Bama-Miami Championship Game on now

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
And there it is, the best Bama play that never happened. Chased down "the leagues fastest receiver" and not only caught him, but stripped the ball from him. A shame it was taken away by a penalty.
It's still significant because i it saved what looked like a walk-in TD.

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
Nobody ever give credit to Bama for doing so, but let's face it Alabama ended "Thug U" dynasty that night. Miami would not be relevant again till the new century, a near decade later.
Ya, I remember thinking of it as the "upstart" thug Miami, was kept from getting the coveted "3 in a row" by blue blood Bama. Little did I know at the time that it also ended their dynasty.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
I remember watching this with my Dad and a lot of other folks. Everybody had to remain in the same chairs as they started watching the game in. We loved it so much we watched immediately after on the old VHS!

The Huntsville Times headline the next day read “Good Morning, National Champs!”

Still love watching games with my Dad! Always good times!

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
I was a little disappointed that they skated over that game and the aftermath in the 30 for 30 documentary.
I noticed that too. We didn't just end it for them, we totally shut it down. But it was barely touched by that documentary. Of course that documentary was more of a praising of the thuggery than being concerned about history. But what do you expect when the director was a Miami grad from the time period.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I was a little disappointed that they skated over that game and the aftermath in the 30 for 30 documentary.
They skated over a lot of things in that documentary. The hail Flutie game, the beating they took by Tennessee in the 86 sugar bowl, losing to Bama in the 93 sugar bowl and Losing to Nebraska in the 95 orange bowl.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Just to keep Mr. Ventre in our history :)
---------------------------------------------------
Michael VentreJan. 1, 1993

NEW ORLEANS -- Miami is No. 1. It will stay that way.Alabama doesn't have a hope, or a prayer, or a shot in the dark of upsetting the Hurricanes for the national championship in tonight's Sugar Bowl. And it won't even be close. Alabama will be trounced, clobbered, mauled, devastated, humiliated and left for dead. The Crimson Tide will not roll, not even a little bit. Tonight you will experience low Tide. Probably even ebb Tide. You wouldn't even have to hike up your pant legs to wade in what be left of this Tide after the Hurricanes pass through. Here are the reasons why:

Reason No. 1: ATTITUDE The Alabama people are just too darned nice. They're too respectful. All their players act as if Bear Bryant is waiting in the woodshed with a whittled switch if they misbehave. This may be OK in the SEC, where everybody is like that. But how can you build up a nice healthy hatred for a renegade school like Miami if you spend most of your time acting like Sunday school teachers? You may not like Miami, but they have an attitude. And you NEED an attitude. Just listen to Miami wide receiver Lamar Thomas: "I try to talk to the defensive back as much as possible. When he starts listening, that's when I know I have him in my back pocket."

Reason No. 2: AIR POWER Alabama believes in establishing its running game. That's dandy, except for the fact that tonight the only running the Crimson Tide will do is running onto the field, and then running off it. Alabama will not be able to move the ball. It won't be able to BUDGE the ball. You will need calipers to measure Alabama's productivity on the ground. So then the Alabama playres will have to throw. And they won't be able to do that, either. And they'll commit turnovers. And then the Miami players will boogie and gyrate as they create a new dance for the occasion. See, Alabama's quarterback is a guy named Jay Barker. He is a nice young man, and when he regains consciousness late tonight, I hope he has a plan for the future that features him as a constructive member of society. Because when the fraternity brothers of I Slamma 'Bama get through with him, the only football he'll ever want to play is Nintendo. Miami, on the other hand, has a Heisman Trophy winner at quarterback in Gino Torretta, a formidable offensive line and a fine group of receivers. "We're too talented," Miami wideout Kevin Williams said. He speaks the truth.

Reason No. 3: COACHING Don't get me wrong. I like Gene Stallings. He's a terrific coach. He has restored much of the luster to the Alabama tradition. And he has his club on the brink of a national title. But he made a big boo-boo Thursday night. He kept his players at their hotel, the Hilton, instead of packing them up and taking them to some secret location, a la John Thompson of Georgetown and, for that matter, Dennis Erickson of Miami. "They showed Bourbon Street on TV," Erickson said Thursday. "I'm glad I wasn't there. It's unbelievable, all the hoopla....We'll go to someplace so remote even I won't know where it is." That's good. For a game of this magnitude, you have, in no particular order, groupies, derelicts, boosters, maniacs, spouses of boosters, students, drifters, children of boosters and drunken rednecks scattered throughout the teams' hotels, trying to get a piece of the action. This isn't good.. On the night before a game, the team needs to stay together, avoid distractions at all costs and focus on the task at hand. Stallings, though, has chosen to keep his team in the middle of the madness. Big mistake. Most teams look confused and disoriented against Miami anyway. Tonight Alabama will look that way during pre-game introductions.

Reason No. 4: KARMA You just get the overwhelming feeling that its Miami's year again. Little things are adding up. Alabama lost one of its best linebackers for the Sugar Bowl when Michael Rogers was injured in a Christmas Eve car accident. Miami survived the Pell Grant scandal and Hurricane Andrew and the loss of star defensive end Rusty Medaris and is still brazen as ever.
Tonight the Tide won't roll. It will roll over.
According to some people I know that were there, some of Miami's players made it to Bourbon Street.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Just to keep Mr. Ventre in our history :)
---------------------------------------------------
Michael VentreJan. 1, 1993

NEW ORLEANS -- Miami is No. 1. It will stay that way....

blah, blah, blah

Bama 34
Miami 13

I remember reading this a LONG time ago and being insulted and taking it personally and all that garbage. At the end of the day, it's only a football game but to me, this is a good example of how almost all of the things in life that we get anxious of and we worry about that simply never come to pass. It's also a reminder that pride goes before the fall. This particular Miami team actually had a very good defense and a good but not great offense. We had a great defense and a very mediocre offense. So, we just didn't know which way this game was going to go. If I remember right, this was about the time they were starting to play with more discipline and showboat less but they still had a big mouth. This was just a good old fashioned butt-whooping by Alabama and I have to say I enjoyed it immensely. We shut them down and we shut them up pretty good. There are certain movies that can come on very late at night and no matter what, I have to watch them to the end even if I had to get up for work the next day. For me, this is the one game that could be showing on ESPN Classic or on one of the local cable channels and no matter what's going on, I just simply have to watch it.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
So refreshing to hear TV commentators with class and integrity. Keith Jackson and Bob Griese were the best in this one.
There is just something about Keith Jackson commentating a game that demonstrates what real class is. You never got the feeling he was a homer for any team and he never went out of his way to hype up a player to the point almost of worshiping him. He hyped up teams and coaches instead. Very refreshing even though he has been retired for some time and passed on recently. Miss his voice and demeanor.

tideindc

2nd Team
Jan 2, 2015
I remembered the Teague play so vividly...yet completely forgot there was an offsides penalty giving the ball back to Miami! Great seeing David Palmer and Derrick Lasic doing damage and that amazing defensive beatdown. Seeing the game again after all these years, however, didn't improve Jay Barker's passing or running that game!

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I remembered the Teague play so vividly...yet completely forgot there was an offsides penalty giving the ball back to Miami! Great seeing David Palmer and Derrick Lasic doing damage and that amazing defensive beatdown. Seeing the game again after all these years, however, didn't improve Jay Barker's passing or running that game!
I always remember Jay Barker as a decent QB that was not asked too much of, just don't lose the game for us.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Watching that game, did you not get the feeling that Toretta was hungover pretty badly?
Nope.
He'd just skated through their schedule that season, and had not faced a defense that good. He realized pretty early on that he was in for a beating. On the flip side, Miami's defense hadn't seen anyone just line up and punch them square in the mouth. By running the ball straight at them, we negated their team speed, and used their light undercarriage against them.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I remember watching that game like it was yesterday! My best friend and I had just rented a house and moved out from home a few days prior. We had quite a few friends over and among those there were barn fans that tagged along to enjoy the butt whipping they thought Miami was going to put on us. The barn fans left before the 4th qtr got started good because with the performance Bama was putting on, it was obvious we were going to win! I recorded it on VHS and wore that tape out rewatching the game over and over! IMHO, the score (34-13) didn’t even reflect the curb stomping Bama put on the thug-U! One of my favorite Keith Jackson commentated games! Those were great times!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I remember be so nervous during this game. Miami's offense was so lethal that I feared they'd just eventually explode...but if there's every an example of a defense who had somebody's number we had their's that night. Unbelieveable performance!!!
Same here. Miami was so dominating that year and yes they could score in a matter of seconds. I literally sat on the edge of my seat the entire time. This game and this years NC game are my favorites.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Still think this is likely Bama's best D ever, if not second best to 2011. Just unreal across the board.
Not taking anything away from either team, but if you could marry 2011's linebackers with 92's D-line and secondary, I don't think there would have been a team that could have scored on it.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Torretta, wasn’t hungover, he just didn’t know what to do when he saw all 11 players on defense stack the line...it was hilarious to see him lost and “shell shocked” by that mighty Bama D!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.