What's the real skinny of recruits getting cars...money....families getting stuff?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Not directing this to any school in particular.

How bad is it?

I'm aware of some that made the news.....Miami Hurricanes comes to mind and SMU. And in our conference I guess most recently Ole Miss....

Then of course in basketball....Pittino and all the others.....

But what about strictly football. Is this pretty rampant but very hard to prove, thus goes undisclosed?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
No one really knows unless they are a well traveled coach, I suppose. I think there are HC with character who try to do it the right way and then there are those who have no character. We always here about the latter when they get busted. We don't hear about those who do it right, I guess. They way I look at it, if they have been a HC for a long time and not been busted then they prolly are doing it right.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I will say this, it sticks out when something really abnormal happens. To give an example, the Cam Newton thing left a pretty big trail and just reading what the people surrounding that said, left one to reach an obvious conclusion (even if the NCAA didn't do anything). Ole Miss though, there were those of us calling that one before they finished signing the first big recruiting class. They might as well have put up neon signs, so I'd argue that a lot of rule breaking goes on, but when some really big stuff is going down it can be easier to spot. If a guy who is already headed someplace gets some extra incentive though, what does that really change? It's a guy getting enticed to go someplace he otherwise that is a major problem.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I will say this, it sticks out when something really abnormal happens. To give an example, the Cam Newton thing left a pretty big trail and just reading what the people surrounding that said, left one to reach an obvious conclusion (even if the NCAA didn't do anything). Ole Miss though, there were those of us calling that one before they finished signing the first big recruiting class. They might as well have put up neon signs, so I'd argue that a lot of rule breaking goes on, but when some really big stuff is going down it can be easier to spot. If a guy who is already headed someplace gets some extra incentive though, what does that really change? It's a guy getting enticed to go someplace he otherwise that is a major problem.
I would like to think the NCAA tries to keep all the colleges in a sort of contained bubble in regards to improper benefits. I think they really only go after the people who are doing it blatantly and without attempt at secrecy, or trying to purchase a whole class of recruits, etc. Generally speaking I think they just don't want it to look like an open auction on student athletes. Of course they really have no teeth in regards to punishment if everyone stays together so I'm not really sure what good they are for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
ot directing this to any school in particular.

How bad is it?

But what about strictly football. Is this pretty rampant but very hard to prove, thus goes undisclosed?
Business as usual on the Plains. Pat and the Bagman are extremely busy right now securing another top fifteen class...

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Star players still get golden handshakes. These have become more creative in the delivery now days. But I can tell you road games and especially bowl games it is rampant!

I was at a well know Alabama Hotel in Dec prior to a bowl game and had an envelope put under my door by accident when a team was
Staying there. It only had initials on the outside. But I coud see through the paper that is was a Visa Gift Card. I fortunately was there when it came in and I quickly went to door and flagged lady down and told she must have got wrong room. She checked a paper and put under the room door next to me where I know players were.

I have also seen many first hand sightings of sports coats getting envelopes for several different schools. It happens everywhere. To what extent? IDK but it is alive and well.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
A good few years ago my son was in summer school when a kid from the projects drove up next to us in a brand new extend cab white pick up (about $40K). My son told me later that he was a big time recruit for TN (I think Phat Phil was the coach at the time). Does it still go on now? I'm sure it does.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
A good few years ago my son was in summer school when a kid from the projects drove up next to us in a brand new extend cab white pick up (about $40K). My son told me later that he was a big time recruit for TN (I think Phat Phil was the coach at the time). Does it still go on now? I'm sure it does.
It does at awbern...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Any time you have players, fans with more money than sense, and ego-needs, you will have a problem. I think most Power 5 schools have agreed to look the other way...especially in football. No one wants the NCAA to snoop around anyone's program.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
Not directing this to any school in particular.

How bad is it?

I'm aware of some that made the news.....Miami Hurricanes comes to mind and SMU. And in our conference I guess most recently Ole Miss....

Then of course in basketball....Pittino and all the others.....

Bazza, you forgot to include getting good grades too.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.