Bad calls...

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
First you have to understand the pay in question.
Najee Harris (#22 in white) was the intended receiver.
Calvin Ridley (#3 in white "intercepted" the ball before it got to Najee.
But the pass never got to him because it was caught by someone else before it got there so no foul. What advantage did Georgia gain on this play with this contact?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
But the pass never got to him because it was caught by someone else before it got there so no foul.
You obviously do not understand the definition of defensive pass interference.
This board has a rule against what is called "ignorant sparring," in which one poster saying, "yes, it was," and the other saying, "No, it wasn't," ad nauseum.
If you do not understand the rule about defensive pass interference, go look up the rule.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But the pass never got to him because it was caught by someone else before it got there so no foul. What advantage did Georgia gain on this play with this contact?
Do you agree that it was DPI if Ridley had not caught it?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
They are ignoring the false start and saying that the defender was not off-sides (he was not if you slow it way, way down), so the punt block should have stood.
Lol, if that wasn’t offsides, then their WR didn’t score an 80yd TD on 3rd & 11.

Only in super slow-mo could you even argue that you are positive the kick blocker wasn’t offsides, or that the Alabama players moved before the snap. In real time the dude blew past the line early, and ref eyeballs see in real time. Sometimes the close calls go your way, sometimes they don’t. This one went against GA. But an actual real TD pass went their way, so what’s to complain about. To call that an egregious error on the part of the refs is absurd.

^Not directed at you BIG, but at the opinion of UGA fans.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So we're to believe the official didn't throw the flag on a clear DPI because someone stepped in front of the intended WR and made the catch?

Earle, I can see all pictures except post 2 as well. Not sure what the problem is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
A foul is an advantage gained illegally by one team. What advantage did the defense gain on contact against a player the ball wasn't thrown to? It's one thing to know the rules. It's another to understand them. I'm trying to help with understanding them.

So by your definition of P.I., a team can tackle everyone else to the ground while the ball is in the air as long as one guy is not?

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
So by your definition of P.I., a team can tackle everyone else to the ground while the ball is in the air as long as one guy is not?
Why would you do that? You could be getting into unnecessary roughness or travesty of the game situations in that situation.

I think it was North Carolina that did something similar this year but they grabbed all the receivers before the pass was thrown on consecutive plays. We got direction from NCAA if a team tried that again to penalize the defense and put time back on the clock.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

If that is how you're going to call defensive pass interference, I sure hope there's no chance you'd ever get to ref a Bama game. Just saying...

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Completely irrelevant. We see penalties called all the time that have nothing to do with the play’s final result, but they’re still penalties. You see a penalty, you call it, period.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
A foul is an advantage gained illegally by one team. What advantage did the defense gain on contact against a player the ball wasn't thrown to? It's one thing to know the rules. It's another to understand them. I'm trying to help with understanding them.

It should have at least been a holding. The ball does not have to thrown to the player for defensive holding. Point is the flag should have been regardless of the outcome of the play. I believe the ball was being thrown to Najee. Calvin happened to be there too. The flag is thrown at the point of foul, not after the play is over.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think this thread indicates why officiating has deteriorated so much if this person is indeed a NCAA official and this is his understanding and application of penalties. Geez..

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I thought no flag was thrown for the same reason there is not a flag thrown if the ball is tipped before it gets to the intended receiver . If Ridley wasn't there and the ball receached 22 then there would have been DPI. That was my take.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I think this thread indicates why officiating has deteriorated so much if this person is indeed a NCAA official and this is his understanding and application of penalties. Geez..
Yep, this thread has opened my eyes. I knew targeting was bad, but this is way worse than I feared.

I’m sitting here banging my head against the wall with some of these...explanations...

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I thought no flag was thrown for the same reason there is not a flag thrown if the ball is tipped before it gets to the intended receiver . If Ridley wasn't there and the ball receached 22 then there would have been DPI. That was my take.
It doesn’t matter what the result of the play is. The guy ran straight into Harris and tried to knock him down WELL before the ball got there. That’s a penalty, period.

If you see two guys fighting, you don’t say “Well, they are both going to get flagged and those penalties will offset, so I won’t bother throwing the flag “. You throw the flag!

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I suppose their trying to tackle Irv Smith (on the same play, mind you) wasn’t a penalty either since “it had nothing to do with the end result”? That’s just asinine logic.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I'm an NCAA football official

Then as an official you would know that pass interference is called on an ELIGIBLE receiver and does not have to be the intended target. The catch by Ridley should make no impact on that and by rule the referee is not to make a determination of an intended target as it does not apply to the rules that govern pass interference.
https://www.ruletool.info/ncaa-rule-7-snapping-and-passing-the-ball/3/

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
My point was I have seen receivers mugged before and PI is called and then the flag is picked up because the ball was tipped before it got to the eligible receiver.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.