Bama Coordinator Search Thread

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
He only turned FAU into an offensive dynamo with a turnaround from 3-9 to 11-3.

Kiffin was the best offensive mind Alabama has had since Homer Smith. Daboll's approach to offense was really underwhelming. Jalen Hurts has his weaknesses but this guy managed to maximize the pains of our QB's weaknesses and never truly exploited his strengths with any consistency.
Yet, how many of us were so very frequently screaming "Run the ball!" ?

For better or worse, Bama fans are rarely satisfied.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
Pure conjecture here, but this is how I believe it might have played out:

Daboll brings his play book and begins to install it.
After a while it becomes clear that Jalen can only run a small portion of those plays.
Daboll pushes Saban to let Tua start.
Saban trusts Jalen to get the job done and let's Daboll know that Jalen is the guy.
Daboll now has direction - what does he do with it?
Answer - nothing. He made no changes, expecting Jalen (and the team) to sink or swim running his plays.

No blame there. Saban could have switched QBs earlier. Daboll could have adapted his offense to Jalen. Neither happened.

Just be thankful that it worked out.
I think that is exactly what happened. Daboll did not adapt his game for Jalen. Kept trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Yet, how many of us were so very frequently screaming "Run the ball!" ?
And always will - to set up a vertical game, not the bailing "throwaway" that Daboll's offense implanted in Hurts' QB DNA. Embarrassing (and infuriating) to watch the predictability of it - and how it almost did 'Bama in, in two straight NCGs...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I love how in all of this analysis that Saban is never, ever at fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he has some blame in this but mostly in the way every leader must own the failings of his subordinates. His offensive coordinator didn't give him the best offense he could put on the field with the quarterback who frankly proved to be more than good enough to compete for championships a year prior. Was Tua a better fit for what Daboll was implementing? Obviously but that ain't what his boss told him to implement. There's a reason he's back in Buffalo right now.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean, you come in and implement an offense that only works against high level competition with the backup anywhere and see how long your coach keeps you around.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think he has some blame in this but mostly in the way every leader must own the failings of his subordinates. His offensive coordinator didn't give him the best offense he could put on the field with the quarterback who frankly proved to be more than good enough to compete for championships a year prior. Was Tua a better fit for what Daboll was implementing? Obviously but that ain't what his boss told him to implement. There's a reason he's back in Buffalo right now.
We can argue that last sentence for days if you like.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A lot of people have said that Saban wanted him back, and I read that he had to pay the fee for leaving early, so Alabama wanted him back. He left because, for whatever reason, he wanted to be elsewhere. He returned to his home town. He returned to the NFL. So it might not have had anything to do with working for Saban - might be as simple as preferring the much easier work load in the NFL. We will probably never know.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I truly do not believe Saban was too committed to bringing him back in 2018 but since he's a part of the Belichick-Saban fraternity he got a mum send off. This offense was a hot mess in 2017. Saban would've been off his rocker to bring Daboll back. It was a failed experiment that got bailed out by 5-star talent.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A lot of people have said that Saban wanted him back, and I read that he had to pay the fee for leaving early, so Alabama wanted him back. He left because, for whatever reason, he wanted to be elsewhere. He returned to his home town. He returned to the NFL. So it might not have had anything to do with working for Saban - might be as simple as preferring the much easier work load in the NFL. We will probably never know.
Buffalo probably paid the exit fee in some contractual exchange between Daboll, right?

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Recruiting is definitely an eye opener for those coaches who are not accustomed to it. I think while many coordinators know that a job under Saban can be very demanding, I can't help but wonder if the details and time involved coupled with recruiting just became an overwhelming presence for he and his family. There's so much more attention to detail when dealing with young kids that it's quite possibly a matter of ....it's just not for everyone. However, there could be a combination of things mentioned by several here. Nonetheless, it's obvious it just wasn't a good fit if there are this many theories available as to what the deciding factor was and any or all could have been just as deciding in promoting Locksley.RTR

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I assume that was done just to discourage NFL teams from becoming a big poaching factor for our staff in the future not because Saban truly fretted much over losing him. We already have the entire SEC hiring off our staff. Don't need the NFL taking a look-see too.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Does anyone really know what kind of offense CNS really wants other than one that is balanced?
He has only said that he wants to be balanced, control the game (which can mean almost anything) and produce explosive plays. He has never said that he wants any particular offense (that I know of). But when Kiffin became pass happy, he didn't seem very happy about it, so that says something by itself.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Recruiting is definitely an eye opener for those coaches who are not accustomed to it. I think while many coordinators know that a job under Saban can be very demanding, I can't help but wonder if the details and time involved coupled with recruiting just became an overwhelming presence for he and his family. There's so much more attention to detail when dealing with young kids that it's quite possibly a matter of ....it's just not for everyone. However, there could be a combination of things mentioned by several here. Nonetheless, it's obvious it just wasn't a good fit if there are this many theories available as to what the deciding factor was and any or all could have been just as deciding in promoting Locksley.RTR
I think you have nailed it, plus the staff only has 20 hours per week for practice. I also believe there is a significant difference in the mindset between the NFL coaches and college coaches. A 10 win NFL season gets your team into the playoffs, a 10 win college team season gets you the Heart of Dallas bowl. Nowhere near the same. Daboll and Alabama are both better off.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I think you have nailed it, plus the staff only has 20 hours per week for practice. I also believe there is a significant difference in the mindset between the NFL coaches and college coaches. A 10 win NFL season gets your team into the playoffs, a 10 win college team season gets you the Heart of Dallas bowl. Nowhere near the same. Daboll and Alabama are both better off
I'm no so sure. There seems to be some that believe Saban ran off the greatest OC we ever had.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.