Link: Kevin Sumlin to Arizona

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Sumlin to be Arizona HC

Good hire. I think he got fired this year because of mistakes made in the first few years he was at TAMU. He had started to correct the problem with trying to be the Johnny Football U culture and recruiting better guys between the ears. Jimbo Fisher will reap the benefits.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I actually think he was a better coach than his record indicated. Now he has learned some tough lessons in the SEC also. I think he will be way more successful there, and will not be expected to do as much as the Aggies expected.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
If Sumlin can duplicate his record at A&M, he'll stay at Arizona as long as he wants to.
One 2012 type season could set him up for at least five years. This will be a lot less stressful and much less booster involvement. Good spot for him to land in after the turmoil at Texas A & M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Agree that AZ is a great place for Sumlin to land.

Wish I could get fired, collect a seven-figure settlement for that, then turn around and land a new seven-figure gig.

Sumlin made a fortune off of one season, one game in that season, and one player that made it even remotely possible. Good luck catching lightning in a bottle twice.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
One 2012 type season could set him up for at least five years. This will be a lot less stressful and much less booster involvement. Good spot for him to land in after the turmoil at Texas A & M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well . . . . Got him 5 years at aTm, now that you mention it! ;)

Agree that AZ is a great place for Sumlin to land.

Wish I could get fired, collect a seven-figure settlement for that, then turn around and land a new seven-figure gig.

Sumlin made a fortune off of one season, one game in that season, and one player that made it even remotely possible. Good luck catching lightning in a bottle twice.
AMEN!!! I remember joking when the boogs fired Jean Cheatnik and paid him millions - I'd have left aub for HALF that amount!

FWIW, I agree with those who said his aTm record will keep him employed at AZ forever. It Probably would.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I just don't get it. I don't think he's a good coach at all. He's never won any kind of championship whatsoever. I should say, I think he's an average coach. Saying I don't think he's good at all makes it sound like I think he's awful, and it's not that. I guess maybe for Arizona, he's just right. We'll see.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I just don't get it. I don't think he's a good coach at all. He's never won any kind of championship whatsoever. I should say, I think he's an average coach. Saying I don't think he's good at all makes it sound like I think he's awful, and it's not that. I guess maybe for Arizona, he's just right. We'll see.
I agreed with you when I first heard of the hire but since then I have realized that Arizona is not expecting to win the PAC 12. They just want to go bowling every year.

Kevin Sumlin: Houston record 35-17. A&M record 51-26. 83-43 .659 Arizona would prolly build him a statue if he can go 8-4 every year. Arizona is 4-8 the past four seasons. I he can go 8-4 in the SEC West then surely he can go 8-4 the PAC 12 South.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.