Hawaii EMA Accidentally Sends Out Ballistic Missile Warning

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
clicky

Hawaii Emergency Management Agency Administrator Vern Miyagi is headed to the agency's 24-hour operations center to find out why the false alert about a ballistic missile was sent out, according to an email to CNN.
"The warning was a mistake," Miyagi said.
A second emergency alert was sent to phones in Hawaii 38 minutes after the initial message confirming the false alarm.
Thank God our leaders are calm and deliberate...oh crap we are screwed.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It looks like we are about as prepared to deal with incoming missiles as we are to deal with another Russian attack on our electoral system. But we can all take comfort that Trump has the biggest nuclear button.

Any guesses as to how Trump will blame it on Obama?

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It looks like we are about as prepared to deal with incoming missiles as we are to deal with another Russian attack on our electoral system. But we can all take comfort that Trump has the biggest nuclear button.

hell, they can't even work the conference call system.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The great danger is the "crying wolf" aspect of this. If you accidentally push the "send out the real incoming missile warning" when it is just a test, people will learn to ignore the real incoming missile warning.

A less dire but very real example came from my time living in the God-forsaken wasteland that is Kansas (a place I think would make a great nuclear missile firing range). The state has tornado syrens all over the place, with good reason. One summer, I heard the syren at my palatial estate in eastern Kansas so I checked the weather map on TV. It turned out that there was the possibility of a tornado in far western Kansas, 350 miles away. There was not an actual tornado, mind you, just conditions that make a tornado possible. I thought the syren means there is a tornado right here, right now, but it was 350 miles away for Pete's sake, and it was just condition existing. So the Kansas Emergency Management folks were teaching Kansas to ignore tornado syrens. Good move, guys.

The joker in Hawaii should be made to publicly apologize and then fired.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Can you imagine the feeling after you realized what you’ve done? I would just start packing up my office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The great danger is the "crying wolf" aspect of this. If you accidentally push the "send out the real incoming missile warning" when it is just a test, people will learn to ignore the real incoming missile warning.

A less dire but very real example came from my time living in the God-forsaken wasteland that is Kansas (a place I think would make a great nuclear missile firing range). The state has tornado syrens all over the place, with good reason. One summer, I heard the syren at my palatial estate in eastern Kansas so I checked the weather map on TV. It turned out that there was the possibility of a tornado in far western Kansas, 350 miles away. There was not an actual tornado, mind you, just conditions that make a tornado possible. I thought the syren means there is a tornado right here, right now, but it was 350 miles away for Pete's sake, and it was just condition existing. So the Kansas Emergency Management folks were teaching Kansas to ignore tornado syrens. Good move, guys.

The joker in Hawaii should be made to publicly apologize and then fired.
if a tornado ever hits downtown hapeville on the first wednesday of the month at noon, i'm screwed

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
if a tornado ever hits downtown hapeville on the first wednesday of the month at noon, i'm screwed
Tornados don't hit on the 1st Wednesday of the month. That's why they test the systems at that time. Duh!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Can you imagine the feeling after you realized what you’ve done? I would just start packing up my office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s a new Southwest commercial just waiting to use this (“wouldn’t you like to get away?”).

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

NoBama blamed Bush, Bush blame Clinton, Clinton blame, Daddy Bush, and whoever replaces Trump (in 2024, perhaps?) will blame him. It goes with the territory.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Look, this was a STATE issue and had NOTHING to do with either Trump OR Obama but........nutbags gonna nutbag.....

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/arpa...missile-alert-points-states/story?id=52338056

Arizona Senate candidate Joe Arpaio, the controversial former sheriff of Maricopa County and an outspoken "birther," said Saturday he is not surprised that Hawaiians received an erroneous emergency mobile alert about an imminent ballistic missile attack because "there's something wrong with that government."

Case in point, according to Arpaio? Former President Barack Obama's "fraudulent" Hawaii birth certificate.

Arpaio claims Obama was not born in the U.S., despite what the birth certificate says. But Obama was indeed born in the U.S., in Honolulu on Aug. 4, 1961.

==============

Incidentally, the gal on Fox News didn't let him get away with this and actually pointed out the facts (for those of you still holding to cherished myth of one-way media bias).

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
From Hawaii.....friend of mine's post on FB.....and subsequent comments:

* (from BIL who is not a liberal)
I instinctively knew that this was a false alarm the moment it came in on my phone, as the DPRK does not yet have the capability to deliver a nuke warhead to Hawaii. And the gullibility of the people (residents & visitors alike) here is laughable; and, unfortunately, fostered by local officials. But give Kim Jong Un a few more years to work things out and the threat could become real. But for now, don't believe it when you hear that "the sky is falling!".

* (from husband of person who posted who is a liberal)
When an entire state receives an official warning notice, to not take it seriously is foolhardy. This has been proven many times in evacuation notices for fires and hurricanes as well. You may laugh and display a cavalier attitude, but this has become a serious situation with the threats made by our foolish president and that of Kim Jong Un.

* (response from BIL)
A hurricane or tsunami warning is different altogether. This was a specific "incoming ballistic missile" warning. And if it were authentic, what are you supposed to do?... "duck and cover"? The reaction to yesterday's error was a gigantic "Chicken Little" event. I imagine Orson Wells' ghost got a chuckle out of it. Politics need not be interjected.

:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.