Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice, letting him stay at QB? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice?

Assuming that Tua does win the competition (and I do believe there will be one), I think the best thing for Jalen to do is to stay here and redshirt either this year or next year because Tua is not long Tuscaloosa if he builds a body of work that I think he will with two years of starts. Hurts starts for his redshirt senior year and maybe has a Blake Sims-like end to his career. The best thing for a quarterback in terms of going pro is to have visibility and talent around you to execute offense. He may not get that anywhere else. And most of the places that want him will try to run a RichRod type offense.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice?

I love both Jalen and Tua. I feel they both are quality people. I donít want to lose either one of them. Both have amazing talents. If they can work in tandem I think that will bring the best results. Jalen can improve his pass progression in the off season and Tua can learn to be smart with the football. I can see both having a major role in every game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tide&True; January 13th, 2018 at 07:59 AM.
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by gtgilbert View Post
    The anticipation Tua has is amazing. Above and beyond that though watching the game again Thursday night, Jalen wasn't even pulling the trigger when guys were WIDE open, especially on seam routes and RB into the flat. Even Herbstreit pointed out that Jalen takes off way to fast with even the slightest flash of pressure, even though he's still really got plenty of time. Sometimes he turns it into a positive play to we all thinks it's great, but the WRs, TEs and RBs all start to quit on routes and plays b/c they know Jalen is just going to take off most of the time. Now, he might be able to fix this, but as others have said, he's had two years of starting experience (more than Sims and Coker ever got) to develop it and it's not there yet.

It's tough b/c I don't know what position he'd be able to play. RB maybe? Not really big enough for HB or TE. He has speed for WR, so maybe there if he can get footwork and routes down. Strong Safety might be his best bet if he's got enough fluidity in his hips.
    It looks to me that Jalen has the foot speed to play positions that require it. I don`t pretend to know the other characteristics that CNS would look for in a DB in general and a strong safety in particular. Obviously, being able to pivot and change directions (hips) would be important. Jalen`s bright and a great athlete. Does he have the temperament to play strong safety and come up and " lay the wood " ? Don`t know.
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; January 13th, 2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: formatting

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I truly believe that QB is the best position for Jalen Hurts in college especially here where he wouldn't be a top contributor at receiver or tailback. Why move a guy who is no worse your second best quarterback to be the 4th or 5th best back or receiver? The NFL can figure out what they can do with him when he gets there. My reckon is that he becomes a punt returner and depth WR in the pros.

The goal should be on selling him on a competition in 2018. If he loses out then selling him on redshirting in 2019 because Tua will likely be heading to the pros after that season.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

I don't see a situation where both Jalen and Tua will have a major role in a every game unless Jalen changes positions.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

You also have to remember that injury is a possibility every day in this sport. As long as he is no deeper than #2 on the depth chart, he is one play away from the starting job again. And Saban trusts him. That means that he will be a viable option in every game, under almost any circumstance.

BamaNation All-American

The problem for Jalen has been that itís hard to develop when youíre trying to win games because you canít take the risks that you need to take to learn and grow.

If he really wants to play QB then heís probably best served dropping to the FCS level where he could terrorize opponents...but thatís not a likely path to the NFL.

BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    I don't see a situation where both Jalen and Tua will have a major role in a every game unless Jalen changes positions.
    I know it doesnít typically happen under CNS but he has shown a willingness to try things. Look, Iím not suggesting both can have equal opportunity but perhaps share importance. I see Tua as the starter but I do feel Jalen can offer a wildcat type approach in certain situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation All-American

We are all understandably speculating about Jalen improving and competing for the starting role at QB. I think it`s important to realize that Tua will be striving to improve as well. With that in mind, unless there`s a complete shift in practice to a two QB system (don`t personally think it`ll happen ), then they won`t both contribute in every game in a meaningful way at QB. I agree. For both to contribute, Jalen would have to switch.

I agree, I don't see any situation where a tandem or combination is really beneficial. I think that often does more damage than good. Have your backup ready, but don't insert certain formations or styles just for him.Thats usually very telling for a defense.
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

BamaNation All-American Skeeterpop's Avatar

Re: Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice? (regarding JH's future)

This is pretty simple for Jalen. He got too protective and conservative with the football. This is a combination of his football IQ, Bama game plan and Saban demanding protect the ball. Think of about it. We just went through 14 games and the kid had 1 INT. On the surface that looks like an incredible number but in actuality its a very telling stat. He did not take enough chances. He did not try to make the big plays, even when tbe team needed one. This day an age, if Alabama is going to stay on top we need to be aggressive and challenge some teams. Not sell out to protect the ball at all cost.

I think Jalen has it in him to be more aggressive and take chances. He just chose to protect the ball and force nothing. Thats what coach wanted. Unfortunately, its not like a light switch. You cant just turn that skill on and off when you want. Its a complete mindset and will take some time to force himself into the mindset of attacking a play and not just waiting for it to be perfect. We have watched all year Jalen see guys virtually open but he chose not to attempt the throw or you could see he was thinking too much. It's because he is too focused on not turning the ball over. If we are honest about this, Coach has to take this blame moreso than Jalen. Jalen was only doing exactly what Saban has preached for 10 years to every QB. Sure Jalen took it to the extreme. But hard fo argue with the teams success.

I think coach sits him down and says. Here is the deal. I have pushed too far on the side of being conservative. We still want to protect the ball. But we have to have a QB that is aggressive and takes chances at the right times. He puts Jalen mentally on the same playing field as Tua who to be honest fears nothing right now. We all know that is too far to the other extreme. He has to become smarter with the ball. (i.e. Sack in OT, forced pass on run play, securing football when he runs, time management, etc.)

This could get really interesting if Jalen is able to accept this change and become an aggressive passer.

BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTBama View Post
    I agree, I don't see any situation where a tandem or combination is really beneficial. I think that often does more damage than good. Have your backup ready, but don't insert certain formations or styles just for him.Thats usually very telling for a defense.
    There may be a QB competition, but honestly, Tua is only going to get better and Jalen just doesn't have the passing talent that Tua has.
    Let's face it, Tua is going to be the starter next year unless Jalen makes a quantum leap in ability and I don't see that happening. I also don't see a scenario where you keep both at QB in any other capacity than one as a starter and one as a backup. With that said, Jalen's dad is a high school coach and he knows the game. I imagine they will evaluate the situation after the Spring game and decide if it's best for Jalen to transfer at that point to probably a school like Texas State (kinda like Cam Newton did) where he can get reps trying to find a fit back into a Div 1 starting job and ultimately a shot at the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTideFan View Post
    There may be a QB competition, but honestly, Tua is only going to get better and Jalen just doesn't have the passing talent that Tua has.
    Let's face it, Tua is going to be the starter next year unless Jalen makes a quantum leap in ability and I don't see that happening. I also don't see a scenario where you keep both at QB in any other capacity than one as a starter and one as a backup. With that said, Jalen's dad is a high school coach and he knows the game. I imagine they will evaluate the situation after the Spring game and decide if it's best for Jalen to transfer at that point to probably a school like Texas State (kinda like Cam Newton did) where he can get reps trying to find a fit back into a Div 1 starting job and ultimately a shot at the NFL.
    Often times a coach will announce a "competition " fully knowing in the back of his mind who that qb is probably going to be. I think CNS is one who just likes to make sure it isn't taken for granted and that particular person works for it. This is pretty much what my coach did to us ....and I understood. I do agree that this is more than likely Tuas job. I don't think it's any fault to Hurts but you have a guy with an amazing skill set pushing you and the pushing had been increasing all season long. I'm not sure which direction he takes but he's a bright kid and I'm sure he and his father will make the best decision possible if that time comes.
    Last edited by JTBama; January 13th, 2018 at 09:13 AM.
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams