UA student under investigation after using racial slurs on social media

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think there are any laws that make it illegal for you to be a racist piece of garbage. Trash like her will just scream free speech. Although now if she ever actually graduates from any university, I seriously doubt she will be able to find a job.
Not laws, but there is a university code of conduct - I've not read it in years and I'm sure it's changed since I attended, but this might be covered which would allow them to boot her...

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
If you felt that way why put it on video let alone social media. When you are with like minded people say what ever you want in private doesn't make it right but at least you won't drag down the Alabama with you. I will be glad when that word loses its bite.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
UA may have a tough time with not so much booting her as the lawsuit to follow it (or more likely the settlement), but other students can easily make the choice to leave easy on her by freely not associating with her.

ETA: And I don't want her to get money for being a piece of garbage so I'd rather UA not boot her.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
UA may have a tough time with not so much booting her as the lawsuit to follow it (or more likely the settlement), but other students can easily make the choice to leave easy on her by freely not associating with her.

ETA: And I don't want her to get money for being a piece of garbage so I'd rather UA not boot her.
She’s made herself unemployable. First thing that will pop up on Google searches now. Punishment enough.

What a shame

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Thank goodness for social media.
"If you're an a-hole, make sure you let everyone else know."
Hopefully, she'll feel some remorse and slither back to Jersey voluntarily.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I need to look a bit more closely, but it’s a good bet what she said is going to be constitutionally protected.
I'd love to hear an attorney's opinion on this one. IIRC, each student signs the CofC when when they're accepted, so one has to wonder if there are exceptions to 1A for situations like this.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I'd love to hear an attorney's opinion on this one. IIRC, each student signs the CofC when when they're accepted, so one has to wonder if there are exceptions to 1A for situations like this.
Don’t see any way around it. UA is a public university, an agent of the state, and therefore bound by the 1A. FIRE and organizations like it have litigated racism on campus many times. Any free speech exception would be a constitutional violation and it would have to be struck from the CofC. It is well settled law.

Would she sue? Maybe. She outed herself and is no longer protected by FERPA, so she has nothing to lose by doing so. Hopefully, she’ll simply withdraw and slink back home.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Don’t see any way around it. UA is a public university, an agent of the state, and therefore bound by the 1A. FIRE and organizations like it have litigated racism on campus many times. Any free speech exception would be a constitutional violation and it would have to be struck from the CofC. It is well settled law.

Would she sue? Maybe. She outed herself and is no longer protected by FERPA, so she has nothing to lose by doing so. Hopefully, she’ll simply withdraw and slink back home.
i think i saw where the sorority already booted her. in one of her videos she said that her sorority meant everything to her.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
The comments section after the article degraded quickly. Not surprising when talking about racism but sad how we cannot have a civil conversation.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I feel the only fight that will come in this is if the University of Alabama is retributive towards the sorority. There may be an amount of pressure from the AD to do something if this becomes a recruiting factor the the football staff. Landon Collins and Damien Harris have come out hard on the girl and the sorority for enabling this girl. Lets remember these girls are coached to not even smoke when a camera is around. She had a bunch of her sisters around her and nobody stopped her because they're either pretty much like her or weak-willed and underdeveloped spiritually to allow that to happen.

I get the feeling Alpha Phi's UA chapter is going to take some punishment for this event and they may fight a bit over it. I don't know what the block seating arrangement is these days but wouldn't surprise me if they lose whatever they've got for 2018.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It's a problem when you recruit heavily out of state. You end up with a bunch of kids who don't care about your state, your school, its reputation, its alumni or traditions and are only there to party.
You don’t have to care about a school’s traditions. Just don’t be a racist jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.