News Article: ACC proposes change to Redshirt Rule
Thanks Thanks:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ACC proposes change to Redshirt Rule

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...redshirt-rule/

I know this has been discussed over the last year. I can't seem to find the appropriate thread for it.
    As far as I remember it was just previously the AFCA advocating for the change. Now the ACC has proposed that starting in 2018, any player who plays in 4 or less games be able to keep the redshirt. Now that a major conference has weighed in, I imagine it starts to get more traction.

The obvious benefit is for an injured player early in the season. Also, for the guys who need some extra time and are able to contribute at the end of the season.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: ACC proposes change to Redshirt Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Tide View Post
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...redshirt-rule/

I know this has been discussed over the last year. I can't seem to find the appropriate thread for it.
    As far as I remember it was just previously the AFCA advocating for the change. Now the ACC has proposed that starting in 2018, any player who plays in 4 or less games be able to keep the redshirt. Now that a major conference has weighed in, I imagine it starts to get more traction.

The obvious benefit is for an injured player early in the season. Also, for the guys who need some extra time and are able to contribute at the end of the season.
    After a year of tough injuries...
    I'm more inclined to be a little more lenient on the RED SHIRT rules.

BamaNation First Team

One thing to keep in mind: when a particular coach, school, or conference push for a rule change, it is usually because they think that rule change will benefit more than it will others, and give them an advantage (or diminish someone else's advantage). That said, I am also in favor of this rule. It would allow a coach like Saban, loaded with talent on his team every year, to test the freshmen early to see if burning their redshirt is really something he wants to do. It would also allow a player to step in and play short term to cover for injuries, or in the best case, get some playing time during the post-season.

BamaNation First Team

So essentially if Tua hadn't played mop up ability, in most of the games this year.. after 2nd and 26 he'd still have 4 years of eligibility left.... I like it!

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Ya'll don't want Bama's players to have an extra year of eligibility.

It benefits college athletes as a whole, and likely all the teams, but that includes Alabama. And a 10% bump for everybody else is a 15% bump for us.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Quote Originally Posted by irNate View Post
    So essentially if Tua hadn't played mop up ability, in most of the games this year.. after 2nd and 26 he'd still have 4 years of eligibility left.... I like it!
    I don't see his playing out his eligibility, barring injury...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

For some players, this would be a benefit to them. Allow younger players to develop with game action but not cost them a year of eligibility (if managed correctly). We would have a few players this might help assuming they're under the limit and I didnt miss them on special teams (i.e., Josh McMillon, Chris Allen). They wouldn't be under the new rule, of course. Just giving possible examples where players might benefit from this rule change if it were in place. Easier to keep up with this as opposed to a percentage of plays participated as the rule stands now.

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar

Is like for eligibility to be extended to 5 years regardless of red shirt status. More realistic with avg graduation time

I do like this idea. It seems it could help situations where you have an injured starter and have to choose between playing him or taking the redshirt off someone else.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

I'm good with it. But I could see a stipulation deducting 4 regular season games from the 2nd year. 2 years to play 12. Don't think CCG & Bowl games should be included in that 4 games though.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

The thing I really like is maybe, just maybe, we can see our freshmen play a lot in cup cake games. in 2017 we could have had a lot of freshmen playing three of our cupcakes. This would put some excitement in the 48-0 scores, you know go to see the new players playing.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I do like this idea. It seems it could help situations where you have an injured starter and have to choose between playing him or taking the redshirt off someone else.
    I agree. You'd also be able to rest your starters more if you could use the guys being redshirted for mop-up duty. A coach would also be able to better evaluate their progress by seeing them in real action instead of just practice.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Was McCarron the "backup" quarterback going into the championship game his freshman year in which he was redshirted?