Bad calls...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So we're to believe the official didn't throw the flag on a clear DPI because someone stepped in front of the intended WR and made the catch?

Earle, I can see all pictures except post 2 as well. Not sure what the problem is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll try reposting. Rather than embedding, I'll just post it as a clickable link...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My point was I have seen receivers mugged before and PI is called and then the flag is picked up because the ball was tipped before it got to the eligible receiver.
Depends on when the contact is made. Interference ends when the ball is touched, but DPI is supposed to be enforced if the DPI occurs before the ball is touched.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm an NCAA football official
That is an incredibly illuminating answer.

You had said earlier, "What advantage did Georgia gain on this play with this contact?"
So, you see your role to negate one team's advantage over another?
I believe an NCAA official's function is to enforce the rules.
Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass.
Once the play is over and #3 in white caught the touchdown, obviously Georgia gained no advantage by interfering with #22 in white, but the flag should still have been thrown and Alabama given the choice. (Who knows, maybe they would waive the touchdown and take the ball 1st and goal on the 2, so they could running more time off the clock?)

Last edited:

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Then that contact had no impact on the play. If the pass is gong to a different receiver, unless it's a personal foul it's nothing.

Most fouls fall into one of three categories:

Procedural (offsides, illegal formation, delay of game)
Advantage/disadvantage (holding, pass interference, block in the back)
Safety (clipping, block below the waste, chop block)

Safety fouls should be called any time they happen. Procedural fouls should have a higher threshold to be called late in blowout games (don't get too technical). Advantage/disadvantage fouls generally have the most judgment involved and most have additional philosophies/tools that help to reduce the gray area and provide consistency.

The ultimate goal of an official is no flags on a game. I've never had a game as a crew with no flags, but I've had done with none. I'm an umpire so there's usually something procedural at least I have to flag. I only average 4-5 holding fouls in the course of the season (9-12 games) and I had 1 season with only 2 (and one I didn't like on video).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This should not be the goal of an official. The goal of an official should be to throw a flag when a penalty occurs.
Likewise, a lack of holding calls should not be a goal, because it is getting to the point where football is beginning to resemble NBA basketball. Referees started letting guys get away with three steps, and before you knew it, guys were taking four or five steps on their way to the rim. But hey... fans like slam dunks, just like they like 48-45 games with no defense, so no problem, right?
The rules committee has hamstrung defenses with the completely asinine rule change that allow linemen three yards downfield, and the straight-up muggings that are offensive linemen are allowed to commit on pretty much every play are turning the game into a joke.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
But the pass never got to him because it was caught by someone else before it got there so no foul. What advantage did Georgia gain on this play with this contact?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This is what worries me about your replies. This is not really a hypothetical; it happens. An OL holds 10 out of 12 plays. Each time happens behind the play, so, taking your philosophy, no harm, no foul. This encourages the flouting of the rules, since there's no punishment. The other thing I don't like about your philosophy is that you're overylaying the written rules with your own subjective judgement on every play. As a lawyer, that tells me that the rules don't really mean a damned thing. Is it any wonder that the officials receive the criticism that they do?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is what worries me about your replies. This is not really a hypothetical; it happens. An OL holds 10 out of 12 plays. Each time happens behind the play, so, taking your philosophy, no harm, no foul. This encourages the flouting of the rules, since there's no punishment. The other thing I don't like about your philosophy is that you're overylaying the written rules with your own subjective judgement on every play. As a lawyer, that tells me that the rules don't really mean a damned thing. Is it any wonder that the officials receive the criticism that they do?
Also, why are so many officials not following your philosophy? I've seen plenty of flags thrown behind the play. Is that subjective judgement also? So, the flagged team deserved punishment for some reason? I'm not sure you can really understand the conundrums your approach causes. I hope all officials didn't go to your officials' clinics. If so, we're in more trouble than I thought...

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Earle, I believe that officiating is getting worse across all conferences. It seems to worsen from year to year. I don't know what the answer is, maybe some type of continuing education and maybe a 5-year recertification.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Earle, I believe that officiating is getting worse across all conferences. It seems to worsen from year to year. I don't know what the answer is, maybe some type of continuing education and maybe a 5-year recertification.
Should be a combination of things. Re-education (work on the fundamentals), certification / testing, and closely monitoring the performance. And finally (and most importantly) - thinning of the herd. Get rid of the refs who have the most egregious record of missing calls, getting the wrong calls, and/or poor judgement.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
If indeed penalties called are determined upon whether the infraction gave the offending team an advantage or disadvantage, rather than committing an actual penalty, then why are 80% Of blocks in the back called? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been frustrated when a huge gain gets called back because of a block thrown well behind the ball carrier, that had no chance of impacting the play.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
If indeed penalties called are determined upon whether the infraction gave the offending team an advantage or disadvantage, rather than committing an actual penalty, then why are 80% Of blocks in the back called? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been frustrated when a huge gain gets called back because of a block thrown well behind the ball carrier, that had no chance of impacting the play.
I feel your pain. Two things I can think of as possible maybes are, these plays that span the field may be too much to ask for the refs to make the judgement call whether it affects the play and, more likely, a play like a block in the back has an element of safety concerns.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I get that officials do not want to throw a flag every play. It bogs the game down and ruins the enjoyment of the event. Officials are like the soundtrack of a movie. They should be there, but you hope they are not noticeable.
Maybe he meant that his hope is that violations do not occur during the game.
If they do, however, I think the official has an obligation to call the penalty. I understand that if DPI happens in the far corner of the end zone against a player that could not have possibly caught the ball, the ref does not throw the flag in that case. Or offensive holding against a defensive player on the opposite side of the field who could not possibly have made the tackle.
In the case of Georgia's #45 and Najee Harris, the DPI was so obvious and Najee was the intended receiver and could easily have caught the ball, so the DPI flag should have been thrown, even though Ridley ended up catching the ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.