Bama Coordinator Search Thread

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
This x 1000!!!

There's just not way we should play like we are scared an INT will lose the game....especially when we have one of if not the best defense each year in college football.

I know it's all about CNS's aversion to turnovers but I hope this is apart of the adjustment he's willing to make in his own approach to football.

Last year, we had a Ferrari in the garage and we drove a Towncar for most of the year.

There's just no reason not to let this offense be great!!!
It could be with all the injuries on the D side of the ball Saban was a bit more protective of the ball (conservative). But, what do I know.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll try to answer it for you as simple as I can .He has a strong rpo background but has run basically a multi style formation offense, so he's incorporated a lot into his formations . With the talent we have at his disposal, I wouldn't see a problem with whatever style he and Saban decide to go with.
I personally hope we go in the direction of leaning more toward the pro-style offensive set. I don't think we'll abandon the RPO and with Tua's passing abilities the RPO means something.

But RPO qbs that have the passing abilities of someone like Tua just don't grow on trees. Going forward, I don't won't us to get into a situation like we were in the last couple of years having an RPO QB who really wasn't a strong passer.

I think recruiting QBs for our future will demand one who has passing skills first and foremost and if they can run, great. In other words, I hope we'll be done offering scholarships to running QBs who want to come to Bama to learn how to pass.

It's hard to say JH was a failed experiment, and I have nothing but respect for his contributions and his handling the NC game, but it become clear this year that that style of QB play doesn't work well for a team loaded at every skill position.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Tua's ability to read defenses, go through progressions, and throw receivers open will result in a more advanced passing attack. Whether we use RPOs or power runs I'm pretty confident that our playbook's route tree will put more stress on defenses than ever before.

Teams won't bring a safety down any longer. The running game will benefit from Tua's skill set.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I personally hope we go in the direction of leaning more toward the pro-style offensive set. I don't think we'll abandon the RPO and with Tua's passing abilities the RPO means something.

But RPO qbs that have the passing abilities of someone like Tua just don't grow on trees. Going forward, I don't won't us to get into a situation like we were in the last couple of years having an RPO QB who really wasn't a strong passer.

I think recruiting QBs for our future will demand one who has passing skills first and foremost and if they can run, great. In other words, I hope we'll be done offering scholarships to running QBs who want to come to Bama to learn how to pass.

It's hard to say JH was a failed experiment, and I have nothing but respect for his contributions and his handling the NC game, but it become clear this year that that style of QB play doesn't work well for a team loaded at every skill position.
I think skill set is the biggest difference with what ML has at his disposal vs his past stints and formations as offensive coordinator. I'm sure his past roles at illinois and Maryland were undoubtedly affected by what he had on hand, and rpo may have been what suited those particular teams well. I'm hoping for a more multiset /pro style attack with what we have in the backfield and wr talent. The rpo can still be useful as evident in the championship game but I hope it's not necessarily the staple or primary attack we use. If I had to guess right now, I assume that it won't be and we will see a more aggressive offense going forward.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Locksley has aspects that lean towards Tua being the better fit but he's still a power spread guy which means an elite QB runner has a spot in the offense too.

I think there is a good chance we play the QB position by how we imagine the opponent will defend or has shown to defend. Maybe Tua ends up being the starter because he's got the best skill set mix but Hurts could end up playing a lot especially when we get up on people and want to grind them into submission.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Locksley has aspects that lean towards Tua being the better fit but he's still a power spread guy which means an elite QB runner has a spot in the offense too.

I think there is a good chance we play the QB position by how we imagine the opponent will defend or has shown to defend. Maybe Tua ends up being the starter because he's got the best skill set mix but Hurts could end up playing a lot especially when we get up on people and want to grind them into submission.
I think that will be the perfect role for Jalen, personally, especially in playing the better defenses were we need good balance in passing and running.

We know that a subpar defense couldn't defend us with Jalen running and even his passing, but in those games after developing a big lead, we brought in a backup who's best skill set is to throw the ball all over the place.

I know this year CNS needed to develop Tua but it went against his tendency to salt games away with the running game, especially when we have a big lead.

Going forward, Jalen seems the perfect fit for this role.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I know Tua gets a lot of hype for his big play ability but the part I hope we really utilize is his quick reads and release. He is really effective with quick passes/screens and we have great skill guys so I would hope we use a lot of those.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I hope not. IMO, the running game should improve significantly with Tua at QB because of the threat of the pass. IMO, Bama will run better with Tua. I hope Bama, at least the fans, is not fooled again by success against a bad schedule. I.e., Bama could do almost anything and it will work against most teams on this schedule, but the few decent to good defensive teams that Bama plays will be the test, and we've already seen how that works. I know everyone wants Jalen to play a part, but the team comes first. He should be the backup and if he must play, adjust the O however much is possible from the Tua based O.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I hope not. IMO, the running game should improve significantly with Tua at QB because of the threat of the pass. IMO, Bama will run better with Tua. I hope Bama, at least the fans, is not fooled again by success against a bad schedule. I.e., Bama could do almost anything and it will work against most teams on this schedule, but the few decent to good defensive teams that Bama plays will be the test, and we've already seen how that works. I know everyone wants Jalen to play a part, but the team comes first. He should be the backup and if he must play, adjust the O however much is possible from the Tua based O.
I agree. The threat of quick reads and accurate passing makes the rushing attach much more effective.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
I agree. The threat of quick reads and accurate passing makes the rushing attach much more effective.
Just look at the success najee had in championship game. Sure he runs like he is possessed but the creases were there. The linebackers and safeties cannot crash down hill on snap of the ball. With jalen in they take two steps up every play. With tua you could tell Ga was on their heels literally. With o line skill positions and tua this offense is going to be deadly.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Tua stretches the defense vertically and horizontally. The quick decisions he makes and incredible release he has throwing the ball is a treat to watch. Plus he has the ability to extend plays and I think that's one thing that caught Georgia off guard. If he continues to progress and everyone around him does their part, the 2018 offense will be very good. The offensive line will be the deepest and most talented that Coach Saban has had in his time at Alabama. Running backs will be very talented and multiple. The tight ends and receivers will be talented of course. Then you have all of the 2018 class coming in to provide depth and competition. Very excited about the offense next year. Just hope the defense and special teams can replace the departed players.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I hope what you said above plays out to everyone's liking, but IMO, the loser of the QB competition will be leaving Tuscaloosa. That is not intended to be a knock on either QB or the coaching staff; it is just how things are now in the college football world. If it happens then I would completely understand either one's decision and wish them the best. I, of course, have been wrong before so TIFWIW.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I hope what you said above plays out to everyone's liking, but IMO, the loser of the QB competition will be leaving Tuscaloosa. That is not intended to be a knock on either QB or the coaching staff; it is just how things are now in the college football world. If it happens then I would completely understand either one's decision and wish them the best. I, of course, have been wrong before so TIFWIW.
Yes it is a fact that it is a difficult world at the top of the athletic pyramid. I think about how many thousands of QBs there are in high school. Many of them are outstanding young men but only a hand full get to the power five level. From there only 3-4 have a chance to play in the NFL. An environment that has the likes of Tim Tebow, physical specimen that he is, pursuing a baseball career. JH is an extraordinary young man and I have no issue with him working his tail off and playing QB at UA. Tua on the other hand is extraordinarily talented at the QB position and can play on any team such as UCLA or USC who would give their all to have him. So likewise IMHO one of the young men will be forced to make a decision based on what they deem is best for them. Jason Eason was forced to and the same physical principals apply to UA as well.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I still think Tua will be the starter, but it is naive to assume that the change in OC doesn't open things up a bit more. Daboll, intentionally or otherwise was undermining Hurts with his playcalling. At least in theory Locksley is capable of utilizing Hurts better.

That's not the answer to the question of who starts though. To me the real question and real concern is how the change in OC could disrupt Tua. Tua seemed to be a good fit for Daboll's downfield style passing game, but that unfortunately doesn't mean he's automatically going to be as good a fit for Locksley's style game. We'll have to wait on that, but now that Tua has shown himself to be game ready, I certainly hope nothing causes him to take a step back.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
I still think Tua will be the starter, but it is naive to assume that the change in OC doesn't open things up a bit more. Daboll, intentionally or otherwise was undermining Hurts with his playcalling. At least in theory Locksley is capable of utilizing Hurts better.

That's not the answer to the question of who starts though. To me the real question and real concern is how the change in OC could disrupt Tua. Tua seemed to be a good fit for Daboll's downfield style passing game, but that unfortunately doesn't mean he's automatically going to be as good a fit for Locksley's style game. We'll have to wait on that, but now that Tua has shown himself to be game ready, I certainly hope nothing causes him to take a step back.
A college coordinator should be able to adapt his play calling to the strengths of the personnel. Kiffin is a master of that. Hurts was not ready to push the ball down field but that doesn't excuse the fact he was not put in best position to succeed.

I just feel as college oc, once the players are on campus you have to decide which system works for your best players, not best players to run your system. That has to be sorted out in recruiting process.
That has always been my thinking.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A college coordinator should be able to adapt his play calling to the strengths of the personnel. Kiffin is a master of that. Hurts was not ready to push the ball down field but that doesn't excuse the fact he was not put in best position to succeed.

I just feel as college oc, once the players are on campus you have to decide which system works for your best players, not best players to run your system. That has to be sorted out in recruiting process.
That has always been my thinking.
To me, this was the failure of the Daboll/Hurts partnership. I wonder if Daboll ever coached TEs at NE with anyone other than Brady at QB? In college, you have them 4, maybe just 3, years. That means that an OC must be able to adjust the offense to the strengths of the player. The problem with Jalen was that his strengths could be taken away by packing the box, since he only responded to the opened up field with accurate downfield passes. Also, Daboll didn't build in the horizontal plays which Kiffin used to accommodate Jalen. Finally, Jalen is just too risk-averse to pull the trigger...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Relationships rarely fail due to one side but it truly did come down to our run game and pass game not really being coherent. We called an offense in 2017 that accentuated Hurts' weaknesses and mitigated his strengths.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I just feel as college oc, once the players are on campus you have to decide which system works for your best players, not best players to run your system. That has to be sorted out in the recruiting process. That has always been my thinking.
I see this as a real issue, especially with the continued turnover at OC. CNS knows which offense he wants to run and players are recruited to fit that system, but when he changes the system there is the possibility the current QB's skill set do not work in the new system. I do not think CNS and Daboll were ever on the same page or maybe Daboll was getting mixed signals from CNS or possibly Daboll was simply in over his head as a college OC. Whatever the reason it is hard to argue with another NC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.