Link: ESPN's Winners and Losers from NFL Draft Early Departures

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Great teams are helped and hurt every year by the NFL draft. Hurt because their best juniors leave, but helped because it opens doors for other great players, frees up scholarships and attracts great players who know that they will play early at a school that moves players out to the NFL so quickly.

What Clemson managed to do this year will help them in the short term, but may hurt them down the road. Keeping so many great players who are ready for the NFL will hurt their development of other players in their existing player pipeline while also keeping them from signing a few players who will be around for more than one more season.

In other words, IMO, this is only good for Clemson if they win it all next year. As good as Alabama will be next year, I just don't see that happening.
^^^this

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Pretty good assessment. I worry most about our secondary...
I think Deonte will be the man back their next year. I really didn't know he was that talented till Hootie went down. Diggs may be a star with his ball skills. He will be one of the few players who could potentially strike fear in opposing QB's heart if they know he will pick it off if its not perfect. The one person I really wish we could get back is Payne even more than Minkah I think he was the most important player on the defense.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I will be very surprised if Georgia doesn't see a drop off with all the talent they have leaving. I think they still win the East but I have hard time believing they will not see some form of a drop off in performance by losing what they are losing.
Kirby Smart has to be careful, that Alabama recruiting board will only be good for so long...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Thompson, Diggs, and Carter have all the talent to big time defensive backs. Still gonna need at least 3 more guys to step up. Undoubtedly true freshmen will be in the mix.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I think Deonte will be the man back their next year. I really didn't know he was that talented till Hootie went down. Diggs may be a star with his ball skills. He will be one of the few players who could potentially strike fear in opposing QB's heart if they know he will pick it off if its not perfect. The one person I really wish we could get back is Payne even more than Minkah I think he was the most important player on the defense.
IMO, Payne is far and away the biggest loss, with no apparent replacement. They may have to alter the scheme to cover his loss. Of course, Minkah's versatility, knowledge and leadership will also be tough to replace. But as everyone has said, Saban always addresses it successfully.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
Gon’ be hard to pick apart a new secondary when you’re running for your life.
You hit the nail on the head. Every year brings the cycle of strength at some positions, and weaknesses elsewhere.

All I know is, one thing I stopped worrying about years ago was next year's Alabama defense.

It may get bitten early in the season, but figures itself out when it matters. Especially the secondary. But, I think the pass rush will be killer next year. Davis up front... Lewis, Jennings.... Sick LB Corp overall. I'm sure they'll move some things around at NG.

Schedule should be easy enough for it to gel, before they reach the heart of the schedule.

No worries regarding offense. Just run the ball and I'm happy.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Would like to know how Dabo got 2 D lineman who were projected to be top 10 picks in the draft ( and have already won a national title and played for another) to come back to school. Players projected that high almost never come to school. Somebody in ITAT is financing some expensive insurance policies that are not above board by any means. We have had players come back for their Senior years- I understand that. But never anyone projected that high.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Would like to know how Dabo got 2 D lineman who were projected to be top 10 picks in the draft ( and have already won a national title and played for another) to come back to school. Players projected that high almost never come to school. Somebody in ITAT is financing some expensive insurance policies that are not above board by any means. We have had players come back for their Senior years- I understand that. But never anyone projected that high.
Schools are allowed to pay for those policies now.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I have a strong feeling that Clemson will be in the playoffs each year for a few years to come. The ACC is not that hard to win compared to our SEC. Trevor Lawrence will help get them there starting this coming year.

It is amazing Dabo got those players to stay this year instead of being a 1st rounder. It is also amazing that he gets his coaches to stay consistently without much turnover.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We've had guys stay for their senior years unexpectedly before including this year. There are a few Clemson got back that are real head scratchers because they were probably the first player taken at their position. When Barron and Hightower came back, they were hoping to solidify a shakier draft slot in their position groups (each had injuries that were going to affect their Pro Day/combine). When Allen came back, he was trying to avoid a deep year for the DL in the draft that was likely to drop him into the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't get why Clemson's Wilikins came back though because he was very likely the first interior linemen off the board.

I don't have any reason to expect that Dabo is advising his players poorly but I hope he's looking out for his guys. I know Saban would just about bar a kid from entering the facilities again with Wilikins draft stock.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I would be absolutely shocked if Clemson loses a game in the regular season at this point. They have no real challenger in the ACC this year(Miami?) and are loaded on the DL. They shouldn't face a real challenge until the playoffs. Wouldn't be surprised if Trevor Lawrence wins their QB job at some point considering Kelly Bryant's limitations.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have a strong feeling that Clemson will be in the playoffs each year for a few years to come. The ACC is not that hard to win compared to our SEC. Trevor Lawrence will help get them there starting this coming year.

It is amazing Dabo got those players to stay this year instead of being a 1st rounder. It is also amazing that he gets his coaches to stay consistently without much turnover.
It's hard to argue with "Hey man, the Lord has laid upon my heart to tell you that you need to stay another year. Yes, Yes, I know you're projected to be the first player picked. But you know what the good book says. 'The Lord works in mysterious ways' and 'My ways aren't your ways' and such. Now you do what you want to do. But the Lord knows best."

;)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It's hard to argue with "Hey man, the Lord has laid upon my heart to tell you that you need to stay another year. Yes, Yes, I know you're projected to be the first player picked. But you know what the good book says. 'The Lord works in mysterious ways' and 'My ways aren't your ways' and such. Now you do what you want to do. But the Lord knows best."

;)
and the Lord left this in your room.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Not about the money because what ever they are given even 100k they can make more on their signing bonuses.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Outside of outstanding cases, most cheating is truly the 100 dollar handshakes, no-interest car loans, and a thousand here or there to put kids or the parents up in a house or what have you.

Wilikins didn't get any money to come back. He got re-recruited by the staff or his teammates. In my opinion, to his own personal risk. He ought to be getting his pay day in the 1st round. Bryant and Ferrell at least were fringe 1st/2nd guys to many and were kinda in that Jon Allen position.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Outside of outstanding cases, most cheating is truly the 100 dollar handshakes, no-interest car loans, and a thousand here or there to put kids or the parents up in a house or what have you.

Wilikins didn't get any money to come back. He got re-recruited by the staff or his teammates. In my opinion, to his own personal risk. He ought to be getting his pay day in the 1st round. Bryant and Ferrell at least were fringe 1st/2nd guys to many and were kinda in that Jon Allen position.
They could end up with 4 1st round draft picks from their DL next year. That's absurd.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They could end up with 4 1st round draft picks from their DL next year. That's absurd.
A few will slide back because they will not be able to replicate their 2017 season. That's just the way it is. Which ones? No idea. But they will not all play as well next year.

Also, Alabama's o-line proved that they could all be blocked.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Clemson does a great job identifying and developing WR/TE, RB, and DL prospects. They haven't done so well on the OL which has probably cost their team quite a bit over the years. Boyd was a big game choke but partly because he'd get harassed by elite DLs. Saw the same thing with Bryant this year. They either need a generational QB or get better on the OL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.