Bama Coordinator Search Thread

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Kiffin didn't change his behavior. He muted it a little, but he didn't grow up when he had a golden opportunity to do so.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Well then, so be it. Another "but surely he can't be bad enough to completely screw up with this much talent." No, he's probably not, but he's likely the closest we've come to that mark.
You know with the exception of Applewhite...Saban has won a national title with every offensive coordinator that his been here. Seems like he is able to get the most out of whoever he hires to do the job.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Kiffin didn't fumble his chance. He will be the big hire next year if he has a repeat performance at FAU.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

.......So how that a fumble... if he is doing well at FAU and took lot of stuff he learned at Alabama and implemented at FAU? Kirby is doing the same thing, and I can say Pruitt will do the same. Man, Ya'll so harsh on Freeze...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The thing is Locksley had a chance to learn under Kiffin and Daboll. He knows what works and what won't work with his receivers. WE will always be a run first team, but given that Locksley had to develop plan for Hurts this season since Daboll refused to do so, I wonder what does that mean for Tua and Jalen... I think under Locksley there will be a competition no matter what the fans said... SO, I think we will add another OC and QB coach just to figure out some things.
Saban will be making the decision on whether there will be a competition, not ML or anyone else. And there will be a competition, and there should be, regardless of what anyone else thinks; though IMO, Jalen has no chance to win it - he deserves the chance to try.

What was ML's plan to develop Hurts and how to you know BD refused to do so ? Your Daboll comment sounds very specious.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I’m bought in. The difference in character displayed between he and Freeze is enough to sell it for me, but the way that the team has rallied behind him seals the deal. Hoping this turns out to be a successful long-term role for him and the team.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Saban will be making the decision on whether there will be a competition, not ML or anyone else. And there will be a competition, and there should be, regardless of what anyone else thinks; though IMO, Jalen has no chance to win it - he deserves the chance to try.

What was ML's plan to develop Hurts and how to you know BD refused to do so ? Your Daboll comment sounds very specious.
How do you know he has no choice? Both of the guy has 50 50 chance of winning the job... Anything can happen and Never say never...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I’m bought in. The difference in character displayed between he and Freeze is enough to sell it for me, but the way that the team has rallied behind him seals the deal. Hoping this turns out to be a successful long-term role for him and the team.

Smh.... lol. It's not over yet for Feeeze lol.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
How do you know he has no choice? Both of the guy has 50 50 chance of winning the job... Anything can happen and Never say never...

Obviously, that's my opinion. But by your reasoning if Mac Jones is involved, and I'm sure he will be, each contestant has a 33% chance. But we both know in reality that Jalen could not win a legitimate competition vs Tua. Tua reads the defense much better, reads the field much better, is far more accurate, has more confidence in his ability to throw, has a far better pocket presence, when he scrambles he keeps his eyes down field, is a quicker runner and more elusive, makes better decisions on the RPOs (though there's not a lot of history there for Tua). Both kids' intangibles are off the charts, Tua has a bit more moxie. Jalen is a stronger runner and has better top end speed, he protects the ball better.

This coming from a big Jalen supporter til late in the season. I'm still a big Jalen supporter, but not to start at QB. I think Jalen was relieved when Tua took over - Jalen knows, he's a smart kid, not blinded by a massive ego or selfishness. All of his teammates knew, and he knew they knew - it was a relief for him. I said somewhere else that IMO, there's not a QB in the Saban era who has Tua's talent, skill or moxie. It's not a knock on Jalen. Time and chance have been kind and unkind to him. Tua is just waaay too much for anyone at this time. He may be the most gifted Bama QB since Stabler.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I like the hire, and I hope Locksley lights it up this fall! I hope his popularity in the clubhouse and his recruiting prowess will more than make up for whatever perceived playcalling deficiencies he might (or might not) have. I personally will withhold any judgement until I see what he can do with our system and our level of talent.

One thing I wonder though...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...reeze-but-sec-might-be-reluctant-to-sign-off/

If there’s any truth to this article, I wonder how well the coaching staff will gel. Coach Saban is used to getting his way, and this makes it seem as though the conference blocked the hire of Freeze. That means that Coach Saban is working with an OC that he doesn’t want, and an OC who constantly has to work knowing he was the 2nd choice for the job. That would have to be a strain on the relationship going both ways.

Hopefully this article is a bunch of bull. Otherwise it would be tough to develop staff chemistry with that as an extenuating circumstance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Go back and watch the watch the playcalling for the 2's in the spring game. That is the offense I expect to see. Coach Locksley called it and did a fine job IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As long as it’s not a Macnussarus Rex type coordinator then I think we are in good shape on offense. I think if we can get Freeze in some capacity then it’s better than not having him. I also think it would be entertaining watching some of the LSU fans who desperately want him melt more because we would have him.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Well if I had to choose between Locks and Freeze as my OC..... and not even considering personal issues. I still choose Locks. Mike has more OC experience and hell Freeze fired himself from calling plays a few years ago. I still believe Coach was not going to hire Freeze as OC regardless. Somewhere on the staff but not OC. I think Long was Saban’s #1 choice and after that he went to #2 for continuity. Coach has worked with Locks a couple years now. He knows and trusts him to do the best for Alabama. Coach don't like to lose period. He's not going to start now.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Maybe Saban has in mind putting Freeze upstairs at games, watching as a consultant but not coaching, like Sark did. That kept Sark in reserve in case Kiffin returned to form and pooped out. I don't think Lock will poop out, but Saban might feel better to have Freeze basically on the bench in reserve.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Looking at Locksley's statistics at his OC jobs in the past he ran a balanced offense that performed for the most part. The failures were against good competition. It's hard to judge the job he did because at no point did he appear to have much in the way of difference makers. I think running Alabama'a offense he should be fine. My questions:

Does he bring anything innovative to the table?
Does Alabama need anything innovative?
Does he hate scoring touchdowns?

I ask that last question because Tua is a touchdown machine and if you hate scoring touchdowns you're certainly not going to start him.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
As much as people debate the Freeze topic, we have to remember that programs want to win. He's a brilliant offensive coach. If Alabama dosen't hire him, someone else will. It's almost like the Bruce Pearl situation when he went to Auburn.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
For those who know...was curious...what kind of money would they be able to pay Freeze in a consultant type roll? Secondly, is this a way to ease him into a bigger role (OC) down the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.