Levi Wallace Proved Stars Don't Mean A Thing

TUSKaloosa

3rd Team
Aug 18, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Levi Wallace and Anthony Averett did a fine job this year and both seemed to get better as the year progressed. Averett also made some critical plays in adapting to his new blitz role rushing the QB in the NCG. So proud of both of those guys. And if Marlon H, was a 5 star, then Wallace should have been a 10 star. Marlon was always good for a 15 yard penalty seems like at the most crucial part of the game, not that there is ever a good time for a 15 yarder. Rarely turned around and found the ball as he got beat a lot. I jokingly said whoever talked him into leaving early for the draft was one of the best coaching jobs that year. Not hating on Marlon and wish him the best but just emphasizing how much better we are in pass defense with Wallace and Averett. :biga:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/alabama/2017.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/alabama/2016.html

There's a pretty good look statistically. I have no idea how it lays out because I'm being lazy on my phone, but to throw out recruiting rankings over two players across an 11 man defense is a little short sighted.

https://247sports.com/Player/Anthony-Averett-18677

Averett was a four star coming out of high school so the services didn't really miss out on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I hear what your saying, but Levi is the exception, not the rule.
We wouldn't win championships if we were depending on walk on talent to sometimes surprise and develop into a good player.
All those 4 and 5 stars is why we've had such a big run of sucess, along with Saban's coaching of course.

Those 5 stars and high level recruits mean something to me.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Wallace didn't prove stars don't mean a thing. He did prove that with hard work and determination (and talent) it's not impossible for a walk-on to become a star player on a national championship team.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Wallace didn't prove stars don't mean a thing. He did prove that with hard work and determination (and talent) it's not impossible for a walk-on to become a star player on a national championship team.
Levi Wallace Proved Stars don't necessarily mean a thing. Overall you generally want more higher ranked players. But any specific individual 5 star may perform like a 2 star and any individual 2 star may perform like a 5 star. That's why it's not necessarily right to criticize a coaching staff when a 5 star doesn't seem to be performing as such. It might be the staff's fault or it may be that he was a 3 star talent to begin with. In summary the recruiting services get many wrong, though more right.

Marlon Humphrey is looking like a star in Baltimore. Wallace will have trouble making it in the NFL because he lacks the necessary speed. His technique, toughness and moxie were enough in college - I don't see how he can make it in the NFL. He did a wonderful job for Bama this year.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Levi Wallace and Anthony Averett did a fine job this year and both seemed to get better as the year progressed. Averett also made some critical plays in adapting to his new blitz role rushing the QB in the NCG. So proud of both of those guys. And if Marlon H, was a 5 star, then Wallace should have been a 10 star. Marlon was always good for a 15 yard penalty seems like at the most crucial part of the game, not that there is ever a good time for a 15 yarder. Rarely turned around and found the ball as he got beat a lot. I jokingly said whoever talked him into leaving early for the draft was one of the best coaching jobs that year. Not hating on Marlon and wish him the best but just emphasizing how much better we are in pass defense with Wallace and Averett. :biga:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Marlon had a great rookie season with the Ravens. he made the right choice and is living up to his rating. you have hundreds of 3 star prospects and lower. Of course some are going to end up being great players. Such a large pool.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
These guys were stellar this year, and Averett was your best CB last year out of nowhere.

As for star ratings - I see Wallace as a player who simply developed late. He almost certainly deserved his star rating out of HS, but he continued to develop mentally and physically through his time at Alabama into the player that we saw this season. IMO, it is Wallace's technique that makes his so good, not his physical talent.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Wallace was fantastic this year. I noticed that he still takes poor angles sometimes on Run Support (see Sony Michel's tip toe run)..... and he still occasionally gets beat on the short routes....but he is a great story, and proof that the process works wonders, if you believe.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What does Marlon have to do with this? I don't get why Marlon has to be cast in a negative light to make whatever point you're trying to make. Just bizarre..

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
No reason at all to bring Marlon in to this in a negative light. He made a lot of really good plays for us and played the technique he was instructed to play. Marlon had a lot of good plays for us non bigger than the onside kick recovery. You simply could have praised Levi with out bashing one of our first round draft picks. You remember on or two plays where he got beat although he was always in position. The guy had a nose for the ball and was never afraid to get in there and lay the wood. There were games where the qb would not look his way, the ultimate sign of respect. The pick six, the fumbles caused and fumbles recovered are all things he did while at Alabama. I am disappointed any one would take a shot at Marlon the son of Bobby who's own son will likely attend Alabama.

the old coach

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 21, 2010
Over the years we have had some great cornerbacks. Levi Wallace stacks right up with the best of them. Gosh, what a great cornerback.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
No predictor of human performance is perfect, stars for recruits included.

But the idea that they don't matter is just not consistent with the facts. The point often comes up when you have a player, like Wallace, who achieves beyond his recruiting ranking.

At an individual level, there are definitely exceptions both ways -- there have been four and five-stars that didn't work out. There have been three-stars and walk-ins who made major contributions or started.

But at a class level, those anamolies tend to wash each other out, and the higher-rated classes are way over-represented in the top tier of polls and playoffs.

I like to use an academic illustration: We all know kids who made 30+ on the ACT and flunked out of college. We also know kids who made in the low to mid 20s and excelled.

But give me a classroom full of 30+ kids, and we'll run circles around a room full of 23s.

The fact that stars aren't perfectly predictive doesn't mean they're irrelevant.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Given the amount of 4-5 stars we've had to play extremely well for us and at the next level, they are the exception not the rule. Proud of them for their efforts and development. The latter requires a huge amount of effort & discipline on a level I cannot fathom. The only of these two which might play in the NFL is Averett.

Also, LOL at that Steve Carrell GIF, Intl.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
No reason at all to bring Marlon in to this in a negative light. He made a lot of really good plays for us and played the technique he was instructed to play. Marlon had a lot of good plays for us non bigger than the onside kick recovery. You simply could have praised Levi with out bashing one of our first round draft picks. You remember on or two plays where he got beat although he was always in position. The guy had a nose for the ball and was never afraid to get in there and lay the wood. There were games where the qb would not look his way, the ultimate sign of respect. The pick six, the fumbles caused and fumbles recovered are all things he did while at Alabama. I am disappointed any one would take a shot at Marlon the son of Bobby who's own son will likely attend Alabama.
And apparently, Ozzie agreed with your assessment. I don't watch much NFL, so I rarely keep track of how all of our guys are doing there, so I don't know how Marlon's career in the league is going. But I thought he was a very good player for us. I was a bit surprised, though, to see him as the first Bama player taken in that year's draft.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Levi Wallace Proved Stars don't necessarily mean a thing. Overall you generally want more higher ranked players. But any specific individual 5 star may perform like a 2 star and any individual 2 star may perform like a 5 star. That's why it's not necessarily right to criticize a coaching staff when a 5 star doesn't seem to be performing as such. It might be the staff's fault or it may be that he was a 3 star talent to begin with. In summary the recruiting services get many wrong, though more right.

Marlon Humphrey is looking like a star in Baltimore. Wallace will have trouble making it in the NFL because he lacks the necessary speed. His technique, toughness and moxie were enough in college - I don't see how he can make it in the NFL. He did a wonderful job for Bama this year.

Or the 5* may not just have the desire. I finally found that out about one highly-rated, out of HS, player who rarely sees the field...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.