News Article: ACC proposes change to Redshirt Rule

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...proposes-adjustment-to-archaic-redshirt-rule/

I know this has been discussed over the last year. I can't seem to find the appropriate thread for it.
As far as I remember it was just previously the AFCA advocating for the change. Now the ACC has proposed that starting in 2018, any player who plays in 4 or less games be able to keep the redshirt. Now that a major conference has weighed in, I imagine it starts to get more traction.

The obvious benefit is for an injured player early in the season. Also, for the guys who need some extra time and are able to contribute at the end of the season.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...proposes-adjustment-to-archaic-redshirt-rule/

I know this has been discussed over the last year. I can't seem to find the appropriate thread for it.
As far as I remember it was just previously the AFCA advocating for the change. Now the ACC has proposed that starting in 2018, any player who plays in 4 or less games be able to keep the redshirt. Now that a major conference has weighed in, I imagine it starts to get more traction.

The obvious benefit is for an injured player early in the season. Also, for the guys who need some extra time and are able to contribute at the end of the season.
After a year of tough injuries...
I'm more inclined to be a little more lenient on the RED SHIRT rules.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
One thing to keep in mind: when a particular coach, school, or conference push for a rule change, it is usually because they think that rule change will benefit more than it will others, and give them an advantage (or diminish someone else's advantage). That said, I am also in favor of this rule. It would allow a coach like Saban, loaded with talent on his team every year, to test the freshmen early to see if burning their redshirt is really something he wants to do. It would also allow a player to step in and play short term to cover for injuries, or in the best case, get some playing time during the post-season.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
So essentially if Tua hadn't played mop up ability, in most of the games this year.. after 2nd and 26 he'd still have 4 years of eligibility left.... I like it!

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Ya'll don't want Bama's players to have an extra year of eligibility.

It benefits college athletes as a whole, and likely all the teams, but that includes Alabama. And a 10% bump for everybody else is a 15% bump for us.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
For some players, this would be a benefit to them. Allow younger players to develop with game action but not cost them a year of eligibility (if managed correctly). We would have a few players this might help assuming they're under the limit and I didnt miss them on special teams (i.e., Josh McMillon, Chris Allen). They wouldn't be under the new rule, of course. Just giving possible examples where players might benefit from this rule change if it were in place. Easier to keep up with this as opposed to a percentage of plays participated as the rule stands now.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I do like this idea. It seems it could help situations where you have an injured starter and have to choose between playing him or taking the redshirt off someone else.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The thing I really like is maybe, just maybe, we can see our freshmen play a lot in cup cake games. in 2017 we could have had a lot of freshmen playing three of our cupcakes. This would put some excitement in the 48-0 scores, you know go to see the new players playing.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I do like this idea. It seems it could help situations where you have an injured starter and have to choose between playing him or taking the redshirt off someone else.
I agree. You'd also be able to rest your starters more if you could use the guys being redshirted for mop-up duty. A coach would also be able to better evaluate their progress by seeing them in real action instead of just practice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.