Bad calls...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I remember seeing a replay where Irv Smith was breaking open (moving to his left) in front of the UGA LB. The UGA player grab his jersey and held on for dear life.

He did everything but rip the jersey completely off and redress him.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
It was either in the 3rd quarter or more likely in the 4th - an UGA defender hits Cam Sims high, almost appeared to be leading with his head, but in all fairness did get some pads on him. Vicious hit, but his prancing around on his hands and knees making a fool out of himself should have gotten the flag for no other reason. I believe the next play or two, N. Harris rips off a big run and is slung hard while out of bounds, no flag.

The UGA faithful and the AJC can shove it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Reading their boards I think that they are most hung up on the errant penalty called on the blocked punt. They view that play in a vacuum.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
(I just bought a new computer yesterday, so I'll be here more often again - hooray!!!)

For starters, let me say that IN MY VIEW, I actually thought that for the most part the refs did exactly what refs should do - they let them play the game of football and settle it on the field. There were some missed calls in both directions, but I would remind everyone that we now live in the era of the ubiquitous camera. I actually thought that the so-called out of bounds on the 80-yard TD pass for UGA was the right call. Missed calls both directions and right about equal. I also thought it important that they DID get the right calls on the late game PIs, for example.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: RARELY, not matter how egregious the call, does an official determine the outcome of a football game. One COULD argue that the Clemson game last year was one of those rare cases.....because calling the pick there with the clock going out and the game is over and Alabama wins. At the same time, I'm amused by fans who will overlook upwards of 100 missed blocks (mistakes) or tackles in a game by the players for their team and focus on ONE mistake by an official.

It's a game played by human beings who have human traits and watched by humans as well. You have to overcome THEIR mistakes just like your own. Furthermore, over the course of time bad calls are going to even out anyway. And here's the thing with most of us: I honestly don't think we really "care" about whether he "called that hold" or not......just so long as it is called the same in both directions (e.g. is fair). I recall Johnny Bench saying the only time catchers ever really get mad at umpires is when the ump has been calling the same pitch a strike for six innings and you set up the slugger on the other team with a perfectly placed pitch for strike three......and the ump suddenly calls it a ball.

We don't expect perfection - we DO expect consistency. If a certain type of defense is NOT okay for Minkah, don't turn around and let the opposing DB get away with mugging the wideout.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Reading their boards I think that they are most hung up on the errant penalty called on the blocked punt. They view that play in a vacuum.
But unless I'm mistaken, it wouldn't have made the blocked punt a blocked punt anyway......

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Totally agree - It seemed to me that an Alabama player was being held on almost every play. Watching B1G crews for decades, this is fairly typical. Offensive holding is just not called much in the B1G. Maybe Kirby picked up on that and took advantage?
More likely the players were feeling the "slack" and just did what came naturally. It was interesting that their OL were having to do it and ours weren't...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
More likely the players were feeling the "slack" and just did what came naturally. It was interesting that their OL were having to do it and ours weren't...
I think that Alabama's o-line was underrated all season. Great technique, keeping their hands inside and using their shoulders if a defender got too far outside rather than putting their hands outside the pads where a hold might be called. Just fantastic technique.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Without the penalty it was a block. Not sure what you mean.

So which are they arguing? That is wasn't a penalty at all? Or that it it should have been a false start on us? False start is dead ball and the block doesn't count. That's what Selma means.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
In regards to holding, I feel like the only thing called now days is a take down by the O-lineman.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
There would have been a penalty either way. There was a blatant false start that cause the Georgia player to jump.

The call went to the defense though because the defensive player started so far behind the line of scrimmage that he’d gotten two steps in before the snap. It made his jump look more blatant than it was especially when he wound up blocking the kick with such ease. Ultimately though, had the call not been offsides, it would have been false start. That would have nullified the block either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So which are they arguing? That is wasn't a penalty at all? Or that it it should have been a false start on us? False start is dead ball and the block doesn't count. That's what Selma means.
They are ignoring the false start and saying that the defender was not off-sides (he was not if you slow it way, way down), so the punt block should have stood.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Wasn't the mixup (and understand that I got confused in that whole sequence) the fact we had a false start and thus the play didn't count? The ref botched it and called it offsides - or is my understanding incorrect? I haven't seen the game again so I'm not sure.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wasn't the mixup (and understand that I got confused in that whole sequence) the fact we had a false start and thus the play didn't count? The ref botched it and called it offsides - or is my understanding incorrect? I haven't seen the game again so I'm not sure.
Yep - the officials got it wrong completely. They called off-sides when they should have called false start. What the GA fans fail to accept - either way, the block doesn't count. One of the teams made a mistake there (take your pick), and the result is a re-kick.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A false start is a dead ball foul - nullifies the play and five yard penalty...
Yep - if called. It wasn't called. The refs totally messed up the call, but the outcome was correct except for the yardage.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Guys my point is that this is the call that they are upset about, not that they are correct to be upset about it. They are wrong. But the mistake made by the officials on the play makes it hard to get through to them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Guys my point is that this is the call that they are upset about, not that they are correct to be upset about it. They are wrong. But the mistake made by the officials on the play makes it hard to get through to them.
OK, now I comprende'.

For those just joining:
1) Alabama was guilty of a false start
2) Refs called offsides on UGA
3) Play had a blocked punt by UGA
4) Since it was a dead ball foul EITHER way, the blocked punt portion never mattered
5) UGA fans are justifiably upset that the ball moved forward five yards, but we did still have to kick
6) UGA fans don't seem to grasp that that blocked punt - just like the George Teague strip - technically never happened

got it?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.