Daboll frustrated - Wanted to start Tua in November

Kpro

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 5, 2018
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...-tua-tagovailoa-earlier-season-195753312.html

-Wonder how much truth there is to this.

-Wonder if it’s one of the main reasons he left (lack of power).

-Seems like Tua had more than players frustrated with him not starting.

-No wonder there was a rumor that Tua may of transferred if he didn’t play in the Sugar Bowl or NC.

-Should CNS really get all the credit for finally seeing it and making the swap (NC game) the way others saw it for months prior?

Poor Tua, this article makes me scratch my head.

Well in the end everything worked out... that is if Tua is the starter moving forward :)

Last edited:

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
I'm surprised Tua wasn't brought in, in the Mississippi State game before Jalen finally brought us back in that one... Coincidentally, with a pass to Smith.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Every indication we have seems to point towards that report being true. Saban doesn't mettle much with the offensive playcalling but he usually has a heavy hand on the QB depth chart because as a defensive coach he knows that position can lose games for you like no other.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
All that matters - the change happened in time to save the championship. But this would not be why Daboll left. He was leaving anyway. Not sure who leaked this, but I don't care for this type of leak. It doesn't help anyone.

tidenative

Scout Team
Sep 25, 2016
Regardless of this article’s truth or not, or any other articles. The Crimson Tide will move forward. There will always be people out there that wish to try and divide the single greatest sports team in our time. #17

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There were rumors that he may leave if McDaniel got a starting job and vacated the Pats OC position. That rumor started before the Sugar Bowl was even played.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
All of that may be true, but Tua was still untested in real game action. TAMU, LSU, MSU, AU, and Clemson were all tight games that a bad freshmen mistake could have been the difference in. We went 4-1 in those games, so it's hard to criticize Saban too much. If Tua has struggled, and we lost another one of those games because of a fumble or a INT, it would have been the most criticized move in Saban's career here. The MSU actually gave a lot of people hope that Jalen was coming around as a passer, but we saw with AU, it just wasn't enough. Jalen took care of the ball, won a lot of games. He made some game changing plays in a lot of those games (despite what people want to admit). We were in the AU until the end. It looked like we may still have a chance to win until we kept killing ourselves at the end of the game. Sure, he could have thrown Tua in midway through the 4th quarter in Jordan Hare, but I doubt most people would have done that either.

It's obvious after the AU game that CNS was willing to give Tua a shot of things went bad. Jalen played well enough against Clenson to win comfortably, so it was hard to pull him.

I think it's as simple as that. CNS did what he thought was the best chance to win a Championship. He was also willing to make the change when it mattered most.

If that's why Daboll left, then all I'll say is that he'll know what it's like to make the hard decisions if he becomes a HC. Until then, I'll defer to CNS.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't see anywhere in that article where it says he wanted to start Tua, wanted to play Tua is accurate and a big difference. Anyway it worked out and got #17.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I believe the story. It makes sense. When we started to struggle against the better teams many of us fans thought maybe Tua was the answer. Contrary to what some people say I believe what the fans think about a situation is also thought by members of the team as well. I know the guys on the team were saying they were 100% behind Jalen but it was pretty obvious that some members of the team were in Tua's camp for a while and this story confirms it.

Last edited:

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
All that matters - the change happened in time to save the championship. But this would not be why Daboll left. He was leaving anyway. Not sure who leaked this, but I don't care for this type of leak. It doesn't help anyone.
Some of it is coming from Kiffin and his big flappers.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't think Daboll's playcalling every really did Hurts any favors. Starting from early on in the season I started asking about it. So, you consider this, you have a guy who is a (not very successful) pro guy, who perhaps wanted to have another QB playing, was he doing Hurts any favors? I do know though that you call plays for the guy you have on the field, not the one you want on the field.

Some things we'll never know for sure. What we do know though, and this much is crystal clear, is that Daboll ran off for the NFL in a hurry. I don't see that as saying a lot of good things about his commitment to being a college guy and developing college players, so frankly I don't care what he wanted.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is all true.

There was a reason he was leaving no matter what. He was more than frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.