Bama Coordinator Search Thread

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
A lot of people have said that Saban wanted him back, and I read that he had to pay the fee for leaving early, so Alabama wanted him back. He left because, for whatever reason, he wanted to be elsewhere. He returned to his home town. He returned to the NFL. So it might not have had anything to do with working for Saban - might be as simple as preferring the much easier work load in the NFL. We will probably never know.
I think that even if the season has gone perfectly for Daboll in terms of executing the offense he wanted, rolling up tons of yards, and becoming the toast of Tuscaloosa, he still would have left if the NFL came calling. The fact that it was Buffalo, a place close to where he grew up and maintained a home, just cemented the deal.
Usually the biggest complaint by college coaches is travel associated with recruiting When that is done, you start prepping for spring football. When that is done, it is straight into evaluating talent for the next recruiting class. If you’re lucky, you get a couple of weeks off during the summer to “catch your breath” before fall camp starts.
Daboll has a half a dozen kids I think. It could be as simple as the NFL offered a better work/life balance.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
And how many true freshman starting quarterbacks have you seen in that scenario?

This situation is unlike any other that I can recall or think of. True freshman/sophomore, 3 different offensive coordinators, leads his team to the championship game both years. I'm pretty sure no one can point us in the direction of anything else that looks like that.

What I can do though, is rattle off a pretty long list of guys that didn't look like NFL talents in their first two years in college, yet developed into NFL talents later in their college career. I think people are putting way too much emphasis on two years starting, and not nearly enough that he so far hasn't had the opportunity to learn on the sidelines like virtually every other future NFL quarterback did. I do think a transfer would work best for him, he could go somewhere that has a senior QB (he's also never had a more experienced QB to learn from), sit for a year, learn and then after that we all can see if he's developed or not. I just don't think it's fair to assume he can't do what tons of other QBs have done, which is learn and develop when they're still a teenager.
I'm not saying its completely impossible. I am saying its very unlikely at this point. Maybe if he had better development from a younger age he would be a future NFL star but at this point it seems unlikely for him to even make an NFL roster as a QB.

It's also not about games he won or even how good of a college QB he is/can be. It's about where he is in the passing game and its realllllly far behind. If the NFL is his goal then QB probably isn't the best option. I know someone asked about a position in the NFL for him and I think NFL teams could use him as a hybrid hback, TE, WR, RB kind of player. He's a good athlete and I think with a good trainer/coach would gain some more "wiggle" that he would need in the NFL. Again, I'm not sure he would make it long term in the NFL at any position (I mean you never know about any player) but I think changing his position is the best option IF that's what he wants.

Personally, I would love for him to play a hybrid roll here and maybe getting a few wildcat snaps a game. He is a deadly runner from the QB position even when you know its coming and he can make enough throws to keep the defense on their heels when he enters the game. I think he could be a big asset on short yardage and redzone plays. Plus he would take hits away from Tua who doesn't have the same build as Jalen and frankly doesn't look like he could handle some of the hits I've seen Jalen simply bounce off of. Tua is tough but just not as strong.
Tyrod Taylor says hi.
Good point. He might be the best example of the exception to the rule. But even he is a middling starter in the NFL at best.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good point. He might be the best example of the exception to the rule. But even he is a middling starter in the NFL at best.
He's been in the league about 6 years. He'll draw a NFL pension the rest of his life.

Of course I'm not arguing he's good and it's amazing he can play for that long and AJ is stuck backing up an "average" qb in the league (I know that's totally another ball of wax).

For the most part, I agree with you assessment of Jalen's odds of playing in the NFL as a QB, but TT probably can be an inspiration to Jalen and who knows what might happen in two more year of playing.

I do think if Jalen is going to get noticed by NFL scouts at QB it probably won't be playing at Alabama though.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I do not want Jalen to leave. I also prefer that he not be our starting QB. I just think Tua is better suited for playing the QB role. Jalen may be a better fit at another position, but agree with the point that his competition would be too fierce to play at Bama, since we are already too talented at virtually every position. So, in order to switch positions, he might need to transfer (actually true if he wants to be a starting QB). That said, who better for him to play for than the coach who used to be a running QB then made the switch to another position to play in the NFL? I think Scott Frost/Nebraska should be a good landing spot for Jalen, if he decides to move on elsewhere.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is my belief that playing time in the NFL (especially at QB) is based much more on where you land than your talent level relative to your peers across the sport. There are several teams in the NFL with more than one QB on their roster better than Tyrod Taylor could ever hope to be, and some of those players may never see the field as a starter. How he made the Pro Bowl in 2015 is beyond me. He was a 64% passer who protected the ball and could scramble, but they had an 8-8 record and most of their wins were because of their defense.

Tyrod Taylor got paid because Rex Ryan was the head coach, and he is an idiot. He has no idea how to identify a talented QB - just look at the guys that he brought to the Jets and Bills during his career. TT carried a clip board for 4 years at Baltimore and got paid for it. Generally, that is where the career ends for someone like TT. But as long as we have guys like Ryan out there, everyone has a chance.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
He's been in the league about 6 years. He'll draw a NFL pension the rest of his life.

Of course I'm not arguing he's good and it's amazing he can play for that long and AJ is stuck backing up an "average" qb in the league (I know that's totally another ball of wax).

For the most part, I agree with you assessment of Jalen's odds of playing in the NFL as a QB, but TT probably can be an inspiration to Jalen and who knows what might happen in two more year of playing.

I do think if Jalen is going to get noticed by NFL scouts at QB it probably won't be playing at Alabama though.
Yea that's fair. I would fully support Hurts trying to become an NFL QB if that's what he wants. I just don't think its his best path to the NFL.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
With Jalen's size, speed, strength, and athletic ability he could probably be a good safety. It comes down to what he wants to do with his future. Following your dream is great, but there comes a time when you must realize that maybe your dream doesn't match reality. A lot of knowledgeable people do not believe he would make it in the NFL as a QB.

Last edited:

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
And how many true freshman starting quarterbacks have you seen in that scenario?

This situation is unlike any other that I can recall or think of. True freshman/sophomore, 3 different offensive coordinators, leads his team to the championship game both years. I'm pretty sure no one can point us in the direction of anything else that looks like that.

What I can do though, is rattle off a pretty long list of guys that didn't look like NFL talents in their first two years in college, yet developed into NFL talents later in their college career. I think people are putting way too much emphasis on two years starting, and not nearly enough that he so far hasn't had the opportunity to learn on the sidelines like virtually every other future NFL quarterback did. I do think a transfer would work best for him, he could go somewhere that has a senior QB (he's also never had a more experienced QB to learn from), sit for a year, learn and then after that we all can see if he's developed or not. I just don't think it's fair to assume he can't do what tons of other QBs have done, which is learn and develop when they're still a teenager.
Been saying this all year. He was not allowed the luxury 98% (maybe) get. Hr came into the best program in the country with no quality depth ahead of him and was thrust into a we have got to win NOW. That left him to his instincts and they worked for the most part. He can not lose that run instinct as long as he has the pressure of can't take a loss no matter what. Just my opinion

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
You know, I wonder if the frustration was as bad and as open as some have said it progress to. Did Jalen start noticing it and what impact did it have on him? Because if you're a true teammate (which I believe he is just that) you hate being the weak link. You hate being in the locker room, on the practice field, on the bus etc. knowing a lot or most of your teammates think you're holding the team back. The pressure can mount fast.

I remember more times than I'd like to admit in my playing days (baseball), where I would simply just hit a funk, both in the field and at the plate. If it were only a game or two no one really cared. But if you were a starter and you began striking out in key situations, making mistakes in the field, and it continued for more than a handful of games. The grumblings and whispers started. That was THE WORST feeling in the world. The pressure to get out of it before you lose the respect of your teammates is a heavy burden to tote. But it does push you to get better.
Agree completely. Had posted the same thing recently. While it's always a guess to try to read someone's mind, I believe the type of person Jalen is would make this very likely. He's not blinded by his ego, genuinely admires Tua's gifts, they are close, had to know the effect his play was having on the team and knew that some of his teammates were frustrated, as even distant observers didn't need insiders to tell us that there was discontent on the part of at least a few. Thus, IMO, some of Jalen's joy after the game was actually relief - he knew what was going on.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
okay, So who are we looking at for the 10th spot? I would think Saban would make announcement sometime after NSD?
We have 10 right now. Likely to change when Dunbar goes back to the NFL and Pannuzi moves to an off field role as expected. I'd expect none of that to go down until after NSD.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We have 10 right now. Likely to change when Dunbar goes back to the NFL and Pannuzi moves to an off field role as expected. I'd expect none of that to go down until after NSD.
I dont think Dunbar leaves.... and actually the tenth spot is technically open since Saban is looking to fill the spot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I must have missed a hire somewhere. Who are the ten?
Posted in another thread:

OC/QB - Locks
OC/WR - Gattis
RB - Burns
TE - ?
OL - Key
DC/OLB - Tosh
DC/ILB - Golding
DL - ? (assuming Dunbar is back to the NFL)
DB - Scott
ST - Banks

Those are based on how UA has announced the hires along with speculation by many. And there's some talk now that Dunbar might not go anywhere.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.