Bama-Miami Championship Game on now

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
The smug getting slapped off of Erikson's face was priceless.
There was a distinct difference in how the coaches represented their self and the team. When I watched it last night again, Stallings was all business like in his appearance while Erikson had his shirt unbuttoned with a big gold chain showing. That's exactly how the teams played that night...Bama all business like and Miami cocky. It was very fitting

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Still think this is likely Bama's best D ever, if not second best to 2011. Just unreal across the board.
Not taking anything away from either team, but if you could marry 2011's linebackers with 92's D-line and secondary, I don't think there would have been a team that could have scored on it.
I think 10 of the 11 starters on the 92 defense played in the NFL; if not 10, the number was way up there. Junior LB Michael Rogers was probably the best player on that defense and had "NFL written all over him" before his car accident; he never fully recovered from that.

Just to keep Mr. Ventre in our history :)
---------------------------------------------------
Michael VentreJan. 1, 1993

NEW ORLEANS -- Miami is No. 1. It will stay that way.Alabama doesn't have a hope, or a prayer, or a shot in the dark of upsetting the Hurricanes for the national championship in tonight's Sugar Bowl. And it won't even be close. Alabama will be trounced, clobbered, mauled, devastated, humiliated and left for dead. The Crimson Tide will not roll, not even a little bit. Tonight you will experience low Tide. Probably even ebb Tide. You wouldn't even have to hike up your pant legs to wade in what be left of this Tide after the Hurricanes pass through. Here are the reasons why:....
Was this article written as being legit or was it written as a spoof? There is so much "goof" in it that it makes me wonder if it was written as a joke.

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK
Miami was not prepared for how physical the Tide defense was. Bottom line. As Bob Griese pointed out after Teague’s interception, Alabama’s defensive backs were man handling Miami’s receivers and they weren’t used to being treated like that. Miami had not seen a defense that fast or that physical all season. That ‘92 defense will forever be my personal favorite.
I ran into Langham at the Wisconsin game in Dallas. That probably was more exciting to me than the Wisconsin game. Super friendly guy.

Last edited:

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I think 10 of the 11 starters on the 92 defense played in the NFL; if not 10, the number was way up there. Junior LB Michael Rogers was probably the best player on that defense and had "NFL written all over him" before his car accident; he never fully recovered from that.

Was this article written as being legit or was it written as a spoof? There is so much "goof" in it that it makes me wonder if it was written as a joke.
Maybe a little of both. Nobody was giving Bama any chance. I heard from several Miami and FSU fans that we had NO BUSINESS being in that game. They were almost insulted they had to play us because they believed we were so beneath them.

And by the way, the linebackers were really really good, but I just think 2011 was just a slight notch above.

Last edited:

Bamagradandmom

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 26, 2017
I remember every minute of that game, it was 4 years since I graduated, living back here in ATL, me and roommates, mostly GA fans, ALL pulling for Bama.

That was a time when we were the good guys and everyone hated Miami.

I just remember all the media not giving us a chance and we came out and "made their ..... quit"! Loved it!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Miami was not prepared for how physical the Tide defense was. Bottom line. As Bob Griese pointed out after Teague’s interception, Alabama’s defensive backs were man handling Miami’s receivers and they weren’t used to being treated like that. Miami had not seen a defense that fast or that physical all season. That ‘92 defense will forever be my personal favorite.
I ran into Langham at the Wisconsin game in Dallas. That probably was more exciting to me than the Wisconsin game. Super friendly guy.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I watched the game again last night for the first time in many years. While George Teague made a bunch of big plays in the 2nd half which we all remember (and Daniel Moore immortalized), I forgot how many big plays CB Tommy Johnson made in the 1st half. I still give the '11 defense a slight edge over the '92 defense but it was amazing to watch how confounded they made Toretta/Miami look.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Torretta, wasn’t hungover, he just didn’t know what to do when he saw all 11 players on defense stack the line...it was hilarious to see him lost and “shell shocked” by that mighty Bama D!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought I remembered reading an interview with Geno that he didn't really remember the second half. The thinking was at the time that he might have suffered a brain scrambling courtesy of Curry and Copeland. They hit him frequently and with great vigor!

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I have so many great memories from this game. I remember exactly where I was sitting and who I watched it with...

I remember Palmer busting off a big Punt return in the early goings... Derrick Lassic just running wild through HUGE holes and just gashing their defense. I think on his 1st TD or almost TD he spun the ball and got flagged and we had to do it over and the Sherman scored and gave 'em the 'Sherman Shake'...

Then on Lassic's 1st score that stood he did the Fred Sanford 'I'm comin' Elizabeth' heart attack in the endzone!!!....and on his last TD he did a Cartwheel!!! hahahahahaha

Of course everyone's main memories are Teague high-stepping the Pick 6 into the Endzone and running down Lamar and taking the ball away.

But I just had to give Lassic some love....his had a GREAT game and was pretty much our entire Offense that night.

What a great game....they talked so much trash and we just beat the brakes off of them. Oh and I still think their PR guy stepped OOB on their lone TD too.... Their powerhouse offense really only score 2 measy FG's

That 1992 Alabama Defense is still imho the Greatest Ever. People just think we are conservative on Offense now....those 1992 games were heart attack LOW SCORING white knucklers every week and the Defense never broke.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I have so many great memories from this game. I remember exactly where I was sitting and who I watched it with...

I remember Palmer busting off a big Punt return in the early goings... Derrick Lassic just running wild through HUGE holes and just gashing their defense. I think on his 1st TD or almost TD he spun the ball and got flagged and we had to do it over and the Sherman scored and gave 'em the 'Sherman Shake'...

Then on Lassic's 1st score that stood he did the Fred Sanford 'I'm comin' Elizabeth' heart attack in the endzone!!!....and on his last TD he did a Cartwheel!!! hahahahahaha

Of course everyone's main memories are Teague high-stepping the Pick 6 into the Endzone and running down Lamar and taking the ball away.

But I just had to give Lassic some love....his had a GREAT game and was pretty much our entire Offense that night.

What a great game....they talked so much trash and we just beat the brakes off of them. Oh and I still think their PR guy stepped OOB on their lone TD too.... Their powerhouse offense really only score 2 measy FG's

That 1992 Alabama Defense is still imho the Greatest Ever. People just think we are conservative on Offense now....those 1992 games were heart attack LOW SCORING white knucklers every week and the Defense never broke.
It was eye opening to see how our backs (lassic) got 20 carries in the first half alone. Time has certainly changed . It's rare to have many backs get 20 carries a game now. Offenses have come a long way

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I thought I remembered reading an interview with Geno that he didn't really remember the second half. The thinking was at the time that he might have suffered a brain scrambling courtesy of Curry and Copeland. They hit him frequently and with great vigor!
The two ends of Pain!!! Curry and Copeland, that whole Bama D was nasty nasty! The best IMO of the time, Too many greats even today to name one team the GOAT! #BamaProblems.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
You think what Ventre wrote was garbage, I lived in Miami Beach back then, and the Herald and Sun Sentinel were basically house organs for the U, with columnists almost as obnoxious as the Canes. I watched the game with my family in Prattville, then hurried back to Miami the next day to read the Jan 2 edition of the Herald my friend bought for me. Reading the disbelieving and shell-shocked coverage in that paper was almost as enjoyable as the game itself. I've still got that paper, with a cover photo of a demoralized Torretta sitting on his can on the field, in storage somewhere.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.