Bama Coordinator Search Thread

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Anyone have a problem with TOSU OC from last year? I know he is not "aivalable" but for the right price everyone is available.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Well we are officially in the market for an OC. I wonder what Coach Mac is up to these days...
We've had worse. BUT... We have had better also. (CLK on Game Day, but he's not the best influence on your kids...)

We might have to hire another Pro Offensive guy to fit our players.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Here's one to run up the flag pole, Freddie kitchens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Haven't thought about Fat Freddie in years. Pretty good coach.
(Wonder if he's still a big guy?)
In Freddie's playing days he could knock you down with his passes.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: Bama Coordinator Seach Thread

I remember reading after Florida let Coach Mac go that Saban contacted him through their mutual agent to let him know "we are here for him." I believe he got over 7 million buyout from the gators.
Talk about a bargain... We get Mac, and Florida pays his salary ;)

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
To kind of cover some of the big names being mentioned, here's my take:

Mike Shula
This seems like such a long shot. He would be joining the staff of the guy who replaced him. I doubt he'd want to come back. The thing is he's someone who has had a success as an offensive coordinator (which is more than could be said for Daboll) and his time at Alabama also gives him knowledge of the college game. If you just look at his resume he looks like a better version of Daboll. A pro guy who has more ties to the university, more success as a coordinator, and more knowledge of the college game. The only reason I think he'd even consider the job is if he was serious about becoming a head coach again (since working as a coordinator for Saban is one of the best ways to achieve that).

Jim McElwain
It is hard to get excited about the prospects of this hire. His offenses at Florida looked pretty bad. But, he's someone I think Saban can trust and he did have a fair bit of success at Alabama. He understands the college game, he knows how to recruit, but is he the best offensive mind available? Probably not...

Hugh Freeze
Analyst yes, coordinator? No... First, Alabama doesn't need NCAA trouble, so the idea of him going out there and recruiting worries me. Furthermore, his reputation is damaged beyond just the NCAA. Not only that, but Alabama stubbornly spent the year refusing to fully accommodate Hurts' abilities (and weaknesses) on offense. Now why would Alabama really want to bring in a hurry up no huddle spread guy like Freeze after being so intractable? I'm not sure I get that. On the other hand, if they could just stash him as an analyst that would be great.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Shula would be interesting, had a pretty good run as OC of the Panthers.
Don't know that he would want to return to college football under Saban though, he can probably stay in the NFL as an OC or QB coach.

I don't like "Beaver Teeth" Freeze, gimmicky offense, and fake, Mr. nice guy personality.

I say promote coach Lock, or look for another college OC.

And may not be popular, but i don't like coach Mac much either, i know he's close with Saban and did some good things for Bama, but i just feel he's overrated and runs a boring offense.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
May be wrong, but when Mac invented the death threats at UF, he disqualified himself from working "inventiveness" into a 'Bama offense again under Saban. Betting even with the mixed (albeit 17th NC) results Daboll yielded, Saban again goes for NFL pedigree. Just not an OC recently fired and soon to be working as a waiter at the family steakhouse...

Would be even more likely to think that way if not for an NFL trend that seems to be pinned to the success of 31-year-old Sean McVay with the Rams, and continuing with last week's hiring by Da Bears of Matt Nagy, 39, who experienced like four games as full OC under Andy Reid in KC before becoming a head coach in the NFL. So Saban would have to go with a position coach a la Daboll or a retread (save for Sonnyboy) who's out for redemption. Interesting to contemplate in myriad ways.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Of the best 4-5 OC candidates out there I suspect we'll focus on the best recruiter. Anybody know what kind of recruiter Long is?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I assume that if we don't give it to Locksley we will have to replace his slot. Dang, but that's a lot of coaches to hire at one time.

rtr

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I think Coach is in a tough position; Locksley and Tosh are both great recruiters and good coaches, but maybe not better than the guys on the other side at schemes and such. Neither may stick around if they don't get the coordinators job. I imagine CS will evaluate it and hire the best coordinator he can find, and let the chips fall where they may.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah, and he's got a list of candidates...no doubt.

I honestly can't tell if some of these suggestions are legit or folks just trying to get their post count up. Just glad CNS will be on top of it

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.