Daboll frustrated - Wanted to start Tua in November

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
What I don't want us to do, as fans (and most having little to no real info as to what's happening on the inside), is to take articles like these that are written with a bias and perspective that I guarantee is spun to make one or another look good/bad and assume it's the only "truth."

What I've gathered is that yes, Daboll and others, including players, were somewhat frustrated that Jalen was starting and Tua wasn't getting to play as much as they would have liked, that Jalen struggled to stay in the pocket and avoid sacks, that Jalen wasn't as accurate as Tua, etc. etc.

What that narrative fails to consider is that Jalen "just won, baby." There's a premium on winning. Most don't do it consistently. Changing QBs in the middle of a successful season - even one where maybe others yank the chain earlier - doesn't seem to be very smart. Kind of like firing a 14-3 NFL head coach because he lost the first round of the playoffs then going 3-14 the next year becuase the new coach was not nearly as good as the old coach.

No, better to see go with what brought you to the pinnacle. WR are drama queens. We know that. Assistant coaches always "know better" than the HC. Fans want the backup QB - no matter the pedigree.

For fans, it's all part of how we view and participate in the sport. Nothing wrong with advocating. A lot wrong with presuming.

Anyway, I don't care who starts at QB in the spring or in the Fall. for the past 8 years, I've trusted in the wisdom that Nick Saban exhibits - even when I might disagree, I trust. This is no different. He's earned it to the point where there is no debate as to whether HE knows what to do and will pull the trigger and do it.

I don't spend a minute of my time worrying about it or the stupid drama that ESPN and the talking sports heads want to inject into our program. Coach can handle whatever "issues" present themselves.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
What I don't want us to do, as fans (and most having little to no real info as to what's happening on the inside), is to take articles like these that are written with a bias and perspective that I guarantee is spun to make one or another look good/bad and assume it's the only "truth."

What I've gathered is that yes, Daboll and others, including players, were somewhat frustrated that Jalen was starting and Tua wasn't getting to play as much as they would have liked, that Jalen struggled to stay in the pocket and avoid sacks, that Jalen wasn't as accurate as Tua, etc. etc.

What that narrative fails to consider is that Jalen "just won, baby." There's a premium on winning. Most don't do it consistently. Changing QBs in the middle of a successful season - even one where maybe others yank the chain earlier - doesn't seem to be very smart. Kind of like firing a 14-3 NFL head coach because he lost the first round of the playoffs then going 3-14 the next year becuase the new coach was not nearly as good as the old coach.

No, better to see go with what brought you to the pinnacle. WR are drama queens. We know that. Assistant coaches always "know better" than the HC. Fans want the backup QB - no matter the pedigree.

For fans, it's all part of how we view and participate in the sport. Nothing wrong with advocating. A lot wrong with presuming.

Anyway, I don't care who starts at QB in the spring or in the Fall. for the past 8 years, I've trusted in the wisdom that Nick Saban exhibits - even when I might disagree, I trust. This is no different. He's earned it to the point where there is no debate as to whether HE knows what to do and will pull the trigger and do it.

I don't spend a minute of my time worrying about it or the stupid drama that ESPN and the talking sports heads want to inject into our program. Coach can handle whatever "issues" present themselves.
This is where that "Roll Tide" option would come in handy. ;)

Last edited:

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
The thing for me is Jalen is a proven. He's not going to turn the ball over much. But the potential for explosive plays pretty much lives and dies with the running game. The threat of many, if any, downfield home runs are limited.

With Tua, he's going to make more mistakes. Now we don't technically know this, but odds are he makes more mistakes than Jalen. But the possibility of explosive plays in the passing game is back. And CNS talks about explosive plays a lot and how we need to have X many per half, per game, etc.

I just think Tua has the edge in this. Or, maybe they both play. Would be interesting to see both and have packages that can make both - and the team - successful.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The thing for me is Jalen is a proven. He's not going to turn the ball over much. But the potential for explosive plays pretty much lives and dies with the running game. The threat of many, if any, downfield home runs are limited.

With Tua, he's going to make more mistakes. Now we don't technically know this, but odds are he makes more mistakes than Jalen. But the possibility of explosive plays in the passing game is back. And CNS talks about explosive plays a lot and how we need to have X many per half, per game, etc.

I just think Tua has the edge in this. Or, maybe they both play. Would be interesting to see both and have packages that can make both - and the team - successful.
Just as importantly, the running game should open up noticeably. And not just explosive pass plays, but the midrange game too. It just kinda frees up the entire offense. 16 first downs in the second half against an overrated, but good UGA defense.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wonder if he called passing plays in the fourth quarter against Clemson to expose his weakness to Saban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

YES! Yes! Yes! This should be a sticky thread... This is perfect! Love it.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
Daboll frustrated... I have yet to meet an assistant coach who secretly or openly thought he knew more than the Head Coach. Yes I trust Daboll’s judgement so much more than CNS ( btw where is the blue font and how do I use it). There is a reason Daboll was not the play caller at NE and why His Pro record as a play caller has been so abysmal. Daboll is a career second guy who doesn’t have to make the tough calls and shoulder the responsibility. He can hide behind the HC and say “if only I were king” personally if I have any criticism of CNS is why he hired this kid in the first place. Daboll frustrated... well at least he understands how I felt on second and short or third and short as to why he was calling pass plays. Daboll frustrated ... we just won a National Title with the greatest College Head Coach ...ever and Daboll is frustrated WOW

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.