Tua proves "If not for Colt" excuse as weak

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
We all know the favorite warcry of "If not for Colt!", regarding the injury to Texas' starting QB in the first of Alabama's NC's during the Saban run.

Oddly enough, when Alabama had to go to their backup QB, they became more productive.

Funny, huh?

Almost as if Texas simply hadn't prepped their backup.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Painful as it is to say it, Cardale Jones proved that for Ohio St....against us.

But your point is correct.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Not only that but UT fans were excited that he’d kept it close against our D until the end. They wuz excited as he’d face nothing that tough in 2010.

Wound up not nattering.
They "nattered" plenty. But 'Bama's rebuttal for winning No. 17 is, "If Hurts hadn't got Colted..."

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
To be fair Mac Brown is not Nick Saban. :) But on this subject I watched a pro game last weekend and I was amazed at the terrible QB play. I don't watch pro enough to even keep up with them. Passing was so bad one of them ran when they should have passed, you know, like going for it on fourth because you don't trust you kicker for a 20 yd FG. I was wondering how on earth can two pro teams have QB that can't pass. Maybe their starter was hurt? Don't know cause I only watch the last ten minutes of the game.

Buffalo was 17-40 for 138 yds. Jacksonville was 12-23 for 87 yds. There were three INTS in the game!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Not only that but UT fans were excited that he’d kept it close against our D until the end. They wuz excited as he’d face nothing that tough in 2010.

Wound up not nattering.
I got on the HornFans site that year just to keep up with the excuses and they were all pumped up that Spring about Gilbert. They were going to ride him to the BCS game that year. LOL.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I got on the HornFans site that year just to keep up with the excuses and they were all pumped up that Spring about Gilbert. They were going to ride him to the BCS game that year. LOL.
i don't think alot of the uga folks realize how hard it is to get back to the top once you make it to the big game.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
i don't think a lot of the uga folks realize how hard it is to get back to the top once you make it to the big game.
A pro example but it still applies (Atlanta Falcons fans take note!): In 1984 in his second season, Dan Marino took the Dolphins to the Super Bowl where they lost badly to the 49ers. He said years later that he thought that they'd be back again. They never did and he retired after the 1999 season without ever getting back. He realized that you never just "get back"; you have to start over and fight each time. (Miami never has gotten back.)

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
i don't think alot of the uga folks realize how hard it is to get back to the top once you make it to the big game.

I don't think they do, either. I hope they don't make it back. I can't stand to hear "how 'bout them DAWGS?" That drives me nuts. One time I went to a UGA game about 10 or 12 years ago at UGA. I was with a friend who was an AU fan and a friend who was a UGA fan. I was pulling for AU in that game because I hate UGA. Their fans ruined 1980 for me. And the news media...let's not even go there. Anyway, I felt so uncomfortable in that stadium. I will never go back again. We were eating in one of the campus restaurants and some guy hollered "GO DAWGS! Sic 'em!" And they all started barking. Made me nervous.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

No, and as an Atlanta Braves fan who enjoyed a glorious 1991, it's hard to accept that when the next year starts, you begin with everyone else at the starting line - you don't go back to being up 3-2 and only needing one win to be champions.

We've made it look too easy.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I don’t think the younger bloviating UGA fans do, but I’m sure the 50+ y/o fans know quite well from experience how hard it is!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They really were.

I have a friend who is around 42 years old, lifelong Texas native and fan. He has NEVER - I mean NEVER - used to Colt excuse. He even projected that we would likely beat them before the game was played, saying the whole thing would come down to whether their D could get penetration on our O line. He did say the one thing that frustrated him to no end, though, was knowing once Colt did go down that they had ZERO chance at winning. But he has always been classy.

Yet in the immediate aftermath of the game, he was excited because of how Gilbert stood in there. Their fan base REALLY did believe that Gilbert was going to keep them competitive. And to be honest, this is why I don't put much stock in recruiting rankings. It's not that they're meaningless but they don't tell everything. A guy can be a five-star and be lazy.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
To be fair, Colt was a great QB and that Texas team was built around him. Colt was no Deshaun Watson, but we also saw what happened to Clemson with an improved defense and no Deshaun Watson.

Texas was beat then instant Colt went down. OTOH, I think Bama wins the game handily if Colt had played the whole game.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Tua proves "If not for Colt" excuse as weak

The main difference in preparation between Gilbert 2009 and Tagovailoa 2017 is that Gilbert played 9 games before the Rose Bowl but only attempted 26 passes. Tua had attempted double that number before Monday. Mack’s obsession with getting Colt the Heisman by keeping him in blowout games to pad his stats likely affected Gibert’s readiness. Mack is one of the most overrated coaches of my lifetime. Unfortunately for our ears, he’s even worse as an analyst...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I don't think they do, either. I hope they don't make it back. I can't stand to hear "how 'bout them DAWGS?" That drives me nuts. One time I went to a UGA game about 10 or 12 years ago at UGA. I was with a friend who was an AU fan and a friend who was a UGA fan. I was pulling for AU in that game because I hate UGA. Their fans ruined 1980 for me. And the news media...let's not even go there. Anyway, I felt so uncomfortable in that stadium. I will never go back again. We were eating in one of the campus restaurants and some guy hollered "GO DAWGS! Sic 'em!" And they all started barking. Made me nervous.
I was in the Georgia Dome when we best for the SEC Title. They barked all game long, well until AJ hit Amari for the game winner. Men who were good and grown barking like they didn’t have any sense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.