Daboll frustrated - Wanted to start Tua in November

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Hurts had a problem down the stretch where he was getting a ton of time in the pocket and/or extended pocket (rollout from the pressure) and still never making a throwing decision other than tossing it out of bounds. He was a bigger threat last year when he made his one read from the pocket, rolled for a quick glance in the secondary passing offense, then tucked it and ran. By doing the right thing and extending the play for a pass but never actually pulling the trigger for a variety of reasons, he actually debilitated our offense. The offensive staff had spent an entire off-season trying to mold him into a machine in the secondary passing offense when the pocket broke down but it just never materialized against meaningful opponents. It probably cost Hurts 200-300 more yards rushing this season and who knows how many extra first downs that kept our injured defense off the field and led to more points.
Agree with this. 100%

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I happen to agree with the alleged sentiment that Daboll had about Tagovailoa by November. We ought to have been playing him. Not starting him, just playing him some to force teams to prepare for more than just stopping our run-based attack centered on the quarterback. I think it would've made Hurts better to have Tua forcing teams to split time on the differences between the two. It would've been an almost reversed situation between Leak and Tebow back in 2006.

I don't think this was the big sticking point for Daboll though. The NFL is a less time-intensive job and he has a huge, young family. He thought he'd like college but I don't think he really appreciated the off-the-field/outside-the-filmroom aspect of college football that takes up most of your time.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Or he took it into consideration but felt his own judgement was better in this situation.

Arrogant? Perhaps.

Correct? Also perhaps.
I like our coach arrogant. Not so crazy about arrogant fans suggesting if only Saban could understand the wisdom of doing what they thought he should do.

Maybe if Saban would start listening to them he could win a title or two...oh, wait...

#### After a little reflection, I'm going to go get some exercise and take a break. I'm sorry if I generated negativity on what should be a happy board.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I happen to agree with the alleged sentiment that Daboll had about Tagovailoa by November. We ought to have been playing him. Not starting him, just playing him some to force teams to prepare for more than just stopping our run-based attack centered on the quarterback. I think it would've made Hurts better to have Tua forcing teams to split time on the differences between the two. It would've been an almost reversed situation between Leak and Tebow back in 2006.

I don't think this was the big sticking point for Daboll though. The NFL is a less time-intensive job and he has a huge, young family. He thought he'd like college but I don't think he really appreciated the off-the-field/outside-the-filmroom aspect of college football that takes up most of your time.
For the most part he played in a lot of games. But I know what you mean. He should have been given series/snaps when the game mattered and not during mop up duty. Which is what I advocated after the Vanderbilt game. But it seems to have all worked itself out. Do we really think CNS (after seeing what a Tua led offense can do) will not want that moving forward? Daboll probably thought Tua should have been put in November and it is more likely than not that he did get a bit frustrated. Possibly borderline ticked off. But in the end, the main goal got accomplished and I think CNS saw enough from Tua in the title game that he will run an offense very similar to when AJ, Cooper and Lacy wore Crimson. In other words it's all good.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban wanted Daboll to stay.

Daboll was frustrated to not get to play the QB that better fits his offense more than he did.

Saban tried to keep Daboll.

Daboll left.

Sounds to me like Daboll feared Saban wouldn't do what so many believe to be obvious.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Yeppers. And I think the reason Tua didn't play in November was that in he eyes of CNS he just wasn't ready. And in in the end that's all that matters. The Sugar Bowl was a little different in the aspect that our defense commanded and controlled that game completely and he wasn't needed although he was reportedly ready and had designed packages for the game. He was obviously needed in the championship game but CNS did the right thing holding him out until the second half. Why would you make the change in a tight score game right before halftime just to give the opposition extra time to plan and adjust? You don't.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For the most part he played in a lot of games. But I know what you mean. He should have been given series/snaps when the game mattered and not during mop up duty. Which is what I advocated after the Vanderbilt game. But it seems to have all worked itself out. Do we really think CNS (after seeing what a Tua led offense can do) will not want that moving forward? Daboll probably thought Tua should have been put in November and it is more likely than not that he did get a bit frustrated. Possibly borderline ticked off. But in the end, the main goal got accomplished and I think CNS saw enough from Tua in the title game that he will run an offense very similar to when AJ, Cooper and Lacy wore Crimson. In other words it's all good.
I hope you're right and Saban is not going to get more progressively conservative. Maybe he wouldn't like to go back to an AJ-type offense...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Tua's natural command as a passer dictates opening things up while still being a balanced offense. If we go more conservative with the kind of QB room we've got right now, it would be one of the more ridiculous blunders a legend could make.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
I hope you're right and Saban is not going to get more progressively conservative. Maybe he wouldn't like to go back to an AJ-type offense...
I'm hoping we go to an even more aggressive offense then what AJ ran. Tua's athletic ability and escapability is a game changer. That along with his vision that's always looking downfield, cannon of an arm, and throw it on a dime accuracy is a chance to do things never done at Alabama in my opinion.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There's a lot of things we can speculate on based on what ifs and things we don't know for sure.

Having said that, unless there's some serious progression from Hurts or regression from Tua, I think we all know who the starter will be. I can't imagine why Daboll would leave on that basis alone. To me it's more like, Daboll was never a college guy, and he has no desire to build up his resume as a college guy because he's not cut out for it anyway.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
There's a lot of things we can speculate on based on what ifs and things we don't know for sure.

Having said that, unless there's some serious progression from Hurts or regression from Tua, I think we all know who the starter will be. I can't imagine why Daboll would leave on that basis alone. To me it's more like, Daboll was never a college guy, and he has no desire to build up his resume as a college guy because he's not cut out for it anyway.
This isn't sour grapes (because he left) toward Daboll. But regardless of whether he could work under Saban or not, got frustrated or not. He had to jump on the opportunity to be an OC in the NFL. Because based on the guy's NFL track record as an OC. He'll be back as a position coach within three years, if that. I certainly hope not and maybe he'll go on to be one of the best OC's in the NFL. But his track record says otherwise. He had no choice but to jump on the offer and the $$$ that came with it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Only at the Capstone could we be one week into a reign as national champions and finding as much fault as we can over both how we got here and how we are going forward.

I do say this calmly and with a smile - it’s just kind of funny.....

Sterling91

Dec 7, 2016
Alabama
This may have already been mentioned somewhere in the eleven pages, but it is my impression that Daboll would have left to take OC with the Bills even if he had been 100% content with Saban/Bama/College football. Everyone knew that he prefers the NFL. He is from Buffalo, has a house there, and just looks like a Buffalo kind of guy. Outside of a head coaching gig, I cannot imagine a job he would want more than OC of the Bills.

So, is there any realistic situation where Daboll is offered the OC at the Bills and turns it down? I don't believe so. Besides, the guy worked with the NFL version of Saban. I have to imagine that he is used to not getting his way and would not be actively looking for any job to leave Tuscaloosa because his head coach disagreed with him. And for him, Bills OC is not just any job.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
What did I say negative about CNS? Saying that he favors game managers over potential game breakers when both are unproven isn’t exactly a debatable fact. Don’t see anything negative about that.
Until you gave me a neg, I never directed any criticism at you personally. I pointed out the absurdity of people going on about how they knew what Saban should do better than he does. You assumed I was directing that at you, and started dishing out negatives. I think the reason you responded as you did was because I was making a good point that made you uncomfortable.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Only the Bama fan base could turn one of the most wonderful moments in the history of the program, with great positive ramifications for the past and future, into a referendum on whether the greatest HC of all time has a "blind spot" with regard to QBs, and distract from the joy that the fan base should be basking in. How anyone can think that Saban didn't know what was going on is amazing. He knew what was going on, but chose the path he did. One could argue that his judgment was questionable, but why ? It worked out. He gave Jalen every chance, he proved without a shadow of a doubt that he was not up to facing good defenses. Neither he nor any possible "clubhouse" defenders can question that now.

Even if you disagree with Saban's decision to wait, surely you can understand why he waited. A 24-1 QB til the AU game, having just saved the MSU game by leading a late TD drive to win the game, completing 3 passes for 72 yards on the drive. He was still 24-1 entering the AU game. That one tarnished Jalen's "winner aura". Saban, then changed his approach to the QB position by seriously considering the possibility of Tua getting meaningful snaps apart from injury to Jalen. Clemson didn't need Tua, UGA did by the 2nd half. He put him in and let him loose - 24 passes in a half. Even after the bad int, he left him in and didn't constrain him.

But let's just nitpick and criticize CNS. It's one thing to disagree, but some of the comments are beyond the pale. I wanted Tua earlier myself, and kinda expressed it after AU, but I trust Saban's judgment over my own. He's certainly earned that and the respect to be disagreed with in a respectful manner. I know it's a message board but why spend most of the time griping and whining, especially over something that's already happened and resulted in a magical, transcendent moment ?

This is a great board, I can't imagine what most other Bama boards are doing. It amazes me.

Edit: I did not see Selma's post. It sums up what I elaborated on, except along with the smile, I am saddened. I've already expressed these sentiments earlier, but I'm not sorry for the repetition :).

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Only the Bama fan base could turn one of the most wonderful moments in the history of the program, with great positive ramifications for the past and future, into a referendum on whether the greatest HC of all time has a "blind spot" with regard to QBs, and distract from the joy that the fan base should be basking in. How anyone can think that Saban didn't know what was going on is amazing. He knew what was going on, but chose the path he did. One could argue that his judgment was questionable, but why ? It worked out. He gave Jalen every chance, he proved without a shadow of a doubt that he was not up to facing good defenses. Neither he nor any possible "clubhouse" defenders can question that now.

Even if you disagree with Saban's decision to wait, surely you can understand why he waited. A 24-1 QB til the AU game, having just saved the MSU game by leading a late TD drive to win the game, completing 3 passes for 72 yards on the drive. He was still 24-1 entering the AU game. That one tarnished Jalen's "winner aura". Saban, then changed his approach to the QB position by seriously considering the possibility of Tua getting meaningful snaps apart from injury to Jalen. Clemson didn't need Tua, UGA did by the 2nd half. He put him in and let him loose - 24 passes in a half. Even after the bad int, he left him in and didn't constrain him.

But let's just nitpick and criticize CNS. It's one thing to disagree, but some of the comments are beyond the pale. I wanted Tua earlier myself, and kinda expressed it after AU, but I trust Saban's judgment over my own. He's certainly earned that and the respect to be disagreed with in a respectful manner. I know it's a message board but why spend most of the time griping and whining, especially over something that's already happened and resulted in a magical, transcendent moment ?

This is a great board, I can't imagine what most other Bama boards are doing. It amazes me.
Yep, this whole discussion has taken all the luster of #17 for me. All the blood, sweat, and tears I put into this year and the board gives me this. SMH. So does this mean the whole Saban Field at BDS is off the table?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Yep, this whole discussion has taken all the luster of #17 for me. All the blood, sweat, and tears I put into this year and the board gives me this. SMH. So does this mean the whole Saban Field at BDS is off the table?
:) pretty good. But these sentiments do filter down to the media and the program, as well as to us weak fans who take it too seriously :). But we gotta keep the board straight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.