Link: ESPN's Winners and Losers from NFL Draft Early Departures

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Clemson: The Tigers lost on New Year's night but they were undoubtedly the biggest winners on draft deadline declaration day. Christian Wilkins' decision to return capped an incredible weekend after four potential draft departures - defensive linemen Clelin Ferrell and Austin Bryant, linebacker Kendall Joseph and cornerback Mark Fields -- confirmed at the team banquet that they will return in 2018. Mel Kiper had Wilkins as his top draft-eligible defensive tackle and Ferrell as his No. 2 draft-eligible defensive end. That both are back is remarkable. Clemson also brings back offensive tackle Mitch Hyatt, who will enter his fourth year as a starter. The Tigers have enough receiver depth to replace Deon Cain and Ray-Ray McCloud.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I suppose we were a "loser" in terms of early departures, but I think most fans that follow us closely expected all the players that left to leave. Keeping Damien is huge though. I hate losing Ridley, but I think as a whole the receiving corps will be better next year with the talent the freshmen have along with significant experience gained. I suppose I should worry about the secondary with all of our starters gone, but with the talent we have coupled with our secondary coaching I just don't seem to be. All other units I think will be just fine.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Great teams are helped and hurt every year by the NFL draft. Hurt because their best juniors leave, but helped because it opens doors for other great players, frees up scholarships and attracts great players who know that they will play early at a school that moves players out to the NFL so quickly.

What Clemson managed to do this year will help them in the short term, but may hurt them down the road. Keeping so many great players who are ready for the NFL will hurt their development of other players in their existing player pipeline while also keeping them from signing a few players who will be around for more than one more season.

In other words, IMO, this is only good for Clemson if they win it all next year. As good as Alabama will be next year, I just don't see that happening.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Dabo obviously has a different agenda than Saban. I think CNS would tell any potential 1st rounder to leave. Dabo is looking out for his team while Saban is looking out for the future of the individual which IMO is a much more altruistic approach.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Alabama may seem like a loser nationally but we came out a bit better than expected on early departures. We only lost those who absolutely should've left if we're being mindful of these young men and their life changing opportunities. We kept one guy - Damien Harris - who probably could've left but decided not to do so. He's only been our leading rusher the last two seasons. That's a big get for most schools but it is kinda lost in the shuffle at Alabama...at least to the national media. We also didn't lose anybody from that tier of player who leaves a year too soon because an agent got their ear or their life situation dictated it.

I'd say that Alabama is a seeming loser of early departures that actually a relative winner compared to how things go at many schools.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Great teams are helped and hurt every year by the NFL draft. Hurt because their best juniors leave, but helped because it opens doors for other great players, frees up scholarships and attracts great players who know that they will play early at a school that moves players out to the NFL so quickly.

What Clemson managed to do this year will help them in the short term, but may hurt them down the road. Keeping so many great players who are ready for the NFL will hurt their development of other players in their existing player pipeline while also keeping them from signing a few players who will be around for more than one more season.

In other words, IMO, this is only good for Clemson if they win it all next year. As good as Alabama will be next year, I just don't see that happening.
Posted this last year, but I'll do it again - I have no understanding of Dabo's roster management.

Going back to the 2013 class through the 2018 class, Clemson has signed 117 players (19.5 players per class).

On the 2017 roster, I count 74 players that were offered scholarships as a recruit. I'm sure Hunter Renfrow has one by now, so that puts the number up to 75.

With the seven seniors and two early departures, the number drops to 66 players. Currently, they have 15 members in the 2018 class.

Here's the class breakdown for the 2018 roster from what I can tell:

SR: 23
rsJR: 9
JR: 11
rsSO: 9
SO: 14
rsFR: - (couldn't find a list)
FR: 15

That's not at all ideal.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Dabo obviously has a different agenda than Saban. I think CNS would tell any potential 1st rounder to leave. Dabo is looking out for his team while Saban is looking out for the future of the individual which IMO is a much more altruistic approach.
Possibly, but we don't know what Dabo told those players either...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

If they don`t, I`d wager that some folks might be looking cross eyed at Dabo.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Pretty good assessment. I worry most about our secondary...
I felt like this before, and it never really materialized... but perhaps this is the year that the offense can really carry the team anyway. The amount of talent for the group that will now be sophomores is amazing.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not dismissive of it, but I think back to Georgia last year keeping Michel, Chubb, Carter and Bellamy. There is no way they win the SEC and get to the national title game without those players. At the same time, I don't think Georgia is in a worse position going into next season now that those players are gone. Granted, Clemson's program is in a different position right now than Georgia's. Georgia is building and Clemson is sustaining.

If I were a Clemson fan, I would be elated because it does put them in a better position to potentially win the title. Saban himself subscribes to the belief in playing the players that give you the best opportunity to win now.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think Alabama may seem like a loser nationally but we came out a bit better than expected on early departures. We only lost those who absolutely should've left if we're being mindful of these young men and their life changing opportunities. We kept one guy - Damien Harris - who probably could've left but decided not to do so. He's only been our leading rusher the last two seasons. That's a big get for most schools but it is kinda lost in the shuffle at Alabama...at least to the national media. We also didn't lose anybody from that tier of player who leaves a year too soon because an agent got their ear or their life situation dictated it.

I'd say that Alabama is a seeming loser of early departures that actually a relative winner compared to how things go at many schools.
They can say we are a loser, but our players see enough rotation time that guys behind those leaving are about as good as the one leaving. Not always, but usually.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
This is something that happens every year and the following season CNS always seems to have someone to step up and fill the position with someone equal or better than the one who has left. Finding the next "Minka" may be more difficult.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Overall, I can't disagree with much of the analysis, but it is just "on paper". In the case of Alabama, I'd consider last year when we lost two great edge rushers, a monster LB, half the secondary, and a standout OL. Then, this season was plagued with LB injuries that further hindered the pass rush. But it still worked out pretty well. I'm confident that next year will as well, because Saban just doesn't have a "rebuild" mentality. He builds a program and then he maintains it, looking into the future and planning for departures and injuries better than anyone I've ever seen. He's got plenty of laurels to rest on, but never has and never will, until he's completely done. When I look at the roster and see those 4 & 5 star rising sophomores, RS freshmen, and know the recruits that will be coming to push them, I have little worry about the talent pool for 2018. I also have no worry about the coaching staff turnover, and I have not had any worry since about year 3 of the Saban era. He's got this, and it won't miss a beat.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I will be very surprised if Georgia doesn't see a drop off with all the talent they have leaving. I think they still win the East but I have hard time believing they will not see some form of a drop off in performance by losing what they are losing.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i am going to lmao if they don't get in next season

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.