Link: Thing of Beauty - TUA Game Winning TD (HD New Perspective)

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I find myself drawn back to watch this play often. I've discovered I'm not tech savvy enough to figure out how to save/download a copy to my computer - would make watching it easier. Until then, it's worth the effort to retrieve it to be able to watch and enjoy it. Just incredible...

Edit to add that a more technically savvy friend told me how to do it, then, it was like duh. Ha!

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
For those who know QB play, was Smith the primary route the whole way, or was Tua genuinely prepared to read and throw to any of the routes? Thanks. Either way, IMHO, what he did with his head and eyes was NFL worthy.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
For those who know QB play, was Smith the primary route the whole way, or was Tua genuinely prepared to read and throw to any of the routes? Thanks. Either way, IMHO, what he did with his head and eyes was NFL worthy.
Smith was the primary route, however Tua would not have thrown that pass if the safety didn't drift, he would have thrown to another receiver

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The thing that struck me on my 1,465th viewing is this: DeVonta looks like he's has at least two gears left as he blows by the corner. He appears to be coasting.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Smith was the primary route, however Tua would not have thrown that pass if the safety didn't drift, he would have thrown to another receiver
Yep - He had D Harris wide open for at least a 15 yard gain and J Jeudy open for at least a 20 yard gain with the safety in the middle. If that safety drifts toward Smith, JJ would have been even more wide open for at least a first down.

Crazy, but you guys had 3 receivers wide open on that play - WIDE OPEN. Their defensive secondary totally fell apart.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, at about the 20 yard line the DB in his rear view mirror got a lot smaller
Smith also beat MSU to win that game with less than 30 seconds left after Papps missed a FG with 2 minutes left that would have given Alabama the lead.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is what happens you don't "do you" in a big spot. Not much of a Cover-2 shell team because they trust their veteran corners. In a big spot they played a defense they didn't probably practice leading up to the game due to expecting a heavy dose of Hurts running and throwing on the run. Completely blew it. Linebackers inexplicably ran off with the Y leaving D. Harris wide open. Linebackers running off with the Y opened up Juedy over the middle. The single receiver side corner didn't do his one important job: get the redirect into the field and not allow a release up the sidelines. So basically it was all on 1 safety who had half the field: outside the hash, Juedy gets the pass with an opportunity to make a man miss for the first down and maybe touchdown OR inside the hash, and Tua throws it to the front pylon for Smitty.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
This is what happens you don't "do you" in a big spot. Not much of a Cover-2 shell team because they trust their veteran corners. In a big spot they played a defense they didn't probably practice leading up to the game due to expecting a heavy dose of Hurts running and throwing on the run. Completely blew it. Linebackers inexplicably ran off with the Y leaving D. Harris wide open. Linebackers running off with the Y opened up Juedy over the middle. The single receiver side corner didn't do his one important job: get the redirect into the field and not allow a release up the sidelines. So basically it was all on 1 safety who had half the field: outside the hash, Juedy gets the pass with an opportunity to make a man miss for the first down and maybe touchdown OR inside the hash, and Tua throws it to the front pylon for Smitty.
And that`s all got to be scanned, diagnosed and executed in what, 2-3 seconds ? Way to go O line !

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yep - He had D Harris wide open for at least a 15 yard gain and J Jeudy open for at least a 20 yard gain with the safety in the middle. If that safety drifts toward Smith, JJ would have been even more wide open for at least a first down.

Crazy, but you guys had 3 receivers wide open on that play - WIDE OPEN. Their defensive secondary totally fell apart.
82 irv smith was also a couple of steps past his coverage as well. tough throw to make, but he was open with green grass in front of him for a ways

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the only time i really watched uga this year was against the barn round 1, against oklahoma and against us. i was not really impressed with their linebackers, despite all of the hype they got. they were capable of making some good plays here and there, but they got out of position a lot leaving stuff wide open for big gains.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I like the way the field looks like an ant hill after you kick it with all the Bama players running around.
Thing I'm most impressed with....the steadiness of the camera!

Would have looked like a strobe effect recording had I been holding the camera.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Thing I'm moody impressed with....the steadiness of the camera!

Would have looked like a strobe effect recording had I been holding the camera.
I think they were a well-coached, very veteran defense. I didn't think they really demonstrated the same level of athleticism we had at any of the three levels even with injuries taking starting inside and outside backers off the field.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.