Coaching Turnover

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Re: Coach Turnover

I know the assistant coaches want to make as much money as they can, and also, they are hoping for a head coaching job. However, it is a little
strange that we have so many coaches leave. Three OC coaches in the last 12 months, does it affect recruiting?,I am convinced it does. Lane Kiffin mouthing about Saban being hard to work for is not helping the situation. I do not know if it is related to coaching changes, but, we were #5 in recruiting, and suddenly we are #9, makes one wonder.
Every year we lose coaches. We are one of the, if not the top team in America. Teams want our coaches hoping to emulate our success. (Note... It usually doesn't work as well as their teams would hope) Teams hire our coaches for their Recruiting prowess. If we are #5, or #9 and we fill our needs, it's up to our coaches to develop the players. We do a pretty good job of that.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

I saw the title to this thread and I was thinking, "I do not know who this 'Coach Turnover' is, but I do not want him as my offensive coordinator."
Probably wouldn't be too bad if Coach Turnover was a defensive coordinator. But yeah an OC named Coach Turnover is someone to avoid. I don't care how good he is.

Rick2017

Jan 22, 2017

I saw the title to this thread and I was thinking, "I do not know who this 'Coach Turnover' is, but I do not want him as my offensive coordinator."
I am surprised you do not know who Coach Turnover is, you seem to know everything else.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Every year we lose coaches. We are one of the, if not the top team in America. Teams want our coaches hoping to emulate our success. (Note... It usually doesn't work as well as their teams would hope) Teams hire our coaches for their Recruiting prowess. If we are #5, or #9 and we fill our needs, it's up to our coaches to develop the players. We do a pretty good job of that.
C'mon man, you know better than that :). Bama/Saban are far, far above number 2. But your humility is refreshing.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Exactly. It's not like these are bad fits who didn't work out, most if not all got promotions. That won't hurt recruiting at all because that means you are WINNING!
That was my thought, when they leave it's usually on to a better job made possible by the time spent on the Bama staff.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

There's two ways of looking at this.

One is that Saban runs coaches off. To use Daboll as an example, perhaps Daboll wasn't happy and didn't like getting chewed out. That's possible. Then again, it wasn't the first time he worked for Saban so he had to know what he was in for.

But, it is hard to avoid the fact that no one was offering Daboll a job as offensive coordinator until Saban did it. So, the real reason he's gone is being a coordinator at Alabama improved his resume. That part is unavoidable with the success Nick Saban has had. He makes everyone look better...

At the end of the day, we want Saban to make his coordinators look better than they really are, that means things are going well. So, they'll end up leaving on a regular basis. Not sure there's a way to avoid that.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007

I look at it as Coach has hired some seasoned, high quality OCs lately. Aside from the inaugural season with Coach, all of them have had upward mobility (except Nuss, who I believe coach definitely encouraged to leave).

The 2 defensive coordinators clearly left for better opportunities as Head coaches for traditional power SEC programs. I do believe it can be difficult to be an OC for Coach Saban, but he seems to be handling that turnover well. It may affect recruiting, but not enough to affect the Tide from rolling clearly.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

It's just an odd quirk but in this thread, when the title is repeated at the top of each post, for some reason it repeats the opening title, re: Coaching Turnover , on some of the responses, then it changes to re: Coach Turnover.

Coaching Turnover suggests someone is coaching Mr. Turnover, while Coach Turnover suggests Mr. Turnover is a coach. Just trying to clarify things here. :)

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

There's two ways of looking at this.

One is that Saban runs coaches off. To use Daboll as an example, perhaps Daboll wasn't happy and didn't like getting chewed out. That's possible. Then again, it wasn't the first time he worked for Saban so he had to know what he was in for.

But, it is hard to avoid the fact that no one was offering Daboll a job as offensive coordinator until Saban did it. So, the real reason he's gone is being a coordinator at Alabama improved his resume. That part is unavoidable with the success Nick Saban has had. He makes everyone look better...

At the end of the day, we want Saban to make his coordinators look better than they really are, that means things are going well. So, they'll end up leaving on a regular basis. Not sure there's a way to avoid that.[/QUOTE]

There really isn`t. It`s the "bane" of most any successful organization. The people you wouldn`t mind seeing leave, you can`t blow them out with a stick of dynamite. The good ones are noticed and often get poached. Any good organization that`s properly led and morally on course, IMHO, does what it can to prepare its "stars" to do better in life, both personally and professionally.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

As long as Saban holds on to Cochran, the rest will fall into place. Cochran doesn't get enough credit for Alabama's success, IMO.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn

However, I do not think the TURNOVER was this great. I think I read an article about Coach Bryant in the late 1950's or early 1960's about: the Coach who Coaches the Coaches. And he did have a tree with lots of limbs and leaves.
No the turnover in coaches was not like it is now. Many of the coaches Bryant had retired at Bama. He hired coaches every now and then, but Saban will have had 3 OC in as many years. Also a DC this year. Not to mention the assistants who hit the road. Never seen anything like this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.