wouldn't consider either of those plays "RPO," in that, in the first, the QB was never a threat to run the ball himself. It was just a play action pass (PA). In the second, I don't think the scramble was ever planned. The pass play just broke down...

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
In most RPOs, the "R" part is a hand-off to the RB, not a QB run. That was the case in the Wentz pass and in the Tua slant to Foster.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I sure hope Tua is part of a movement back to where the QB isn't just some incredible athlete, but rather a technician who also has physical skills. I miss the days of GRAT QB's that could pick a defense apart - seems like that's such a rare trait now...
I feel like Baker Mayfield was like this in a way except with the attitude (him against the world when it isn't). Tua has a lot MORE upside too than Baker. Who knows what would have happened had Tua played the entire game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In most RPOs, the "R" part is a hand-off to the RB, not a QB run. That was the case in the Wentz pass and in the Tua slant to Foster.
Well, I guess I need to go back to school. I thought the distinguishing feature was that the OL run-blocked while the QB isolated on a DB, usually a safety or a LB, trying to clear an area for a pass, or, if the defender stayed back, either the QB ran or handed off to a RB. RPO doesn't strictly require a mobile QB, but it certainly helps. I'll look at the Wentz pass again, but it looked to me as if the OL pulled up and pass-blocked...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Isn't what we now call a RPO very, very similar to what a traditional offense would call a play action pass?

I know in that setup the qb typically isn't a run threat, but the fake to the running back accomplishes the same thing when it comes to freezing the linebackers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.