UA student under investigation after using racial slurs on social media

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What she did was contemptible, and she deserves everything that comes down on her.

On the flip side, I hope it's something she learns from. While I never did anything approaching this, the fact is that most everyone here did something that was embarrassing when you were twenty, the difference being there was no ubiquitous social media in that day. (Amazingly enough, if this girl was a guy who play quarterback, we'd be given this line of reasoning, too. And no, I'm not directing this at any particular person here, I'm just saying that the general soundtrack surrounding it would be somewhat different).

As far as being from the North, this so falls into the "see, I told you so" category that it's not even funny. I've lived the bulk of my life (that wasn't spent overseas) in the Southern USA (Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas)......I ran into more whites hating blacks up north than I ever did down south. (Everyone knows about the three dead guys in the infamous "Mississippi Burning" murders......why do so few know about the Duluth lynchings?).

And it goes without saying I'm not in any way justifying the South's overt racism, either. It's just another case of people being people.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I'll read your cases. It's not my field. Her video seems pretty close to incitement, or as much as I could stand to look at it...
I doubt it. The incitement exception is extremely narrow and well defined. I don't see how a court with any sense could say this violates either prong of Brandenburg. As it is, it's just a drunk, racist moron making an absolute fool of herself on camera.

All that being said, she would be pants on head stupid to bring this suit. It would be a lengthy, expensive and ultimately not constructive trial. Each day of trial would be another day her name would be in the news as a confirmed racist. She would probably win, but it would be a pluperfect example of a Pyrrhic victory.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I doubt it. The incitement exception is extremely narrow and well defined. I don't see how a court with any sense could say this violates either prong of Brandenburg. As it is, it's just a drunk, racist moron making an absolute fool of herself on camera.

All that being said, she would be pants on head stupid to bring this suit. It would be a lengthy, expensive and ultimately not constructive trial. Each day of trial would be another day her name would be in the news as a confirmed racist. She would probably win, but it would a pluperfect example of a Pyrrhic victory.
Based on what I've read, I don't think this is even a concern. I think she's packed up, moving back to Jersey and going to try and rebuild her life. Good luck to her and I hope this is a true learning experience as usually painful issues like this are. This is one of those "college kids do & say the dumbest things" moments. She wins 2018 so far.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Based on what I've read, I don't think this is even a concern. I think she's backed up, moving back to Jersey and going to try and rebuild her life. Good luck to her and I hope this is a true learning experience as usually painful issues like this are. This is one of those "college kids do & say the dumbest things" moments. She wins 2018 so far.
Yeah. In many ways I really do feel bad for her. She's what, 19(?) and probably the product of the environment she was raised in. I'm hardly the same person now I was at that age, and she'll have this albatross around her neck for the rest of her days. Hopefully she'll learn and grow, and I do hope her life isn't totally ruined.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Yeah. In many ways I really do feel bad for her. She's what, 19(?) and probably the product of the environment she was raised in. I'm hardly the same person now I was at that age, and she'll have this albatross around her neck for the rest of her days. Hopefully she'll learn and grow, and I do hope her life isn't totally ruined.
Well, hopefully the social media gods will do her a solid and delete the videos.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wow, her parents must be so proud.
This is the direction i was heading. This is the home she grew up in.

Young Miss Barber didn't learn this in a vacuum. I don't think her parents are embarrassed so much as they are outed.

Racist stuff aside, she was clearly taught that she could do no wrong, and that that so long as she brayed loud and long and fast enough, and used enough bad words, the world was her oyster.

I kind of feel sorry for all of them. Their lives will not be peaceful or happy ones.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Young Miss Barber didn't learn this in a vacuum. I don't think her parents are embarrassed so much as they are outed.

Racist stuff aside, she was clearly taught that she could do no wrong, and that that so long as she brayed loud and long and fast enough, and used enough bad words, the world was her oyster.

I kind of feel sorry for all of them. Their lives will not be peaceful or happy ones.
maybe she can grow up to be president one day

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

This is not always the case. Life experiences and environments outside of the home, especially during the teenage years and early adulthood, can push folks in many different directions and totally opposite from how they were raised or from the belief systems of their parents. And, they can change very rapidly.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is not always the case. Life experiences and environments outside of the home, especially during the teenage years and early adulthood, can push folks in many different directions and totally opposite from how they were raised or from the belief systems of their parents. And, they can change very rapidly.
and there's always the chance that once she arrived in tuscaloosa and got the idea that this was acceptable so was able to let if fly.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

there is another video out there. Someone recorded her talking to a "friend" after this all went viral. I use friend in quotes because she likely recorded it.

In this one, Barber is whining about what happened "to her"

She says she isn't a racist because she "f'ed a football player"

"everyone knows I'm funny as s" (So I guess she was joking?)

"her parents aren't around (shocking) but her grandparents are but it's ok cause they are racist as F too"

and for whatever reason she brags "I F'ed like 9 Pikes this year"

Clearly she is someone we should all be happy to have away from Bama, unless you are a Pike of course

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
there is another video out there. Someone recorded her talking to a "friend" after this all went viral. I use friend in quotes because she likely recorded it.

In this one, Barber is whining about what happened "to her"

She says she isn't a racist because she "f'ed a football player"

"everyone knows I'm funny as s" (So I guess she was joking?)

"her parents aren't around (shocking) but her grandparents are but it's ok cause they are racist as F too"

and for whatever reason she brags "I F'ed like 9 Pikes this year"

Clearly she is someone we should all be happy to have away from Bama, unless you are a Pike of course
All the Pikes are high fivin' for running a train on her as well. Also, all the football players are asking who banged her. Probably Damien which allowed him to speak on the matter. ;)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, I feel for her, but she needed this life lesson.

This will be forgotten soon enough if she keeps her head straight and learns from it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Ms. Barber finally says something just about everybody can agree with.

Barber told the New York Post that she has received threatening phone calls since the video went viral — calls, she said, that “came out of nowhere.” A friend advised her not to post the videos, but Barber said she didn’t listen. “I’m an idiot. There’s no excuse. I did something really bad,” she told the newspaper.
The good news for her is that she does not have to remain an idiot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.