Link: ESPN's Winners and Losers from NFL Draft Early Departures

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Clemson does a great job identifying and developing WR/TE, RB, and DL prospects. They haven't done so well on the OL which has probably cost their team quite a bit over the years. Boyd was a big game choke but partly because he'd get harassed by elite DLs. Saw the same thing with Bryant this year. They either need a generational QB or get better on the OL.
They are calling that 6'6 freshman coming in generational. At least thats what the scoutings gurus are saying.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Clemson does a great job identifying and developing WR/TE, RB, and DL prospects. They haven't done so well on the OL which has probably cost their team quite a bit over the years. Boyd was a big game choke but partly because he'd get harassed by elite DLs. Saw the same thing with Bryant this year. They either need a generational QB or get better on the OL.
Well, we will find out how good Trevor Lawrence is at some point. He and Fields are supposed to be real stars.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We've had guys stay for their senior years unexpectedly before including this year. There are a few Clemson got back that are real head scratchers because they were probably the first player taken at their position. When Barron and Hightower came back, they were hoping to solidify a shakier draft slot in their position groups (each had injuries that were going to affect their Pro Day/combine). When Allen came back, he was trying to avoid a deep year for the DL in the draft that was likely to drop him into the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't get why Clemson's Wilikins came back though because he was very likely the first interior linemen off the board.

I don't have any reason to expect that Dabo is advising his players poorly but I hope he's looking out for his guys. I know Saban would just about bar a kid from entering the facilities again with Wilikins draft stock.
Most recently DT's Ashawn and Reed and IIRC CJ Mosely did also. Like some have said it is like signing a 5* in recruiting when you get that additional year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
God bless em on the continued pursuit of generational players at QB. If Dabo wants to stay in the deepest end of the pool, he needs to get better on the offensive line both in terms of identifying talent out of HS and developing them on campus. They've gotten better at linebacker lately though. Use to be that OL and LB was exploitable...now really just OL.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
If they are sure fired first rounders CNS more than encourages them to do so. I wonder if Dabo does or doesn’t. I honestly not sure I could let Wilkins come back with his draft position. We’re talking about generational wealth. I’d try my best to encourage him to enter the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not to bump this thread but I just realized that Clemson also has 2 Five Star DEs in their 2018 class. So, not only do they return possibly 4 first round DL they also get 2 more 5 stars.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.