2018 Schedule-related Thoughts

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
You are correct even if Louisville did buy out.It is way to late to replace that game with UCF we woukd likely be scrambling to find someone to play and chances are high it would be another Arkansas State/ Louisiana Tech type opponent.
"We" don't have anything to do with who the Camping World Kickoff people would have to find to replace Louisville. As said previously, the date is currently open on the UCF schedule.

And it is not anywhere near too late to make a schedule change for 2018. July would be too late. Which is exactly when Bama had to reschedule their opener in 1966. Tulane left the SEC on July 1 and asked to be removed from Bama's 1966 schedule. Bama was left scrambling and wound up scheduling non-1A La Tech. Gave the poll voters the excuse they were looking for to move Bama down in the polls. Moved Preseason #1 Bama down to #3 before they ever opened with La Tech.

Last edited:

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
As long as Petrino is the coach, I'm sure Louisville will have a guy who slings it around pretty well. As far as us having to go undefeated, I don't believe that. If we were to be 12-1 SEC champions, I would nearly bet the farm that we would get in. Unfortunately, I don't own a farm, though.
I would agree that Alabama could, theoretically, go to the playoffs as a 12-1 SEC champion, but, in 2018, there will be no game that represents a safe, affordable loss. If we lose to one of our feeble out-of-conference opponents, then we will have on our record a very "bad" loss, inviting the same playoff committee fate as Ohio State met in 2017 following their loss to Iowa. If we lose to an SEC West team, then we will be dependent on that opponent ending the regular season with two division losses to our one (with us winning out within the division). Since our toughest league games (LSU and Auburn) happen in November, I think that our only path to the playoffs for the 2018 season is to win-out all the way, 9/1 through Atalanta.

pjhBama

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 3, 2017
We can afford 1 loss but we must win the SEC. If we are once again a 1 loss non-champ with that schedule we will more than likely be left out.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Could be wrong about this but I don’t remember hearing about a game being bought out this close to the game. Im pretty sure it’s set in stone at this point but if it’s not that would certainly be an interesting situation..
In February of 1999, the barn bought out a home and home series with FSU. They were scheduled to play in Tallahassee the first game of the 1999 season (6-7 months later), and a return game in Auburn the next year.

The Terry Bowden / Bobby Bowden link had been severed when they fired Terry in the middle of the 1998 season. Plus, well, they were expected to be really bad in 2000. FSU was expected to be really good, and the barn clearly ducked the game.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I would agree that Alabama could, theoretically, go to the playoffs as a 12-1 SEC champion, but, in 2018, there will be no game that represents a safe, affordable loss. If we lose to one of our feeble out-of-conference opponents, then we will have on our record a very "bad" loss, inviting the same playoff committee fate as Ohio State met in 2017 following their loss to Iowa. If we lose to an SEC West team, then we will be dependent on that opponent ending the regular season with two division losses to our one (with us winning out within the division). Since our toughest league games (LSU and Auburn) happen in November, I think that our only path to the playoffs for the 2018 season is to win-out all the way, 9/1 through Atalanta.
Losing to a bad out-of-conference opponent would be a bad loss, but it would only be 1. Ohio State had 2 losses. And if we only have 1 loss to an out-of-conference opponent that would mean we would be undefeated in the conference. Losing to a Division foe would require them to lose 2 SEC opponents but they wouldn't both have to be in the Western Division. If we have 1 loss but win the SEC we will get in. They wouldn't dare keep us out. If Ohio State had only 1 loss they would have gotten in over us this year. OF course, I will take an undefeated season. In any case, I sure don't want to lose to the Barn again...

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
You are correct even if Louisville did buy out.It is way to late to replace that game with UCF we woukd likely be scrambling to find someone to play and chances are high it would be another Arkansas State/ Louisiana Tech type opponent.
Well I can tell you just by visiting the Louisville boards, they are not happy either. Most of them are expressing their desire to avoid being massacred on opening day. They have to play us, FSU and Clemson in one season. They must have ticked off the football God's.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Yeah opening with Duke, ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New Mexico St and Georgia St too. Not much there to get excited about. If I’m remembering the SEC rotation correctly though, we should get South Carolina in the cross divisional game. Muschamp seems to be moving them in the right direction, so that could be a big game.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Well I can tell you just by visiting the Louisville boards, they are not happy either. Most of them are expressing their desire to avoid being massacred on opening day. They have to play us, FSU and Clemson in one season. They must have ticked off the football God's.
Well, it could be worse. They could be like AU this year and have to play one of them twice. Playing Clemson, Bama, and UGA twice was pretty challenging for the tiggers.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Well, it could be worse. They could be like AU this year and have to play one of them twice. Playing Clemson, Bama, and UGA twice was pretty challenging for the tiggers.
I don't think Louisville has the horses though to handle any of those situations and I'm sure they go 0-3 in these matchups

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Are Bama fans really complaining about an easy schedule???
I won't attempt to speak for others, but, in my case, yes. "Manageable" is one thing; "easy" another. I think that Alabama is better off playing at least one marque name (e.g., USC, Michigan, Notre Dame), then following with an SEC slate that includes mostly top 25 teams. When you play a soft schedule, the best that can happen is that you blow everybody out and don't sustain too many injuries along the way. That's a prescription for boring games and media yapping.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I won't attempt to speak for others, but, in my case, yes. "Manageable" is one thing; "easy" another. I think that Alabama is better off playing at least one marque name (e.g., USC, Michigan, Notre Dame), then following with an SEC slate that includes mostly top 25 teams. When you play a soft schedule, the best that can happen is that you blow everybody out and don't sustain too many injuries along the way. That's a prescription for boring games and media yapping.
Why any Bama fan cares about the media yapping is beyond me. They’ve been doing it for 10+ Years. As for boring games... an exciting game for me is us up by 30. I’ve had my fill of close competitive games, and they are fun when we win but agonizing when we lose. So I prefer games that aren’t in doubt.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Why the heck are we playing Duke in the neutral site game?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Why any Bama fan cares about the media yapping is beyond me. They’ve been doing it for 10+ Years. As for boring games... an exciting game for me is us up by 30. I’ve had my fill of close competitive games, and they are fun when we win but agonizing when we lose. So I prefer games that aren’t in doubt.
I agree - an undefeated Alabama is in the playoffs 100% of the time, then you take it from there. The easier the road to the CFP, the easier the road to #18.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Why the heck are we playing Duke in the neutral site game?

If you were an AD at a major school, would you play Alabama in a neutral site game? I wouldn't. The people who put these things together are scraping the bottom of the barrell to find someone who will play them.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
IMO: We have a favorable schedule...
BUT...
Our Opponents look weak.
Strength of Schedule will not favor us.
We need to win em all, going away.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.