New California declares 'independence' from California in bid to become 51st state

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
US Constitution
Article IV said:
...no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress
So these referenda are useful to gauge public sentiment, but they are as constitutionally binding as my horoscope it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If that's the case then it has a chance after all... JS
In the 1855 Virginia gubernatorial election, the vote was 156,629. In the 1859 election (the last before the War to Prevent Southern Independence), the vote had been 148,808. In the 1863 gubernatorial election, the total vote count in the "loyal" gubernatorial election was 3,755, and this was the government that Abraham Lincoln recognized as the legitimate government of Virginia. I don't think even the Trumpster has the stones to do that.

Of course, Article IV Section 4 says "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government." Lincoln and his cronies used this to declare that elected state governments, even after the war was over, were not "republican" governments and overthrew them on that basis, and appointed military governments in their stead.
Maybe today's Republicans could take a page out of Honest Abe's play book, declare that California does not have a republican form of government and overthrow the state government by military force and pick twenty quislings, declare that they are the state government, and get them to agree to divide California up. After all, if Lincoln did it, it must be okay, right?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
In the 1855 Virginia gubernatorial election, the vote was 156,629. In the 1859 election (the last before the War to Prevent Southern Independence), the vote had been 148,808. In the 1863 gubernatorial election, the total vote count in the "loyal" gubernatorial election was 3,755, and this was the government that Abraham Lincoln recognized as the legitimate government of Virginia. I don't think even the Trumpster has the stones to do that.

Of course, Article IV Section 4 says "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government." Lincoln and his cronies used this to declare that elected state governments, even after the war was over, were not "republican" governments and overthrew them on that basis, and appointed military governments in their stead.
Maybe today's Republicans could take a page out of Honest Abe's play book, declare that California does not have a republican form of government and overthrow the state government by military force and pick twenty quislings, declare that they are the state government, and get them to agree to divide California up. After all, if Lincoln did it, it must be okay, right?
today's republicans can't even work the phones and light switches in the white house. so i think we're safe.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
that will probably really bother the lincoln was history's greatest monster contingent.
I'll ask colleagues in the "Lincoln was the most overrated president in American history and was not a particularly nice man" contingent if they know anyone in the "lincoln was history's greatest monster" contingent.
Maybe we can clear this up.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'll ask colleagues in the "Lincoln was the most overrated president in American history and was not a particularly nice man" contingent if they know anyone in the "lincoln was history's greatest monster" contingent.
Maybe we can clear this up.
be wary, they might think you are a splitter

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
California, to me, is a little odd politically. Much like New York, it is dominated by the liberals and Democrats in the Bay Area, down the central coast, and Los Angeles. Much of the Central Valley, and the deserts are dominated by conservatives and Republican voters - many of whom posted "U.S. Govt. Caused Drought" signs on their farm properties during the most recent drought. The extreme northern California in the mountains between Oregon and the Central Valley are libertarian in that they do not want government interference (particularly with their marijuana cultivation), but want the free healthcare as well. There was a group of them wanting to break away as the state of Jefferson a couple years ago I believe.

This won't pass, but I'd like to see it happen. The people going through the process West Virginia went through is at least a constitutionally possible idea, so I respect that. New California wouldn't be as conservative as Alabama, but they wouldn't be as left as California either, maybe more like a North Carolina.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.