Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice, letting him stay at QB?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice? (regarding JH's future)

Then I think this begs the question as to why would the coaches put restrictions on JH but not do the same on Tua?
Not sure it's that simple - and I'm not sure we won't see Tua become more conservative if he becomes the starter.

Again, look at JH's numbers last year - he was a FR and they tried not to put him in situations where his mistake would lose the game for us, but he was more aggressive last year than this year. As Earle relayed, his one interception "is a bug, not a feature."

Tua is likely naturally more aggressive - he trusts his arm more and appears to be less risk-averse as he believes he can make all the throws. I just hope he keeps that attitude and Saban's generally conservative nature don't reign that in too much.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Re: Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice?

A few thoughts:

I think that Saban will be honest with Jalen.
I think that Saban believes that Jalen will continue to improve.
I think that Saban will tell Jalen that improvement will be necessary to win the starting QB job next year.
I think that Jalen will embrace the challenge.

Is it a disservice to give Jalen that opportunity and to continue to believe in him? Not in my opinion.

As for other positions - he really isn't a RB since he lacks quickness. He can outrun players, but he really doesn't make them miss. I have no idea if he can catch well enough to try HB or TE. With his size, speed (4.5 40) and athleticism he could probably play many defensive positions but I have no idea if he has any interest there.

I have no idea what is going to happen with Jalen, but I believe that Saban will try to help him achieve his goals, whatever they may be.
^^^this

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Not sure it's that simple - and I'm not sure we won't see Tua become more conservative if he becomes the starter.

Again, look at JH's numbers last year - he was a FR and they tried not to put him in situations where his mistake would lose the game for us, but he was more aggressive last year than this year. As Earle relayed, his one interception "is a bug, not a feature."

Tua is likely naturally more aggressive - he trusts his arm more and appears to be less risk-averse as he believes he can make all the throws. I just hope he keeps that attitude and Saban's generally conservative nature don't reign that in too much.

My dad said this last night. Saban's risk adverse mentality is something that drives my dad nuts on offense. He said last night "Just wait, give Saban a full offseason with Tua and the offense we saw in the second half will be gone." I hope he's not right.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008

I've been saying this for some time now, but I think we have to balance that with what a coach is telling him to do - if you read that someone is open, but then you have to calculate whether or not he's open 'enough' or you have to think about whether or not you should throw it, it will make you more sluggish wrt making decisions than you really are.

I mean, he looks more inhibited this season than last year, and I doubt it's due to the complexity of the offense.

I think it's obvious that Tua has 'quicker eyes' (reads through his progressions more rapidly) and I'm not sure that JH can do it quickly as TT does no matter what - few can, imo - but if JH is feeling pressure to not make mistakes to the point it's affecting his play, one area we'll see that manifest itself is in his decision-making. He needs to stop thinking and react to what he sees, and that only happens if CNS and CO unleash him.

Only then will we truly know what he's capable of. Last year he was a FR and was kept under tight-ish reigns, this year he seems even more risk-averse - I don't think that's all on JH...
I agree 100%. I also agree with BamaBuzzard. I dont think JH ceiling as a passer is in the same zip code as Tua. However, he has perfected some skills that Tua will have to learn. As Dilfer said. You push a guy harder than he can take to see what he is made of and what his ceiling is. Time to push JH and say if you ever have aspirations of becoming an NFL QB you have to become a better passer, more aggressive, faster through progressions and not afraid to pull the trigger.

All I am asking is to put them on the same mental track and let them push one another and see what happens. As a coach, Tua just put himself as our Co-starting QB. And I don't believe in having 2 QBs. So they are on an even playing field now. No more loyalty or obligation to one over the other. They compete and the best guy wins the job.

I still think Coach has to grow, change and adapt at the QB position as he has with his philosophy on Defense and Offense the last 5 years. He has to let a QB be a playmaker and accept with that comes some mistakes. I think the pros will outweigh the cons. At least in games where we know you cant play it close to the vest.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

Then I think this begs the question as to why would the coaches put restrictions on JH but not do the same on Tua? It seems the staff doesn't trust or have confidence that Jalen can make the same "right decisions" within this offense as Tua. So they severely restrict what he's allowed to do. It's tough to tell from our viewpoint (in the comfort of our recliners. LOL!) whether the issues are due to confidence or ability issues. But one thing I think is certain. CNS isn't going back to the offense we ran when Hurts was in there. The requirement is going to be the full playbook that we saw in the second half. Which ever QB can best run that will be the one we see behind center.

But I love both of these QB's as people. The class they both (especially Jalen) showed to each other is something many adults can learn from. I made my boys watch it and I took that opportunity to have a "parenting moment" to teach them that's what sportsmanship looks like.
Jalen's a sharp kid and I think his and the coaches "decisions" on the field are based on his ability alone. He just doesn't have the ability to see the field and spin it with accuracy as well as Tua does. Jalen's a very good college QB but IMO will never play the position at the next level. Tua, OTOH, like Jalen says, was born to play the position and is a rare talent. We are incredibly fortunate to have them both.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX

There are 129 FBS teams. I think all but about 10 of them would love to have Jalen as a starter.
Alabama would love to have him as a starter too if Tua wasn't already on the team.

I honestly believe that the skills Tua has is right on par with Manziel. Maybe more so because Tua's arm is stronger. Give Tua the keys to this offense next year from Game 1 and he wins the Heisman next year.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017

Is it any wonder poor Jalen became so gun shy? There's a whole culture preceding Saban of treating interceptions as the cardinal sin in Tuscaloosa. Throw in Saban's obsession with it and it's just too much. Jalen had the look of a man who had the weight of the world lifted off his shoulders in the second half.

I hope Saban doesn't try to neuter Tua. It's the confidence in his arm and fearless nature to let it rip and trust his receivers that saved Saban's butt and got him #6. I loved it when Tua had his arm around Saban consoling him after that interception. It may be that Saban has more to learn from Tua than vice versa. Ponder that one!!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I don't know how CNS will manage the situation. I think to most of us it looks about as closed case as it can be, but CNS isn't us.

But, I'll simply address of few thoughts/sentiments from here and other similar threads:

"But what if Jalen works really hard and learns how to be a better passer": What do you think he's been doing for two years? At this point, the proof is in the pudding. And no, it's not an arm strength/talent issue as much as it the intagibles that go with being a great passer.

"But what if Tua becomes a turnover machine/Jalen doesn't throw hardly any INTs" - CNS will demand Tua be smart and safe with the ball, but that doesn't men he won't still be able to be a dynamic passer. Remember the year AJ threw for 30 tds and only had 3 INTs.? And sure, Jalen didn't thrown many INTs for a simple reason. He didn't throw hardly any passes unless his receiver was wide open. That's the reason our offense struggled so much in the passing game with him. So he didn't throw many INTs, but he also didn't make many first downs on 3rd and 5+ and he didn't throw many TDs against the better defenses.

"But Jalen is a better runner/Jalen didn't throw for TDs but he ran for them" - I'm not really sure Jalen's a better runner unless you are talking about him running over a linebacker head on. Jalen scored some TDs and got some yards rushing at the expense of our running backs. That's why you have 'em. As for RPOs, Tua will put the "P" threat back in that that Jalen honestly never really was a threat to do AND when he runs he pretty dadgum good!

"But what if Tua throws an INT and we lose because of that?" - That's why we play defense and are about the best around at it. How many times have we turned the ball over deep in our own end and the defense bailed us out with a stop or held the opposing team to a fg? They did it against Clemson on the first play of the second half in the semi game when Jalen fumbled. Oh, and if Tua throws a pick six in a game or the other teams converts a TD or FG from an INT, what about the likely 2 or 3 TDs he'll probably also account for on our side of the scoreboard with his arm talent?

"What if coach tells Jalen to be more aggresive and take more chances?" - Well, that's who you have in Tua right now. Plus, the issue of accuracy suddenly becomes a huge issue. The reason Tua can be more aggressive is because as Daboll says he can hit a "keyhole." One of the reasons Jalen was never able to be as aggresive as he needed to be is because his accuracy is not very good. He constantly throws ball behind receivers and low and away. He really struggles with hitting guys on time and in the hands. If Jalen starts taking more chances and his throws are inaccurate he'll start having more INTs.

"Jalen has only lost two games as a starter" - No, Alabama's team only lost two games with him as a starter.

"He can transfer and be successful somewhere else" - He'd have to sit out a year and he could then play as a Sr. His best bet would be to stay and backup Tua (presuming he's named starter) and then graduate and use the rule where he could be a graduate transfer and play without having to sit out. If Jalen decides to transfer (not saying he should) this is his best play IMO.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice? (regarding JH's future)

Hurts was very underdeveloped as a passer out of high school and frankly he may have had his development stunted further by being put on the field so early in college. He never got an opportunity to just focus on self-development because he was being asked to do what was necessary to win that week. I truly believe he just needs a redshirt year in one of the next two seasons to do just that w/r/t self-development.

Honestly, he over-performed his projection as a passer out of high school but we're in a tier of competition where he needs to be able to execute at a high level against some of the absolute best to meet our realistic goals as a team.
My opinion as well, this is where if Jalen chooses to use this opportunity to develop, I can imagine him sticking it out to continue to improve his passing game, push Tua, and possibly take over again later...if he transfers, he likely plays/starts and does not have that development in a non-pro style offense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

This is what I've been thinking about for the last few days.

I love both of them as a player and as a person and I have tremendous respect for both of them and what they bring to the table. My thought on Jalen and Saban is that He will give Jalen every chance to win back his job and the team by his improvement on the field. Everyone is saying Tua won the job... but something inside me told me that it is not over. I really want Jalen to not give up and keep fighting.

Now, if Jalen lose his starting job, I can't see him as HB or WR... Everyone keeps saying he's a best fit there, but we don't know until we actually see him trying different position and I don't think we will see that. Whoever lose the spring battle will most likely transfer.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

This is what I've been thinking about for the last few days.

I love both of them as a player and as a person and I have tremendous respect for both of them and what they bring to the table. My thought on Jalen and Saban is that He will give Jalen every chance to win back his job and the team by his improvement on the field. Everyone is saying Tua won the job... but something inside me told me that it is not over. I really want Jalen to not give up and keep fighting.

Now, if Jalen lose his starting job, I can't see him as HB or WR... Everyone keeps saying he's a best fit there, but we don't know until we actually see him trying different position and I don't think we will see that. Whoever lose the spring battle will most likely transfer.
Wouldn't really benefit Jalen to transfer at this point. He'd have to sit a year and if he's on tract to graduate in three years like a lot of players who go to school year round he could tranfer after graduation and not sit at all.

I think his best bet would be to learn behind Tua if he's named the starter.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

Also there is this: We are assuming Jalen has no chance but Jalen had one interception all year (I think). Tua had one in one half. We know Jalen can play ball control O and I'm not sure Tua can because his instinct is to throw. So ball control may play a factor.
Tua had a 3-1 TD to INT ratio Monday. That's Tom Brady's NFL career ratio...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but Jalen may want to coach like his father some day. It may be he will want to hang around and learn, graduate and be a GA at Bama even if he is not our starter. He is a fine young man and I hope the best for him.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

Yes and im sure that will only approve with experience but it's still a ratio most NFL quarterbacks would be content with. Throwing one pick is not something you'll find in the NFL due to the style of play calling and you'll hardly see that in college. A quarterback examining or looking to go the next route is going to be one that's more of a gunslinger mentality. Considering the amount of time the kid had to play, I think hes done a hell of a job and it would be hard to ask for more.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA

Yes and im sure that will only approve with experience but it's still a ratio most NFL quarterbacks would be content with. Throwing one pick is not something you'll find in the NFL due to the style of play calling and you'll hardly see that in college. A quarterback examining or looking to go the next route is going to be one that's more of a gunslinger mentality. Considering the amount of time the kid had to play, I think hes done a great job and it would be hard to ask for more.
I agree. The best QB is not necessarily the one with the fewest interceptions. A great QB, like Brady, Marino, Favre, etc. will have games with 3-4 interceptions, but they will throw a lot of TDs and keep the defense guessing. If a QB will a) only throw to a wide open receiver or b) not throw it, then he really limits himself against teams with good secondaries. Then they load the box and the QB struggles.

A QB that will throw into tight coverages or take other risks will be much more effective against strong teams. Alabama has and will likely continue to win a majority of its games due to the strength of its defense. But we need to keep the best teams on their heels on offense like we did in the NCG second half. Even if we have to endure more turnovers, it is worth the risk in my opinion.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I've said this before -- Jalen is the best QB against all but the best teams. Everybody knows that to stop him, you: stack the line, deny the run, keep him contained, and make him beat you passing.

Knowing that, and executing it against our talent, are two entirely different things. All 130 FBS teams are aware of the formula. No more than 15 or so have a prayer of actually doing it, and no more that 7-10 have a really good shot at it.

So a Jalen-led team rolls over inferior talent, sometimes spectacularly. But consider: LSU is on a two-game win streak over us if they have just average QB play. Auburn hammered us this year. Due to to the defense setting up scores, the playoff game against Washington last year was closer than the score indicated. The loss to Clemson was at least as much about perpetually going 3-and-out, as it was about DeShaun Watson.

There was a 100% chance we were going to lose to UGA without the change.

Trouble is, if you're going to win a championship of any kind, you're going to have to beat 3 to 5 of those type teams. So while Jalen virtually guarantees 9-10 wins, I do not believe he is the best bet to win a trophy that matters.

So I think his future depends on what he wants to do after college ball. He's not a realistic NFL prospect at QB. So if he wants to play pro ball, it'll have to be at another position.

At Alabama, that's probably TE/HB or strong safety. If his future is at safety, it'll probably require a RS year to learn the technicalities of the position.

If he wants to coach, his best bet is to stay at QB. At Alabama, that might mean reconciling himself to a supporting role on the field, while he learns to coach from the best teachers in the country.

Or he could transfer if he wants to be the man on the field, while learning from good coaches, just not as good as those in Tuscaloosa.

If he wants to do something other than football, I'd definitely see a transfer. He could finish out the two years he has left, enjoying himself on the field. He would have plenty of offers.

To sum up: Tua is our best chance to win championships. He will make more mistakes than Jalen, but that might not be a bad thing. Jalen is so risk-averse that he has left a ton of opportunities on the table.

Where Jalen goes from here is largely up to him. What does he want to do after college? His answer to that question will tell us (and himself) what he should do.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

CA, I believe this is a bit overstated. GMAC, AJ, Blake, even Coker in the last third of the season ... we consistently took shots downfield. Saban has said time and time again that he wants explosive plays. The championship game showed that our offense was conservative for one reason only — the limitations of our quarterback. Our offense turned dynamic immediately after a single substitution.

Makes me wonder what the outcome would have been against Auburn if Tua had played the 4th quarter.

I hope Jalen stays and competes. I hope Daboll stays and teaches both of them.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

I don't know how CNS will manage the situation. I think to most of us it looks about as closed case as it can be, but CNS isn't us.

But, I'll simply address of few thoughts/sentiments from here and other similar threads:

"But what if Jalen works really hard and learns how to be a better passer": What do you think he's been doing for two years? At this point, the proof is in the pudding. And no, it's not an arm strength/talent issue as much as it the intagibles that go with being a great passer.

"But what if Tua becomes a turnover machine/Jalen doesn't throw hardly any INTs" - CNS will demand Tua be smart and safe with the ball, but that doesn't men he won't still be able to be a dynamic passer. Remember the year AJ threw for 30 tds and only had 3 INTs.? And sure, Jalen didn't thrown many INTs for a simple reason. He didn't throw hardly any passes unless his receiver was wide open. That's the reason our offense struggled so much in the passing game with him. So he didn't throw many INTs, but he also didn't make many first downs on 3rd and 5+ and he didn't throw many TDs against the better defenses.

"But Jalen is a better runner/Jalen didn't throw for TDs but he ran for them" - I'm not really sure Jalen's a better runner unless you are talking about him running over a linebacker head on. Jalen scored some TDs and got some yards rushing at the expense of our running backs. That's why you have 'em. As for RPOs, Tua will put the "P" threat back in that that Jalen honestly never really was a threat to do AND when he runs he pretty dadgum good!

"But what if Tua throws an INT and we lose because of that?" - That's why we play defense and are about the best around at it. How many times have we turned the ball over deep in our own end and the defense bailed us out with a stop or held the opposing team to a fg? They did it against Clemson on the first play of the second half in the semi game when Jalen fumbled. Oh, and if Tua throws a pick six in a game or the other teams converts a TD or FG from an INT, what about the likely 2 or 3 TDs he'll probably also account for on our side of the scoreboard with his arm talent?

"What if coach tells Jalen to be more aggresive and take more chances?" - Well, that's who you have in Tua right now. Plus, the issue of accuracy suddenly becomes a huge issue. The reason Tua can be more aggressive is because as Daboll says he can hit a "keyhole." One of the reasons Jalen was never able to be as aggresive as he needed to be is because his accuracy is not very good. He constantly throws ball behind receivers and low and away. He really struggles with hitting guys on time and in the hands. If Jalen starts taking more chances and his throws are inaccurate he'll start having more INTs.

"Jalen has only lost two games as a starter" - No, Alabama's team only lost two games with him as a starter.

"He can transfer and be successful somewhere else" - He'd have to sit out a year and he could then play as a Sr. His best bet would be to stay and backup Tua (presuming he's named starter) and then graduate and use the rule where he could be a graduate transfer and play without having to sit out. If Jalen decides to transfer (not saying he should) this is his best play IMO.
IMO you totally nailed it. Jalen is what Jalen is. He will very likely not get any better, whereas Tua will.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I disagree that Jalen would not get ANY better. He would not get past Tua as a passing QB, though. I share the belief he would not improve enough to be NFL caliber as a QB.

Simply put, Tua gives Alabama the best opportunity moving forward. At the beginning of this year and well into the season Jalen afforded Alabama the best opportunity to win.

As the season progressed later on it became apparent Jalen was not making the progress we hoped he would as a passer.

It was apparent immediately that Tua had the arm talent to take the job. The concern, for me, was always about "getting it" mentally. Not in the sense he couldn't learn, but that putting him in too early would put him in bad situations and stunt his growth.

You always want your QB to be "ready" before putting him in. Monday was "ready or not" time. There was no other choice but to lose the game handily.

Jalen is a heck of a man and competitor. It has to hurt being beat out by another. It is what it is.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.