Question: Bama vs Barn (Iron Bowl...basketball style)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The Good: great win, especially without Sexton; Wimp doing the color, on the radio broadcast.
The Bad: the refs; Bruce Pearl.
The Ugly: The Crimson Tide Sports Network has gotten horribly unreliable. Missed the entire run, where we went up by 10 or so. IOW, all the same complaints as our last few games. Did manage to hear enough of the game to know the refs were awful.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The Good: great win, especially without Sexton; Wimp doing the color, on the radio broadcast.
The Ugly: The Crimson Tide Sports Network has gotten horribly unreliable. Missed the entire run, where we went up by 10 or so. IOW, all the same complaints as our last few games. Did manage to hear enough of the game to know the refs were awful.
You'll have to see it to know just how awful.:)

-----------------------

Alabama guards are big compared to Auburn's and just about as quick except for one AU guard. This size helped out as Bama played good defense.

Petty played good defense along with scoring but didn't have much in numbers for anything else; 1 rebound and 3 turnovers. I think his role was hit the outside shot and get back and defend.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Wimp has been a real treasure this season, hate I didn't hear him. Solid win for the good guys tonight. We still haven't figured out how to cut down on the senseless turnovers. Once we do that, i believe we will not only be a tournament team, but a team that can makes some noise in the big dance. As much as it pains me to say this, Auburn has a solid team and I think they will continue to make noise in the SEC so that was a big win for us. I'm still hoping to make it to T'Town for the Mizzu game :)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I hope we get the injuries under control - our last 11 games will be a HUGE bear....

9 of the 11 are VS teams in Top 36 of the RPI.....the other two teams are in the 60s.... crazy deep conference this year.

UPCOMING GAMES TIME
63 Jan. 20 Mississippi State 8:30 PM
78 Jan. 23 @ Ole Miss 8:30 PM
9 Jan. 27 Oklahoma 2:15 PM
29 Jan. 31 Missouri 9:00 PM
33 Feb. 3 @ Florida 4:00 PM
63 Feb. 6 @ Mississippi State 7:00 PM
14 Feb. 10 Tennessee 6:00 PM
68 Feb. 13 LSU 9:00 PM
12 Feb. 17 @ Kentucky 2:00 PM
8 Feb. 21 @ Auburn 8:30 PM
24 Feb. 24 Arkansas 6:00 PM
33 Feb. 27 Florida 7:00 PM
36 Mar. 3 @ Texas A&M 2:00 PM

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Was watching SECN coverage this morning and in a post game interview from last night Petty was asked how he felt about beating Auburn. He replied "It felt good. We play them again this season and we're going to beat them again!"

Swagger! :p

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Wimp has been a real treasure this season, hate I didn't hear him. Solid win for the good guys tonight. We still haven't figured out how to cut down on the senseless turnovers.
"They're putting the ball on the floor too much. They need some space between them. When they do that, they will make better passes, and things will work out." (More or less..................sorry, my memory is not like Selma's.)

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Great win by the good guys. I thought some of the calls against us were just bad. This was Avery's best coaching performance since he has been at Alabama. Herb Jones is going to be a star eventually. I hope when Sexton comes back he sees how well the offense can work if you stay with in it. With his skill set and the other guys playing like they played tonight we will be a tough out.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I thought Petty carried us, Ingram was solid. but couldn't shoot for anything last night. He did a great job of getting to the line though. Herb Jones played his best game in crimson. He frustrated AU's PG harper all night. His length and defensive ability really gave Harper problems. He also did a great job handling the ball for much of the 2nd half. I said after the LSU game that if we played defense, we were going to be a really good team. We held the boogs to their lowest scoring total this season. To be fair, AU has no inside game at all. They really miss Wiley. They are a skilled 3 point shooting team, but you live by the 3 and die by the 3.
RTR

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I thought Petty carried us, Ingram was solid. but couldn't shoot for anything last night. He did a great job of getting to the line though. Herb Jones played his best game in crimson. He frustrated AU's PG harper all night. His length and defensive ability really gave Harper problems. He also did a great job handling the ball for much of the 2nd half. I said after the LSU game that if we played defense, we were going to be a really good team. We held the boogs to their lowest scoring total this season. To be fair, AU has no inside game at all. They really miss Wiley. They are a skilled 3 point shooting team, but you live by the 3 and die by the 3.
RTR
I thought the same about the defense from Bama's guards. Bama's guards had the size advantage and are still very mobile.

There were a couple of offensive trips when it looked liked Coach Johnson posted the Alabama guard being covered by the small AU guard. Jones did this with success and then the next trip it was Petty being covered by the same player but he tried to post too far away from the basket so it did not work.

Coach Johnson mentioned in the post-game conference that Jones has grown taller and is now 6'8" to 6'9" ish. Jones is very versatile; I'd like to see him shoot a little more. He hit at least one short-to-mid-range jumper last night and is about the only player that will take that shot.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Maybe but he is so streaky it is hard to tell what triggers it.

I sometimes think all of the players play a little better when Sexton is not on the floor but I've also seen the offense wilt with Sexton on the bench.

I agree. I mentioned that I watched Petty playing ball in HS, and he always has been a streaky shooter, but He never really had to try hard to score in HS.... So, I think he's adjusting to College level and continue to get better... I just need him to be consistent for 2-3 games in a row... that will be enough to get his confidence up in a healthy way. Right now, it's his mentality... overcome that and he'll be very very good. I don't know who's the problem is on the offense... I've always felt like Sexton set the tone on offense... I feel like we should be like 16-2 by now... But this is different team since Georgia loss. Let's see what happens Saturday.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
Anyone here think Petty plays better without Sexton on the floor?
I know it sounds crazy but I think everyone plays better without Sexton on the floor. That's not a knock on Sexton, it's just that when you have a talent like that out there, I think it's easy for the other 4 to lose some of that sense of urgency and rely on Collin to bail everyone out. If we can get everyone playing hard and taking some of the onus off Collin, then we could move into that next tier of basketball teams. Hopefully Collin can get healthy, Donta is 100% soon, and we can make a nice push to finish off the conference season and hit the SEC tourney with momentum.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Few thoughts on the game:

- Really liked Petty and Jones stepping up with Sexton out. Wondered where our offense would come from and those 2 guys answered.
- Herb Jones running the pick and role is a downright nightmare. I really liked that wrinkle and hope CAJ continues to evolve it.
- If we get Sexton back 100% and CAJ can somehow get all of our talent to gel then we still have a shot at the NCAA tournament.
- I have no idea how AU won 14 games in a row. They're small, turn the ball over a lot and miss free throws although according to some AU fans the missed free throws were an anomaly.
- Most importantly - Alabama basketball is undefeated since Tua went into the NC game :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Few thoughts on the game:

- Really liked Petty and Jones stepping up with Sexton out. Wondered where our offense would come from and those 2 guys answered.
- Herb Jones running the pick and role is a downright nightmare. I really liked that wrinkle and hope CAJ continues to evolve it.
- If we get Sexton back 100% and CAJ can somehow get all of our talent to gel then we still have a shot at the NCAA tournament.
This will be the big thing. If the team can continue to gel and every gets healthy, we are dangerous team.
- I have no idea how AU won 14 games in a row. They're small, turn the ball over a lot and miss free throws although according to some AU fans the missed free throws were an anomaly.
Even after last night, they are a 77% FT shooting team (#11 in the nation). They shot 64% last night.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Jones looks like he has the all around game to have a lengthy career ala Keith Askins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.