Washington State quarterback Tyler Hilinksi, 21, was found dead

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I heard Coach Stallings on Finebaum when all of the targeting penalties were first put in play. He basically said, "Take the face masks off of the helmets and it will stop all of that stuff." He may be right.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I heard Coach Stallings on Finebaum when all of the targeting penalties were first put in play. He basically said, "Take the face masks off of the helmets and it will stop all of that stuff." He may be right.
Same with going back to soft helmets, like the old leather ones.

No amount of padding is going to circumvent Newtons laws - the sudden stopping of motion of the head, causing the brain to smash the inside of the skull, is what causes these injuries. The more protection you give them, the less the players think about using their head as a weapon.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
You can't take face-masks off without removing helmets. People could die.

In the long run I could see the game ditching helmets and shoulder pads and resembling rugby more in terms of how tackling is done. That or a virtual "flag" football. As much as I love football I don't think the game we grew up with will be sustainable in the long run. There will be changes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.