Daboll frustrated - Wanted to start Tua in November

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I thought that his name being floated for a return to New England seemed like something an agent would do to smoke signal to NFL franchises to call him. It doesn't surprise me that the rumor before the season was finished never actually happened but the equivelent result did. He probably was good as gone after the Iron Bowl but he's a professional who finishes the job.

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
I don't know all the inner workings of the locker room but it would take a blind fool to see that the team was getting rather frustrated once we hit the tougher teams. Whether it be the play calling, the lack of execution by the qb or a little of both it just wasn't meshing and it was affecting the team.
You'd be crazy to think that the team didn't flip a switch and play a lot better in the second half with Tua in than in the first half with Jalen in.
Don't get me wrong, I love Jalen as a person and a leader but in my opinion we HAD to have that change because if not then UGA would likely be celebrating instead of us.
Now, as far as all the transfer talk, who knows. Like someone else posted earlier, Tua knew who was here when he signed with us.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The body language of players on the sidelines during games told me there was trouble in the locker room. I didn't specifically know what, my thought was the players (D Harris and Bo Scarborough) were upset at their lack of carries from game to game. As the season wore on and some inside info began to leak. I started hearing it was frustration of who was starting at QB and who wasn't. Saban has shown he's willing to adapt and change. My hope is he learned a lot from what transpired this past season and will apply it going forward.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I don't think Daboll's playcalling every really did Hurts any favors. Starting from early on in the season I started asking about it. .
Were his play calls much different than what he called for Tua? Not talking about excecutionbut the call itself. I think Jalen had many of the same opportunities with the same receivers Tua was lighting up. Jalen is just more conservative (for whatever reason) about letting the ball fly. Just my impression though.

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
Don't know if any of its true or not, maybe a little of it? Wish Daboll success in NFL. Regardless, I sincerely hope that there is a major effort between both Jalen and Tua to compete this spring AND a clear decisive leader emerges. IF not, then I expect CNS to set expectations and tell everyone he will experiment with a two QB system. I respect Jalen with regards to his record and game management abilities, I am more than excited with the caliber QB that Tua is. Tua's passing not only utilizes our great receivers but opens up the run game which I think is past due. And I believe Tua extends drives which gives our awesome defense time to rest when needed. RTR

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Whether true or not, I’d really rather this whole “so and so wanted Tua to start” not turn into a program divider. The kid came in for the second half, he threw the ball over them mountains, we won State, and we have solidified a QB moving forward. Just seems a bit, idk, unproductive. We won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Were his play calls much different than what he called for Tua? Not talking about excecutionbut the call itself. I think Jalen had many of the same opportunities with the same receivers Tua was lighting up. Jalen is just more conservative (for whatever reason) about letting the ball fly.
That's what I'm getting at though. He basically had the same offense, the same things he wanted to do. I would hope a good college coordinator is going to tailor what he is doing for the players on the field (whose abilities might vary greatly). The idea that he wanted another guy playing QB makes it more ominous to me. It's one reason I said a change had to be made at halftime, because Daboll clearly wasn't going to call different plays, and what he was calling clearly wasn't working.

So we get to the second half, Tua is in, viola the offense works. But that doesn't excuse the playcalling in the first half when the quarterback was a different guy. The team was still 3-14 on third downs, they still lost time of possession, it was less yards and less points than they put up the previous championship game (with Hurts playing the entire game and the game ended in regulation). It was not a masterful performance overall and the way Daboll is departing reinforces my concerns about him. I worried all along he was just a pro guy that was somewhat limited in what he could do, and his leaving does nothing to change my mind on that. I was open to the idea of his staying since yes, now he has his guy at QB, but still not enough for him.

To be clear though, I am happy with the idea of Tua starting at QB. But, I'd be lying if I said I was completely happy with how things played out.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Some of it is coming from Kiffin and his big flappers.
No not really. Kiffin is mostly telling the truth that Mac and Nuss wouldn’t. CNS isn’t an easy person to work with. The reason Mac and Nuss haven’t came out with stories is because they were never on the sidelines getting publically berated by CNS because they were in the press box. But you can bet coaches meetingings and through the headsets they were.

I’ve talked to several people in that seem to know stuff and they all have said there was tension between Daboll and CNS over the qb situation and Tua was thinking of transferring if he didn’t get to play. Kiffin isn’t the only one stating the latter, Phil Savage said as much on the Roundtable after the game.

Last edited:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
All true.

There may be some truth in the article but not all of it is true. The article states that lane kiffin was involved and instrumental in recruiting Tua to Bama. That is not true. When kiffin was fired, Tua was asked how that would effect his commitment to Bama he said none at all because he did not even know kiffin. He stated that he had only spoken to kiffin once while he was on a visit to Bama. So if you know that some of it is false, maybe you should not accept the rest of it so quickly.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Whoever Saban hires, he ought to not dress them down so publicly in the future.

Perhaps the next hire can work from the press box, so the butt chewings are not so public?

CNS is not going to change after all these years. Well as I say that I have to admit he has changed a lot since he’s been at Alabama.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
There may be some truth in the article but not all of it is true. The article states that lane kiffin was involved and instrumental in recruiting Tua to Bama. That is not true. When kiffin was fired, Tua was asked how that would effect his commitment to Bama he said none at all because he did not even know kiffin. He stated that he had only spoken to kiffin once while he was on a visit to Bama. So if you know that some of it is false, maybe you should not accept the rest of it so quickly.
Nope.

Kpro

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 5, 2018
I don't see anywhere in that article where it says he wanted to start Tua, wanted to play Tua is accurate and a big difference. Anyway it worked out and got #17.
I apologize to the members and the admins... I got ahead of myself. How can I change the thread title?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I don't know if Daboll was frustrated or not and now it is a moot point, he is gone. The only thing I know for sure, and this is strictly my opinion, when something or somebody is not producing the desired results you have two choices, continue on or make a change. If a pitcher is getting bombed, the manager goes to the bull pen in hopes that the reliever can stop the bleeding. In football the extreme of bringing in a reliever would be SOS who at one time substituted QBs on every play. I think we would all agree that is over the top. But to change QBs if the starter is struggling is a judgement call that a coach has to make at some point not only to see if a win can be preserved but for the sake of the team's morale. I certainly do not question CNS's decisions but at some point reality has to take precedence over loyalty.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This concerns me over the next hire. Clearly Tua was a better fit for Daboll's offense, yet it took several weak performances before Saban to make the switch.

How does this affect any future OC? With Saban clearly dictating who starts, will OCs be leery of coming here?

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
So we deal with another coordinator one more time. So does this mean we make it to the playoffs again and possibly the College Football Championship? I'm not so worried. Roll Tide to all.:biga:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
That's what I'm getting at though. He basically had the same offense, the same things he wanted to do. I would hope a good college coordinator is going to tailor what he is doing for the players on the field (whose abilities might vary greatly). The idea that he wanted another guy playing QB makes it more ominous to me. It's one reason I said a change had to be made at halftime, because Daboll clearly wasn't going to call different plays, and what he was calling clearly wasn't working.

So we get to the second half, Tua is in, viola the offense works. But that doesn't excuse the playcalling in the first half when the quarterback was a different guy. The team was still 3-14 on third downs, they still lost time of possession, it was less yards and less points than they put up the previous championship game (with Hurts playing the entire game and the game ended in regulation). It was not a masterful performance overall and the way Daboll is departing reinforces my concerns about him. I worried all along he was just a pro guy that was somewhat limited in what he could do, and his leaving does nothing to change my mind on that. I was open to the idea of his staying since yes, now he has his guy at QB, but still not enough for him.

To be clear though, I am happy with the idea of Tua starting at QB. But, I'd be lying if I said I was completely happy with how things played out.
I'm not sure how you can say he called the same game for both QBs. Jalen threw 8 passes, Tua 24. There were other differences. But the bottom line is that Jalen simply was not producing well against good defenses. It hurt the running game as well as the passing game. Some of that could possibly be put at Daboll's feet but most of it at the QB's limitations. What else did you want him to call for Jalen ?

In the 2nd half, Bama put the ball in a true Fr. hands not to manage it, but to win the game by throwing 24 times.
The second half was a great performance - a score or easy FG attempt on 6 of 9 possessions, including 5 of the last 6, and the last 4. Each of the last 4 possessions were critical and full of pressure, and Bama's offense delivered (as did the D). It was not perfect, but it was a remarkable, legendary and program changing performance.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.