Link: Keith Jackson Passes Away

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Younger fans have no idea how it used to be on game day. You would get two, maybe three games on TV each week. Bama would be on maybe twice a year, and if you wanted highlights you had to watch the Bear Bryant show on Sunday afternoon. The one thing that made those Saturdays would be when Keith Jackson called the game. Keith and Frank usually had the biggest game.

Thanks Keith for all those memories!!
My sentiments exactly. You knew it was a huge game if it was on TV. RIP Mr. Jackson we will miss you.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Simply put....the greatest that`s ever been at his craft. Those of you who never heard him call an Alabama game missed hearing and seeing an American treasure. God bless and RIP Mr. Jackson.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
I’ve been watching old games on YouTube off and on all day long. It is amazing how good he was and how today’s broadcasters need to take some lessons from him. Thanks for the memories Mr Jackson!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
He was great. The national title game against Miami was priceless for several reasons, but he was definitely one of them. Hearing him say A-LA-Bama was music to the ears. RIP, Mr. Jackson.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Legendary broadcaster Keith Jackson passed away Friday night at age 89, and ESPN has announced a way to honor college football’s signature voice.

The Worldwide Leader announced it will show a marathon this weekend of famous games that Jackson called, finishing with the classic 2006 Rose Bowl that saw Texas defeat USC thanks to a Vince Young touchdown run in the waning seconds.
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/espn-honor-legendary-broadcaster-keith-jackson-marathon-famous-games

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
RIP Keith and God bless his family. I know he and coach Bryant had a good relationship. He always showed coaches a lot of respect. He was the best!

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
My favorite broadcaster by far! I can remember listening to him during so many Bama games!!

I remember in the closing comments of the 92 NC game, he said something to the effect of......”They didn’t stumble into it, they didn’t back into it......They just WHIPPED Miami!”

There will never be another one like Keith Jackson! RIP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
My favorite broadcaster by far! I can remember listening to him during so many Bama games!!

I remember in the closing comments of the 92 NC game, he said something to the effect of......”They didn’t stumble into it, they didn’t back into it......They just WHIPPED Miami!”

There will never be another one like Keith Jackson! RIP!

Or right after the last Stacy TD: "With 6:06 left to play in the ballgame, I think I heard the door slam."

Edit: I'm sorry, it was Lassic.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Dang. :(

Growing up I always enjoyed listening to him calling games. His classic, “Whoa Nellie!” or just “Thanks for joining us here at Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama...” or my favorite, “Touchdown, Alabama!”. No one has ever been quite like him since.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Jackson.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Well here I go again showing my age….

To me Keith Jackson defined a new era in sports broadcasting and set the bar impossibly high for his successors. His predecessors were primarily radio broadcasters and damn good at what they were doing but worked with an audience that had no video imagery of what was taking place, so painted the picture with their narration. Damn good at what they did, but Ted Husing, Bill Stern, Harry Wismer, Mel Allen (Bama grad), and Red Barber, et al, pretty much had to paint a verbal picture of the action they were seeing, and if they erred in names, downs, yardage, etc, there was no one challenging their calls, the radio audience just had to blindly accept their description.

Keith Jackson however, was providing the voice over to the action the audience was watching, to me a much more demanding circumstance and one he handled supremely well. For me, in doing this, he set the bar supremely high for those that followed him, and all have failed to achieve his level of excellence.
Farewell and Godspeed Keith, you were gone too soon and I miss you and your elegant interpretation of the game terribly.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
[FONT=&quot]My most memorable moment of his was the UCLA at UGA opener in 1983. Working with Frank Broyles, their pregame discussion turned to the subject of the attractiveness of CFB over pro football. Finally Jackson says, "there ain't no Lumpkin street in the NFL." End of conversation. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]They say a picture is worth a thousand words. To me those words painted a picture worth 10 thousand words.[/FONT]

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The great thing about the Jackson-Broyles team was that they weren't interested in demonstrating how smart they were--all they wanted to do was help the viewers enjoy the games as much as they themselves did.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.