Poll: Greatest Alabama Playoffs Play

What is the greatest play in Alabama CFP history?

• Daron Payne INT + TD Rec vs Clemson 2018 Semifinals

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Mack Williams INT for TD vs Clemson 2018 Semifinals

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Kenyan Drake Kickoff Return for TD vs Clemson 2016 Title Game

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Jalen Hurts' TD run to take the lead vs Clemson 2017 Title Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adam Griffin's onside kick vs Clemson 2016 Title Game

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Tua Tagovailoa TD pass vs Georgia in OT, 2018 Title Game

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Other - specify

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Re: Greatest Alabama CFB Play

The Goalline stand - 79 Championship game vs Penn. St.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Anyone thinking it's anything OTHER than the Tua pass needs their head checked.

Alabama was *already* leading when Drake returned the kickoff for a TD.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Agree... this is as easy a choice as the poll for 'Would you Rather win a NC or Beat AU'...lol.

All the other plays are great plays for sure. But none of them were outright 'Game Winners'. They may have put us in a position to win or may have swung momentum or maybe this and maybe that....

TUA's play flat WON the National Championship.... via Walkoff Dagger like a stake straight through Dracula's Heart.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

I have Tua's pass #1 because it won, (and ended), the game. I have Kenyan Drake's kickoff return second because, if I remember, it gave us a two score lead in what had been a back and forth game. All of the other plays were also great plays.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Not only was the Tua/Devonta play so big because of the reasons already mentioned, especially for turning a loss into a NC, but for more significant ramifications. I posted the bulk of the following in another thread last week, but have become even more convinced since. IMO, it is one of the most significant plays in Bama's history, simultaneously affecting both its history and future.

• It closed the book on whether this is the greatest run in college football history. Bama had a great case before, now it is indisputable.
  • It closed the book on whether Nick Saban is the greatest coach of all time. He had a great case before, now it is indisputable.
  • It removed the sense, that with all of her success under Saban, Bama had underachieved a bit. The narrative would have been only 1 NC in the last 5 years and counting, rather than having won 2 of the last 3 and being the defending champs.
  • It stomped on the narrative,
    with a hob-nailed boot,
    that UGA had supplanted Bama as the SEC and possibly national king.
  • It shut the door on the direction of the program's offense and its leader. The value of this can't be overstated. If this had not happened, the light and airy feeling that coaches, players and fans now are feeling would be replaced with the disappointment of wasting another NC opportunity, of wasting current offensive talent, of losing future offensive talent, and ultimately losing defensive talent because of a tangible decline in the program. This program will now have a spring in its step, rather than a 500 lb weight on its back. Coach Saban has spoken of wasting opportunities, this win and this type of win, produced the happiest athletic moment in his life. He knew what it meant, not only for this team, but for the future. It was obvious to all, and his joy and relief reflected that of the entire program. Now the program is poised to win even more NCs, whereas, this could have been the end. It has ushered in a lighter, more fun Bama, the nation seeing how clutch Bama is and that her players are not automations, but players with great desire. Alabama will be more fun to watch - and yes it does matter.
  • IMO, it revitalized CNS's career. It was beginning to become more of a burden and he felt it. Who knows what another loss, another chance by the boards, would have done to his outlook. Whether consciously or subconsciously, IMO, that was a great source of the relief and joy he felt after the game - a play that created "the happiest moment of my life".

I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that any other play in modern history compares to it. And I was a little boy and remember when Coach Bryant returned in 1958.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
Why has no one come up with JAllen's response to the question of 38-0 and that no one does that in the CFB playoff... "ALABAMA DOES"... ;-)

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN

True, Tua Bomb is #1 without question. But Kenyan is the next up IMO because midway thru the 4th qtr, the game was still back and forth, very much in doubt, and without his return, we wouldn't have won. Also, the reason the Drake TD is #2 for me is that I was so happy for him at that moment, maybe more so than I've been for a single player on a single play as long as I've been watching football. Considering all he went thru in his 4 years at Bama: in and out of the doghouse and the injuries, including breaking his arm less than two months before that KO return, his reaction as he looked over and saw the refs arm in the air was one of pure relief. After all of the pain and waiting behind guys like Eddie Lacy, TJ Yeldon, & Derrick Henry, he finally had HIS moment. I still tear up every time I see him lunge for that pylon and collapse under the weight of his teammates and the SI cover of him running down the sideline is still my computer wallpaper.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Great post...both times!!! :)
Not only was the Tua/Devonta play so big because of the reasons already mentioned, especially for turning a loss into a NC, but for more significant ramifications. I posted the bulk of the following in another thread last week, but have become even more convinced since. IMO, it is one of the most significant plays in Bama's history, simultaneously affecting both its history and future.

• It closed the book on whether this is the greatest run in college football history. Bama had a great case before, now it is indisputable.
  • It closed the book on whether Nick Saban is the greatest coach of all time. He had a great case before, now it is indisputable.
  • It removed the sense, that with all of her success under Saban, Bama had underachieved a bit. The narrative would have been only 1 NC in the last 5 years and counting, rather than having won 2 of the last 3 and being the defending champs.
  • It stomped on the narrative,
    with a hob-nailed boot,
    that UGA had supplanted Bama as the SEC and possibly national king.
  • It shut the door on the direction of the program's offense and its leader. The value of this can't be overstated. If this had not happened, the light and airy feeling that coaches, players and fans now are feeling would be replaced with the disappointment of wasting another NC opportunity, of wasting current offensive talent, of losing future offensive talent, and ultimately losing defensive talent because of a tangible decline in the program. This program will now have a spring in its step, rather than a 500 lb weight on its back. Coach Saban has spoken of wasting opportunities, this win and this type of win, produced the happiest athletic moment in his life. He knew what it meant, not only for this team, but for the future. It was obvious to all, and his joy and relief reflected that of the entire program. Now the program is poised to win even more NCs, whereas, this could have been the end. It has ushered in a lighter, more fun Bama, the nation seeing how clutch Bama is and that her players are not automations, but players with great desire. Alabama will be more fun to watch - and yes it does matter.
  • IMO, it revitalized CNS's career. It was beginning to become more of a burden and he felt it. Who knows what another loss, another chance by the boards, would have done to his outlook. Whether consciously or subconsciously, IMO, that was a great source of the relief and joy he felt after the game - a play that created "the happiest moment of my life".

I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that any other play in modern history compares to it. And I was a little boy and remember when Coach Bryant returned in 1958.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017

Of course Tua to Smith is no. 1. But the game that had the most big plays was the first Clemson game. That game had more 4th quarter big plays by both sides than any other Bama game I can think of. No other Bama playoff game comes close, unless you count the 2012 SEC championship game as a de facto playoff game. OJ Howard had three by himself, then there was the onside kick, Drake's kickoff return, and Coker's keeper to get the first and goal that iced it. Deshaun Watson had several just as clutch for Clemson.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005

This would be more interesting if people had a way to rank them, because Tua will get all of the votes.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

I will take Kenyan Drake return and I think with a little time off to let things settle from this past game that alot of people will change their minds to that. Though maybe I'm a little biased.

tidegrandpa

All-American

Check when Jake hit Stewart on third down in first Clemson game, pretty clutch. Kinda of a Hail Mary Stewart hauled in.
Here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzImVX9WXYs

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Tua pass at least for the moment. But the most exciting? Has to be Drake's return. For me, that was the equivalent of a baseball team in the 7th game of the World Series and one of your fastest players hits a 3 run inside the park homerun to almost put the game away in the 7th inning.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Tua pass at least for the moment. But the most exciting? Has to be Drake's return. For me, that was the equivalent of a baseball team in the 7th game of the World Series and one of your fastest players hits a 3 run inside the park homerun to almost put the game away in the 7th inning.
That is a good analogy to the Drake run.

Using the same platform - Tua's pass was a 2 run homer with Alabama trailing by 1 in the bottom of the 10th inning and 2 men out.

Win or go home. This is what football is all about.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

That is a good analogy to the Drake run.

Using the same platform - Tua's pass was a 2 run homer with Alabama trailing by 1 in the bottom of the 10th inning and 2 men out.

Win or go home. This is what football is all about.
at least uga had a short drive and were.familiar with the route since they drove back and forth for practice everyday

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.