Some timeless truths from Martin Luther King Jr.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
April 30th, 1967 Sermon at Ebenezer Baptist Church Atlanta, Georgia\
Why I am Opposed to the Vietnam War

This is the full sermon lasting nearly 43 minutes with Dr. King's original notes. It is as topical today or perhaps more so as when delivered in 1967.

our rector talked about this sermon this past sunday.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Men like King just don’t exist anymore. Now we have idiots like Sharpton and Jackson that do not want racism and bigotry to end because then they wouldn’t have a job. It is sad really. Now we have social media that allows the biggest of racist idiots get more and more attention. The media feds off this stuff. They also do not want any of this to end either. It allows them to paint with a very broad brush. Martin Luther King Jr was a great man and we need more people like him today.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Men like King just don’t exist anymore. Now we have idiots like Sharpton and Jackson that do not want racism and bigotry to end because then they wouldn’t have a job. It is sad really. Now we have social media that allows the biggest of racist idiots get more and more attention. The media feds off this stuff. They also do not want any of this to end either. It allows them to paint with a very broad brush. Martin Luther King Jr was a great man and we need more people like him today.
there are plenty of great men and women like king. they just tend to get ignored when folks use sharpton and jackson to paint black folks with a very broad brush

Last edited:

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
there are plenty of great men and women like king. they just tend to get ignored when folks use sharpton and jackson to paint black folks with a very broad brush
Sharpton and Jackson use themselves to paint black people with a very broad brush. They seem to like to speak for the entire community as if they are the authority on this matter.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Sharpton and Jackson use themselves to paint black people with a very broad brush. They seem to like to speak for the entire community as if they are the authority on this matter.
funny thing is the only time i hear about these "authorities" of blackness in the last several years is from people using them as boogeymen.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
The MSM gave Sharpton and Jackson the forum to claim to be spokesman for the AA community. These clowns made endless appearances on various MSM programs for decades. Haven't seen much of these race pimps lately. Good. Maybe they'll be replaced by people who truly believe in merit and not rewarding or punishing anyone based on skin color (or gender, religion, etc.). Would be nice.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The MSM gave Sharpton and Jackson the forum to claim to be spokesman for the AA community. These clowns made endless appearances on various MSM programs for decades. Haven't seen much of these race pimps lately. Good. Maybe they'll be replaced by people who truly believe in merit and not rewarding or punishing anyone based on skin color (or gender, religion, etc.). Would be nice.
mlk jr. was considered a threat to the nation back in his day and was widely disliked for being too radical, not sure if race pimp was in the lexicon back in those days, but i'm sure there were many similar phrases used. he pushed ideas and concepts not just of racial/social equality, but also of racial/social justice.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
mlk jr. was considered a threat to the nation back in his day and was widely disliked for being too radical, not sure if race pimp was in the lexicon back in those days, but i'm sure there were many similar phrases used. he pushed ideas and concepts not just of racial/social equality, but also of racial/social justice.
MLK, despite some personal shortcomings, was a great man. I cannot say the same for Sharpton and Jackson. I don't think MLK would have ever been involved in a race-baiting Tawana Brawley-type stunt. That incident should have immediately made Sharpton persona non grata with the MSM. It turned out just the opposite; he was one of the go-to guys on racial commentary. For decades. Shame on the MSM.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
MLK, despite some personal shortcomings, was a great man. I cannot say the same for Sharpton and Jackson. I don't think MLK would have ever been involved in a race-baiting Tawana Brawley-type stunt. That incident should have immediately made Sharpton persona non grata with the MSM. It turned out just the opposite; he was one of the go-to guys on racial commentary. For decades. Shame on the MSM.
he was a great man.

regardless, the annual ritual of "mlk jr. was a great man, why can't black leaders/black people today be more like him instead of trying to make everything about race" is pretty silly.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
he was a great man.

regardless, the annual ritual of "mlk jr. was a great man, why can't black leaders/black people today be more like him instead of trying to make everything about race" is pretty silly.
Depends on who is saying it. Some people want judge and be judged based on the content of character; some don't.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
MLK was a leader. No one in the black community has stepped up since his death with anywhere near his leadership skills.
Most are simply trying to advance themselves; most blacks I know down here have nothing for the JJ’s and AS’s of the world.
Actually, they are laughingstocks amongst most locals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
MLK was a leader. No one in the black community has stepped up since his death with anywhere near his leadership skills.
Most are simply trying to advance themselves; most blacks I know down here have nothing for the JJ’s and AS’s of the world.
Actually, they are laughingstocks amongst most locals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
maybe it's time for white leaders to step up and deal with our part of the problem of systemic racism and not put that burden on the folks who suffer from it.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
he was a great man.

This topic has gone off of the tracks for me. I am struggling to understand why there is such a need to criticize any African American who attempts to speak out on racial injustice issues because they lack the historic standing of MLK.

Is John Lewis simply not orator enough or the Obama's not black enough to be considered as responsible representatives of their race? Did Thurgood Marshall not have an adequate judicial record to have represented his race adequately?

Likewise I believe it would be at least equally important to reserve a level of criticism for the very long list of white politicians who have practiced race baiting and maintaining the status quo as their principal appeal to the electorate.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This topic has gone off of the tracks for me. I am struggling to understand why there is such a need to criticize any African American who attempts to speak out on racial injustice issues because they lack the historic standing of MLK.

Is John Lewis simply not orator enough or the Obama's not black enough to be considered as responsible representatives of their race? Did Thurgood Marshall not have an adequate judicial record to have represented his race adequately?

Likewise I believe it would be at least equally important to reserve a level of criticism for the very long list of white politicians who have practiced race baiting and maintaining the status quo as their principal appeal to the electorate.
It’s about veracity and not hype.
I’m no fan of John Lewis either - his 2016 primary campaign comment about not seeing Bernie anywhere around in the Selma March when he was only about 10 feet behind him (its not like Bernie would have stood out in that crowd or anything) told me all I needed to know about him.
Obama threw many of his supporters (all races) under the bus when he got elected; some people haven’t forgiven or forgotten. Although he may have been closest to MLK in terms of oration, he lacked King’s charisma.
None should be criticized for speaking out about racial injustice; by the same token those who speak must retain credibility to be taken seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.