Did US soldier shoot an Afghan truck driver?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah but it's just a Trumphole country so who cares if they're treated as subhuman?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It should not be difficult for investigators to ID the location and then the shooter.
It doesn't look good.
I've seen similar things.
And not all Special Operations Forces are Special Forces (commonly called Green Berets).
Special Operations Forces (SOF) in the US includes Rangers, SEALs, as well as Civil Affairs, PSYOPs, Special Operations Aviation and even Special Operations communications and maintenance/supply units.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah but it's just a Trumphole country so who cares if they're treated as subhuman?
Where is all of this love for other countries coming from? During the Rio Olympics, people here were calling Brasil a hellhole, cesspool, disaster, backwards...and nobody except for me seemed to have a problem with it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Can't explain the window shattering, but I didn't see any form of a muzzle blast, or any recoil from the weapon.
From the article:
The soldier who spoke to The Times said the round that was fired was “less than lethal.” An apparent lack of recoil or a discharged cartridge suggests that the shotgun may have fired a bean bag or rubber bullet. These can be lethal when fired at close range.
Sometimes, soldiers (and police for that matter) are issued bean-bag rounds for shotguns. They hurt if you get hit by one, but are generally not lethal.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
thx, i was wondering the same thing myself
Of course, if true that leads to the next question, why was a soldier carrying a non-lethal round in a shotgun in Afghanistan? Normally those rounds are issued when you are expecting trouble from people you want to control/deter but do not want to kill.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Something tells me that dude is about to catch all kinds of hell from his CO and others.
Well, he ought to get a lot of pointed questions, at the very least.
If the victim was not permanently injured, the shooter ought to have to apologize and he ought to receive a new window for his truck, coverage of any medical expenses, and some financial indemnity.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
From the article:

Sometimes, soldiers (and police for that matter) are issued bean-bag rounds for shotguns. They hurt if you get hit by one, but are generally not lethal.
I've never been around one but from what I've read in this article and elsewhere is that the shell is not ejected automatically when fired too weak for recoil or not enough gas I guess.

I wonder if the person who fired it thought it would bounce off of the window instead of busting it and possibly entering the cab.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've never been around one but from what I've read in this article and elsewhere is that the shell is not ejected automatically when fired too weak for recoil or not enough gas I guess.

I wonder if the person who fired it thought it would bounce off of the window instead of busting it and possibly entering the cab.
Never underestimate the ability of soldiers to do the "what were you thinking?" act.
A parachute detail for the Ranger Regiment had collected a bunch of deployed parachutes on a drop zone after a jump. They had parachutes and an Army pickup truck (an M880 Dodge truck, I believe). One of them suggested someone put on a parachute harness, they attach a rope to the guy and pull him with the pickup truck, like they do with a boat at Panama City Beach. It worked, for a while.
They did not realize that once the truck stops going forward, the person in the harness does not float harmlessly down to earth. The chute collapses and the guy in the harness plummets to the ground. In this case fatally.

And then they had their "What were you thinking?" interview.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Of course, if true that leads to the next question, why was a soldier carrying a non-lethal round in a shotgun in Afghanistan? Normally those rounds are issued when you are expecting trouble from people you want to control/deter but do not want to kill.
Well our current MO in Afghanistan is, "stay low, let the afghans deal with it unless they really, really mess it up". Not a whole lot of fight seeking going on. I'd imagine the gunner was assigned the shotgun for potential "crowd control" reasons where you don't want to smoke somebody with the 240, like kids throwing bricks at the gunner, or maybe a truck driver driving like a lunatic alongside and endangering your truck. Then again, they aren't the best or most rule-abiding drivers in the world, so...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.