Bama Coordinator Search Thread

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
LOL.

Seriously though, I think it was you who pointed out some team was going to get a really good OC at a bargain in Freeze. You're 100% correct on that. I just hope its not Bama. Ive seen some on Twitter compare Freeze's situation to to Kiffin's or Sark. Those two circumstances are not even in the same stratosphere, especially in regards to the NCAA.
So, to extrapolate: Saban as saint and master brings the Irish OC back home from South Bend and places his buddy Freeze in the embrace of Touchdown Jesus for his Act of Contrition.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
He increased ND's scoring by 4 ppg in his one season there, the year before he was the OC at Memphis, where he tied Kiffin's Bama team in PPG without all the NOTs Bama had.

He's a good one.
Yep, Long is the most interesting name I've seen floated so far.

Unfortunately, we probably lose Locksley if he isn't named OC. But the fact that he hasn't already been given the position probably means that Saban is somewhat reluctant to hand him the offense.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I keep hearing Locksley from posters and have seen tweets from Damien Harris speaking favorably of him. Others seem very unsure.

What's the draw to him (other than his current role and popularity with some of the players) and what's the concern with him?
The draw to him is that he is a good recruiter with great ties to the DC/Maryland/Virginia area. He is also very well liked by many, maybe all, of the players. He is said to be a team unifier (that may be because he was the position coach of the most "upset" players this year - the WRs).

The source of most of the cons, mine included, is his OC record, and that he was an RPO guy, at least at Ill.

Years as OC and the total offense ranking:
Ill: '05: 70-119
Ill: '06: 69-119
Ill: '07: 33-120
Ill: '08: 18-120
Mar: '12: 121-124
Mar: '13: 79-125
Mar: '14: 114-128
Mar: '15: 88-128

In summary 2 offense in the top half of the country in 8 years. Those 2 years he had a great QB in Juice Williams, who along with RPOs, was a revelation to the Big10. They were unprepared for him and it. OTOH, Ron Zook was the coach and Illinois was the program. But Zook did bring in a bunch of talent. ML did have 2 good offenses.

Maryland was the Randy Edsall years, with ML being the OC the last 4: 4-8, 7-6, 7-5, as interim HC 1-5, total year 3-9.

Again, if CNS thinks he's the best hire - OK. And I doubt he would hire him based primarily on the players desire. Play calling is a unique talent, some have it, most don't. Of course, a coordinators job is more than play calling. But that aspect is a talent.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The draw to him is that he is a good recruiter with great ties to the DC/Maryland/Virginia area. He is also very well liked by many, maybe all, of the players. He is said to be a team unifier (that may be because he was the position coach of the most "upset" players this year - the WRs).

The source of most of the cons, mine included, are his OC record, and that he was an RPO guy, at least at Ill.

In summary 2 offense in the top half of the country in 8 years. Those 2 years he had a great QB in Juice Williams, who along with RPOs, was a revelation to the Big10. They were unprepared for him and it. OTOH, Ron Zook was the coach and Illinois was the program. But Zook did bring in a bunch of talent. ML did have 2 good offenses.

Maryland was the Randy Edsall years, with ML being the OC the last 4: 4-8, 7-6, 7-5, as interim HC 1-5, total year 3-9.

Again, if CNS thinks he's the best hire - OK. And I doubt he would hire him based primarily on the players desire. Play calling is a unique talent, some have it, most don't.
Not a strong resume according to the numbers...

A job should never be awarded on popularity...but I think CNS knows that.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm betting Chip Long or Mike Locksley at this juncture. I bet a choice will be made quickly because of the home stretch of recruiting.
Not sure about Chip but I'm with you on Locks. I don't think Coach really has to make a quick hire though because he, Tosh, Locks and our two new coaches are more that capable of landing our last 8 recruits. The staff decisions are going to be critical going forward.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
So, to extrapolate: Saban as saint and master brings the Irish OC back home from South Bend and places his buddy Freeze in the embrace of Touchdown Jesus for his Act of Contrition.
Sounds about right [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

The source of most of the cons, mine included, is his OC record, and that he was an RPO guy, at least at Ill.

Again, if CNS thinks he's the best hire - OK. And I doubt he would hire him based primarily on the players desire. Play calling is a unique talent, some have it, most don't. Of course, a coordinators job is more than play calling. But that aspect is a talent.
He had Rashard Mendenhall along with Juice Williams in sone of those years at Illinois.

I'd argue that he never, ever came close to the level of talent he'd have here next year though.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
He had Rashard Mendenhall along with Juice Williams in sone of those years at Illinois.

I'd argue that he never, ever came close to the level of talent he'd have here next year though.
Good point. Context matters- he was at Illinois and Maryland. Not jobs with upper echelon talent. Thus, not great offensive production in terms of numbers/ranking. One of those years @ IL they went to the Rose Bowl which is a huge accomplishment @ Illinois. I would liken it to Kentucky making a New Year’s six bowl game. Not suggesting he’s a juggernaut OC but context does matter in this discussion.

He’s been a good recruiter and WR coach for us. It was rumored last year he would be promoted after Sark left. Either way, I think we’re in a win-win situation with the talent and potential hires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
As well as Arrelious Benn.
No doubt. But you just want the best you can get and not settle. But in a college coach, there is more to consider than technical expertise - especially recruiting, also fit, etc. So, CNS has to balance all of those things.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
CNS has worked directly with Locksley. He's seen how he breaks down film. He's seen his input in devising game plans and heard his suggestions for play calling during the game. I imagine that carries more weight than his experience as the OC at Illinois or Maryland. Not that the past experience isn't important. I just think CNS will put more importance on what he's experienced firsthand.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Here's the truth, CNS hasn't always hit home runs with OC hires. Applewhite wasn't good, and Nuss was awful, Kiffin was good but troubled, Daboll didn't have enough time and the QB to run his system to know for sure, Sark was in and out so fast my head spun. Coach Mac was his best hire in my opinion. I'm a little nervous about Locksley because he was passed over when Kiffin left and when Sark left. Does CNS see something that troubles him in this situation, or is just his philosophy as an OC doesn't fit where CNS wants to go?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Here's the truth, CNS hasn't always hit home runs with OC hires. Applewhite wasn't good, and Nuss was awful, Kiffin was good but troubled, Daboll didn't have enough time and the QB to run his system to know for sure, Sark was in and out so fast my head spun. Coach Mac was his best hire in my opinion. I'm a little nervous about Locksley because he was passed over when Kiffin left and when Sark left. Does CNS see something that troubles him in this situation, or is just his philosophy as an OC doesn't fit where CNS wants to go?
Locksley was an off-field analysts before this season. He's not really been "passed over" in my opinion. Saban has a lot of confidence in him to immediately name him Co-OC after being an analyst for a year or two.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Locksley was an off-field analysts before this season. He's not really been "passed over" in my opinion. Saban has a lot of confidence in him to immediately name him Co-OC after being an analyst for a year or two.
You may have a point, but he was on staff. That speaks to me about the situation. I may be totally reading too much into that, and I really hope I am. I would like to keep Locksley on staff considering the job he did with WR's and his recruiting ability.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.